• Vibrolux + pedal in normal channel

Votes: 3 42.9%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas - i need some help here.

I have in my possession two fine old school type amps - one Vibrolux and one AC15. Running them together yields a fantastic base tone. The sum is truly even better than it's parts. The AC circuit, using an EF86, gives mid range and some grit to the signal. The Vibrolux provides the basic tones and the lows and highs and is a bit cleaner. So while the AC15 couldn't be the only amp, it does add something pretty special to the mix.

The question is, will I even get away with this rig? While I gig on a frequent basis I've never even tried brining or running two amps before. What happens when I get calls for another band...do I lose points for showing up with such a complicated rig?

The alternatives would be:

1. Sell both amps and get one that covers a bit more territory. There's a really nice DrZ Z-lux local to me that might be the most flexible grab and go amp around and with the addition of a mid knob and master volume allows me a few more flavors of the Fender sound. I actually brought it to my rehearsal space last week and A/B'd it with my Vibrolux and decided it wasn't $1500 better...but I'm rethinking that position. Maybe what it offers is worth the scratch if I don't need to haul around 2 amps...

2. Run a pedal into the "normal" channel on the vibrolux to give a broader frequency spectrum. I can even shoot for a pedal like the Kingsley Squire TB to approximate what the Vox is doing (I've had this on order since the start of the new year but it will be months before it's ready still).

What do you think TGP? Is two amps reasonable or should I shoot for a one amp rig?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
TGP?!?!?! :(

Anyway, it all boils down to how much work you're willing to do. I tried it for a while with two combo amps in stereo. I quickly decided that the benefit of ping-pong delays and whooshy flangers wasn't worth hauling the extra gear.

However, if you REALLY like the tone, there's nothing wrong with a more complex rig as long as you can set it up and tear it down fairly quickly and are capable of reliably dialing it in for soundcheck. For me personally, if I had to spend a lot of extra time on someone's rig during soundcheck, that would start to grate on me after a while. If you've got it all figured-out, then go with your heart (and your strong back).

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
Save your back and bring the kemper! Sound guys will thank you too :)

Reactions: bw66

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TGP?!?!?! :(

Anyway, it all boils down to how much work you're willing to do. I tried it for a while with two combo amps in stereo. I quickly decided that the benefit of ping-pong delays and whooshy flangers wasn't worth hauling the extra gear.

However, if you REALLY like the tone, there's nothing wrong with a more complex rig as long as you can set it up and tear it down fairly quickly and are capable of reliably dialing it in for soundcheck. For me personally, if I had to spend a lot of extra time on someone's rig during soundcheck, that would start to grate on me after a while. If you've got it all figured-out, then go with your heart (and your strong back).
Sorry! I coped and pasted the thread

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
At the end of the day, are you aiming to make yourself happy or everyone else?

Signed,

The guy who moves his bandmates bi-amp setup

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the end of the day, are you aiming to make yourself happy or everyone else?

Signed,

The guy who moves his bandmates bi-amp setup
This seems like a trick question...or a loaded one lol.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you run your own sound then do two amps. Asking a sound guy to mic two guitar amps can be an adventure. Depending on the venue and sound guy, asking for two lines can be a big deal.
To me it’s all about how flexible the people you work with are. You’re not gigging super loud amps- you’re not taking up that much more space- so it’s not about tone.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
Oooor gig both amps, and when it stops being worthwhile you decide what to do from there.

Dave's suggestion is also good.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
Oooor gig both amps, and when it stops being worthwhile you decide what to do from there.

Dave's suggestion is also good.
I think it's a P&W gig, maybe he should donate that VVRI to me (because sharing is nice and brings good karma) and just buy a Z-Lux :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’m a firm believer that crowds can’t tell the difference between junk gear and top of the line. They do notice playing and mistakes however. Bring what you can lift, and live with. You’re the only one that cares.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
The benefit to cost ratio is low, IMO. Some nights I wouldn't mind setting up a second amp, but every night I'm not into tearing them down. I can get what I need out of one 2 channel amp - I've got a few that work for me, depending on venue. I generally go as small as I can. The audience doesn't care either way.

Then you get into stages that are barely big enough, complications of mic'ing or master volume adjusting when you do that, etc. So not worth it to me, but this is truly a YMMV thing.

Reactions: TimH

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I’m a firm believer that crowds can’t tell the difference between junk gear and top of the line. They do notice playing and mistakes however. Bring what you can lift, and live with. You’re the only one that cares.
The benefit to cost ratio is low, IMO. Some nights I wouldn't mind setting up a second amp, but every night I'm not into tearing them down. I can get what I need out of one 2 channel amp - I've got a few that work for me, depending on venue. I generally go as small as I can. The audience doesn't care either way.

Then you get into stages that are barely big enough, complications of mic'ing or master volume adjusting when you do that, etc. So not worth it to me, but this is truly a YMMV thing.
100% agree. Most in the audience don't care and the very small percentage that DO care couldn't tell the difference in a live mix, anyway. I wouldn't bother with the extra hassle, unless you're playing a couple times a year and want to take your toys out for a spin. I know a guy that brings FOUR guitars to his shows!!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 - 16 of 16 Posts