The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I'm new here. I searched threads but couldn't find any that specifically compared these guitars. If this is in the wrong place let me know or please move it!

So basically I've had my heart set on a tele. Found a late 80's Fernandes Japan Telecaster with MJS pickups for $500 cad. Also found a Fender American Telecaster for around $950. I was having a hard time deciding between those when I came across a Godin Summit CT from a local seller. The Godin has a repaired neck so I was able to talk him down to $400. Haven't been able to find much on this particular Godin, but it seems to be solid.

Does anyone have experience with the Fernandes tele's or the Summit CT? I'm tempted to just cave and get the
American tele as I know it'll be great, but these other two deals are intriguing. I should also note that I'm looking for a lighter guitar due to shoulder issues.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

William

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
I'm not much help on those specific guitars but what about something Godin and Tele-esque? Like the Session Custom? Personally I'd keep away from broken guitars, still seems high at $400 considering Godin resale value.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Godin makes great guitars (I've owned two). Their resale value is not great (which can make them good used purchases). Why wasn't the neck replaced? Have you played it? That 16" radius doesn't get along with everybody. For my money I'd go for the U.S. Tele - it's what you want and you can easily get your money back if you decide otherwise down the road.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
I personally don't like Godin neck profiles, but the guitars themselves are good. So for me personally, it comes down to the MIA versus the MIJ already.

Godin makes good guitars, but their resale is generally low - you can find another for under $500 without repairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not much help on those specific guitars but what about something Godin and Tele-esque? Like the Session Custom? Personally I'd keep away from broken guitars, still seems high at $400 considering Godin resale value.
I'm just not a huge fan of the sessions sound from what I've heard. Beautiful guitars though! And that's fair. I'm having a hard time finding comparable prices but I was under the impression the Summit CT is a fairly expensive signature model.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've got 2 Godins. They're really good quality guitars. I got both used which what makes them such a great deal. However vadsy and allthumbs56 made two good points.

Resale on godins aren't that great to begin with... Plus I think a fixed/broken one is even tougher on reselling.

If you don't think you'll ever want to sell it, then these are not issues.

I've read fixed necks are sometimes stronger than before the break, (if it was done right)... I was tempted to pull the trigger on a Gibson Les Paul BFG that had a fixed neck... Guy was asking $500... But I knew I would be crapping my pants anytime the guitar got out of tune thinking the neck is out of whack... Not to mention I would be wearing eye protection during string changes lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
I'm just not a huge fan of the sessions sound from what I've heard. Beautiful guitars though! And that's fair. I'm having a hard time finding comparable prices but I was under the impression the Summit CT is a fairly expensive signature model.
Sadly, I don't know much about the Summit. Sorry. I've owned Godins and my experience has been similar to that already mentioned here. If it was me I'd look at the MIA Tele and not look back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Godin makes great guitars (I've owned two). Their resale value is not great (which can make them good used purchases). Why wasn't the neck replaced? Have you played it? That 16" radius doesn't get along with everybody. For my money I'd go for the U.S. Tele - it's what you want and you can easily get your money back if you decide otherwise down the road.
He said the neck was slightly cracked and professionally repaired. I was under the impression these resold for closer to 700 but maybe that's just Reverb... Any opinions on the best value Tele? Seems like all the Americans are pretty darn good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally don't like Godin neck profiles, but the guitars themselves are good. So for me personally, it comes down to the MIA versus the MIJ already.

Godin makes good guitars, but their resale is generally low - you can find another for under $500 without repairs.
Thanks for the help. I'll have to try there electrics. I have a Godin/Norman acoustic and really like the neck.

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
If it's a tele you're pining for then why not just get a tele? Or, like @vadsy suggested, something like a tele from Godin...and I think he meant a Stadium:

Stadium | Godin Guitars

I'm pining for the desert green one right now and have been for probably a year now. lol
This was the guitar I was thinking of when I referred to the Session Custom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got 2 Godins. They're really good quality guitars. I got both used which what makes them such a great deal. However vadsy and allthumbs56 made two good points.

Resale on godins aren't that great to begin with... Plus I think a fixed/broken one is even tougher on reselling.

If you don't think you'll ever want to sell it, then these are not issues.

I've read fixed necks are sometimes stronger than before the break, (if it was done right)... I was tempted to pull the trigger on a Gibson Les Paul BFG that had a fixed neck... Guy was asking $500... But I knew I would be crapping my pants anytime the guitar got out of tune thinking the neck is out of whack... Not to mention I would be wearing eye protection during string changes lol.

Thanks for the heads up. That would be a constant concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Id go for the Fernandes. Great guitars, buddy had a Fernandes tele custom copy that was really nice.

Not sure about the pricing on those specifically but it seems in line with other lawsuit era stuff i have been looking at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's a tele you're pining for then why not just get a tele? Or, like @vadsy suggested, something like a tele from Godin...and I think he meant a Stadium:

Stadium | Godin Guitars

I'm pining for the desert green one right now and have been for probably a year now. lol
Those Stadium's seem unreal. Hard to find a good deal on one though. That green is so weird but I love it with that neck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Have several American Tele's and one Godin Session Custom,, The godin I have is a great guitar ,,Every bit as good as the American Tele's I have . And a plus is the trem bar and a great bridge ,It also has a mid boost ,
View attachment 277308
How is the session for weight? Looks amazing but not sure about the sound. I'll have to try one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Id go for the Fernandes. Great guitars, buddy had a Fernandes tele custom copy that was really nice.

Not sure about the pricing on those specifically but it seems in line with other lawsuit era stuff i have been looking at.
Good to hear! I've heard a lot of good things about them and that they're on par with the MIJ Fenders but having trouble finding comparable prices. Someone said I should offer the guy $350 but I'm wondering if $500 is already a decent deal?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Those Stadium's seem unreal. Hard to find a good deal on one though. That green is so weird but I love it with that neck.
I've seen a few used ones at L&M and they were $750'ish, IIRC. I almost went into the doghouse for who knows how long the last time I saw one but decided I liked it better indoors...winter's coming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen a few used ones at L&M and they were $750'ish, IIRC. I almost went into the doghouse for who knows how long the last time I saw one but decided I liked it better indoors...winter's coming.
Oh I see. And I suppose that's why I'm here trying to talk myself out of dropping a grand on a USA tele... But found a '98 standard that I assume would only go up in value.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts