·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, maybe I'll rethink on that one. I'm still gonna be in the market for a new keyboard I hear good things about Rolands

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
can you try it out and see if it's what you're looking for?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not at the moment I'm out of province till about halfway through June I'm in Nunavut right now believe it or not:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Details, always details!"

Hey guys I don't know if this is the right spot for this post but I'm asking if anyone knows anything about Hammond VS300 organs. I found a pretty sweet deal on one from the 70's and I'm wondering if anyone knows the lows and highs of them I've always wanted an old hammond but i dont know too much about them.

I think I'd pass, if I were you. If it's from the 70's it must be a solidstate organ. I've never heard of anyone considering these collectable.

There were a whole passle of makers of transistor home organs in the 70's. Nowadays they are so obsolete that they are essentially worthless to most folk. I see ads in the classifieds for "Big Organa home organ! $300!"

A month or two later you see the same organ in the $50 and under column. Then it's "Free organ! You hump it outta here!"

I get about 2-3 as freebies this way each year. You can usually scrounge a decent music instrument speaker, a few switches/jacks and miles of shielded and hookup wire. The wood can go in your fireplace.

Now, old TUBE organs are a different story! The kind that take a while for the tubes to warm up! The kind they stopped making in the late 60's.

Hammond TUBE organs are perhaps the most collectable of all. You should do a google and check 'em out. The classic sound that pioneered rock and roll was from the Hammond model B3. It was a hernia maker to lug around but that's the real deal for tone! You often find a setting on some LinePod for a B3. It works about as well as a solid state amp trying to sound like a Plexi stack - that is, lameass.:mad:

I think by the time your 70's organ was made Hammond was nearly out of the business and just rebranding solid state units made offshore. I could be wrong. There are lots of sites giving Hammond history that will fill you in far better than I can.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
283 Posts
the reason it's probably so cheap is because those types of organs are so bloody heavy and you need a pickup truck to move it around. I'd love one of those farfisa compact or compact duo. even a vox would be wicked

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you want an old Hammond that is inexpensive, watch for an M3 or M100 series. Eventually you should be able to turn one up for about $200 or less.

They aren't quite the same as the big consoles, but at least 2 guys can cart one around.

The consoles to watch for are B3, C3, A100 and RT3.

Absolutely nothing sounds like a Hammond Tube organ, especially the consoles. Don't believe the clones that say they sound just like a Hammond. They don't. And I have a Korg BX-3 to take to places I can't take my A-100. The BX3 is okay, but it ain't a Hammond.

But be sure to study up on them before you buy one. Know how to lock the tonewheel generator, how to oil it, etc. first.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
got a line on an M3 interested?

it's in Central Ont

Hammond rule stick to the tubes
If you are really interested in a Hammond, follow up with Shoretyus on this one.

He really knows his Hammonds. And IMO the M3 is THE spinet model to get, especially for rock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts