The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy asymmetrical sweet growl, has anyone tried one of these Alexanders yet?
Forget the octave FX etc., I'm just excited about the OD + clean blend.

Digital, damn, can't mod it.

·
Registered
24,374 Posts
Alexander make some interesting pedals. I like their Calavera phaser.

I made myself a clone of the old Gretsch Contrafuzz. It was called the Contrafuzz because it works in reverse of a normal fuzz. Typically, when you pick a note, it starts out seriously fuzzy, then cleans up as it decays. The Contrafuzz works in reverse; starting out lean and getting fuzzier as you hold the note. It does this by splitting the signal at input, applying serious gain to the note, and mixing that fuzzed signal in at a lower level with the clean signal. If it's a normal guitar, the clean note quickly subsides after initial pick attack. However, the fuzzed version hangs in there for a while, such that you initially hear mostly clean, and then hear mostly fuzz.

·
Registered
24,374 Posts
I encourage experimenting with crossover distortion. It clips the "sides" of the waveform, rather than the peaks. I'll note in passing that the old Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 uses a combination of regular clipping and crossover distortion (done via D7/D8 here: https://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/schematics/boss-hm2-heavy-metal-schematic.png ). ZVEX produces/produced a pedal called Machine, that explicitly produced crossover distortion. I suspect it was a rather niche market, because you don't hear much chatter about it.

I tried to provide a blendable use of clipping and crossover distortion in that Contrafrizz pedal. I have to say that crossover distortion and bridge humbuckers are like chocolate and peanut butter: a perfect match. Consider using Schottky or Germanium diodes for introducing crossover distortion.

P

·
0 Posts
Defender and Stargate were pretty much the same game, were they not?
They were based off the same sort of game, like brothers, but completely different in how they behaved. Stargate was the updated version, but Defender had mojo. It was like the enemy ships were alive. I still have an arcade Williams Defender Machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts