The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday was my birthday (18 now, go me) and I tried out the Les Paul Custom I was planning on getting and decided mahogany still isn't for me... the weight isn't an issue, I just prefer the brightness and bite that basswood has to it.

Here's where I'm stuck. All I can find are Ibanez axes with the shitty ol' Edge III trems (like my RG350... but I keep the trem back into the cavity so I can't raise the pitch... this way it stays in tune after I lower the pitch, LOL).

Max price is $700... any suggestions? Must have 2 humbuckers, maple neck is prefered but not required.

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You might want to check out some Eastwoods... they have a LP Special type with P-90s and I'm pretty sure they are basswood bodies.

Yeah, go there and check out the P-90 special. Nice retro guitar with some punch to it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loving the V, only thing turning me off is the electronics placement... the Jackson ones have the same deal though.

I have a weird picking technique... like pinky planted for most stuff but when I get into speed picking I change to a floating arm kind of deal... think Zakk Wylde mixed with EVH mixed with Petrucci. So when I get going I'd smack the knob / switch... sold my Jackson 'cause of the same reason :frown:

I think I want a V now... maybe a traditional flying V shape though. Have anything like this? Right now I'm considering getting that... it's only like $320 though. Basswood body, unfinished maple neck, all the electronics are layed out perfectly. If I replace the tuners and pickups / electronics with all the extra cash it's be a pretty good axe me thinks.

Will check out Eastwood as well... thanks for the replies guys!

Keep the suggestions comin'!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't really dig the look of that one... looks a lot like a used Epiphone they have locally. Thanks for posting it though!

·
Premium Member
17,202 Posts
do you want an FR trem? you can probably get an ibanez S320 - mahogany body, but super-slim profile. and the ZR trem.

you're welcome! :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you had a chance to try a Diamond Series Schecter 006-Deluxe?? Basswood, 2 humbuckers, and LP style bridge. They play really nice, have a great tone, and should run between 5-600, and for a couple bucks more you can get the 007 seven string! And the vampire red finish is really nice!!
:food-smiley-004:
Steve

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
You might want to check out some Eastwoods... they have a LP Special type with P-90s and I'm pretty sure they are basswood bodies.
Yeah, go there and check out the P-90 special. Nice retro guitar with some punch to it.

...i have one. could probably use a pickup upgrade, although the pickups are actually pretty decent. mine is all black and a real looker. the neck is too chunky for me, but most players will probably love it. overall, a much better guitar than the low price would indicate.

-dh

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah, Eastwood makes some decent stuff. I don't go in for the wackier 60s stuff like the Airliners and whatnot, but the build quality in general seems pretty sound. I haven't played my Eastwood enough to properly judge the neck (still in the local shop getting a setup), although it had to have felt pretty good or I wouldn't have sprung for it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonna hit all the pawn shops / stores within an hour of me on Saturday... should be a fun day.

Thanks for bringing up Schecter... I remember trying one of their lower end models and it was very good compare to others in the price range. Totally slipped my mind.

Keep 'em comin'! Hopefully I find somethin' I dig... need somethin' for drop C, lol.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that was a huge disappointment... nothing I liked... not even close. I guess I'll keep my eyes out and keep saving.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to just upgrade the pickups of all my axes that haven't been swapped yet and I'm gonna grab some pedals. Realized I had two guitars in standard... I don't need that, lol.

Anyone know where I can get an ISP Decimator (stompbox version)? Can't find one online...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts