The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I played a '79 Series Z (Explorer) yesterday and wow was it ever a nice guitar. MIK, the fit and finish was 100% *perfect*, the action was low and clean, the guitar was quite light weight, and it looked better than I dreamed.

Played it through a Crate (ugh), the pups were fairly scooped and bassy, which is perfect for *my* needs for a guitar of this type. Compared heads up against a Ravelle (see below) which had Duncans. The Dean definitely had more output but stayed very well defined even with high gain - much more defined than the Duncans, which surprised me. Apparently, according to what I see on the Dean forums, people do often switch out the pups on these '79's but they sounded fine in my obviously limited experience.

The only negatives I have to report are 1) the bridge, tp, and uhh whaddya call the big V shaped thing where the strings go thru the body? anyways, all those metal parts were fairly cheap looking. Worthy of upgrade consideration. 2) doesn't come with a case, and due to the unusual shape, the cases ain't cheap - quoted me $160, which seems consistent // slightly higher than what I see online but not by much.

Unfortunately the dealer was a bit of a dink. I bought my son a Fernandes Ravelle Elite for a grad present but they wouldn't discount ANYTHING for buying 2 guitars. I've had similar experiences with them in the past and hate the place, but they are the only local dealer for Fernandes and Dean. They wanted $675 for the Z, when they can be had for $500 new on the bay. So I walked, I don't need it but was sure impressed with it.

Yes, it looks this good and even better in person. The gloss black finish was absolutely flawless. Ivory binding, O how I love thee on black.

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and my son got this for a grad present. We've been looking at Ravelles for a while, have played 7 or 8 but they all had QC // fit & finish issues, some quite substantial. Finally found a real nice one at the dealer in town - I would NEVER buy one of these online. They actually had 2 nice Elites, so I dunno if Fernandes is upping their inspection criteria or what.

Anyways, here's to you, Eric (my son). :food-smiley-004:

Hmm can't get the picture to link direct, there's the link to the guitar. Nice emerald green with a great quilt top.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/rvlestg.html

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
$500 on eBay located in Canada? If not, you're probably looking at shipping, customs / brokerage fees, etc. so it may end up costing the same amount you could get it locally at the shop. Always gotta' think about that!

I love the '79 series, I plan on getting a cherry sunburst ML one sometime this year. After I swap a couple pickups it's next on my list... hell, I'd love all 3 models. I think they're pretty reasonably priced, a new ML one is $650, Z is $675 and the V is $700, from what I've seen. If you can find one used locally you'll probably get a great deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts