The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. I wanted to share a recent great experience I had buying amp repair parts.

I despise the increased costs in shipping, tax, border handling fees etc, when buy amp repair parts from the USA.

I needed some zener diodes recently. I checked a few usual USA suppliers on line. Shipping prices were way outta line for $5 worth of diodes. Way ridiculous.

I decided to try a Canadian supplier. Not sure where as I had not found a good reliable source in Canada. I got on this site. Looked Canadian to me.

DigiKey Electronics - Free Shipping on Orders Over $100 CAD

I put my order together. Added some extra parts to stock up my inventory. Parts were priced in CAD. Total parts bill was $12 CAD. Shipping was $8 CAD. I figured that’s decent. $20 all in delivered CAD. I figured they’d show up in the mail in a week or so.

Shortly after placing my order I got an email confirmation.
Imagine my suprise to learn the supplier was inside the USA. My parts were shipped international priority. Fed-Ex. Overnight. For $8 CAD shipping. Now I started to panic. I guessed I’d be hit with a big bill from Fed-Ex upon arrival.

Nothing. Parts showed up perfectly. Total bill $20 all in. Freight prepaid. Billed my Visa when I placed my order. I can’t explain it. Should I be worried about a Fed-Ex bill of some type, later in the mail?

If this is accurate oh boy this will be fun. Cheap!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Oh man, that sounds great. But...I can almost guarantee you will get a bill from Fedex in the mail weeks later. Don't be shocked if its many times more than what you paid. Like 50-60$.
Fedex and UPS are a buncha crooks.
I did the same thing a few years back and thought I was getting a great deal.
I actually ignored the fedex bill, and within a week or so, I had a serious collection agency after me and I had to pay.
But...you might get lucky.
I recently ordered a bunch of caps from this place:
Capacitors, Resistors and Schematics for Tube Radios / Electronics
They are in Canada, and ship using Canada post. Prices for caps were well below any other places.
let us know, I am curious to see if maybe this one slips by.
Cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi folks. I wanted to share a recent great experience I had buying amp repair parts.

I despise the increased costs in shipping, tax, border handling fees etc, when buy amp repair parts from the USA.

I needed some zener diodes recently. I checked a few usual USA suppliers on line. Shipping prices were way outta line for $5 worth of diodes. Way ridiculous.

I decided to try a Canadian supplier. Not sure where as I had not found a good reliable source in Canada. I got on this site. Looked Canadian to me.

DigiKey Electronics - Free Shipping on Orders Over $100 CAD

I put my order together. Added some extra parts to stock up my inventory. Parts were priced in CAD. Total parts bill was $12 CAD. Shipping was $8 CAD. I figured that’s decent. $20 all in delivered CAD. I figured they’d show up in the mail in a week or so.

Shortly after placing my order I got an email confirmation.
Imagine my suprise to learn the supplier was inside the USA. My parts were shipped international priority. Fed-Ex. Overnight. For $8 CAD shipping. Now I started to panic. I guessed I’d be hit with a big bill from Fed-Ex upon arrival.

Nothing. Parts showed up perfectly. Total bill $20 all in. Freight prepaid. Billed my Visa whem I placed my order. I can’t explain it. Should I be worried about a Fed-Ex bill of some type, later in the mail?

If this is accurate oh boy this will be fun. Cheap!
I can appreciate your concern, however, I doubt at all if there will be any post shipping logistic fees. I believe all fees would have been tallied prior to shipping if any, I think you just got lucky. Years ago I purchased an item from the USA for $45 and Fed Ex stung me with a $40 shipping fee, I was outraged and from that date on vowed never to use them again. Unfortunately, I did, of course, I just had to have this particular item (guitar related) and yes I paid dearly for it but I swear never again....haha
In all, I hope you can continue with the notion you got the upper hand on this one but be wary it will probably never last..enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Digikey.ca is exactly the experience OP describes EVERY SINGLE TIME. Digikey is an awesome company exceptionally well known and respected in all electronics circles. They are US-based, but they have the cross border daily run and it’s the best oiled shipping machine on the planet. Seriously.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
What Lexx said. That is the standard Digikey scenario. They use Fedex International Priority (to Canada) and most places will get the order the next day, I always have.
Mouser has a little bit better selection and pricing, but if you choose their $8 shipping it goes through US post, and is much slower.
The odd thing is, with Digikey, guys in the states don't get the killer deal on shipping that we do. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I’ve usually received their stuff through Canadian couriers. I always assumed they drive a big truck every night across the border. Sometimes it does come through US couriers, but always next day if ordered by 5pm ET (and sometimes even as late as 8pm ET). Shipping is free above $200, I believe; and flat $8 below that. They rock.

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
As I understand it, several of the major distributors, such as Digikey, Jameco, Mouser, etc., have Canadian distribution centers precisely so as to avoid the various shipping and brokerage/customs fees. Of course, one has to make a point of ordering from digikey.ca, rather than digikey.com in order to take advantage of that.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Digikey should have charged you the taxes at the time of your order. Take a look at your bill

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
As I understand it, several of the major distributors, such as Digikey, Jameco, Mouser, etc., have Canadian distribution centers precisely so as to avoid the various shipping and brokerage/customs fees. Of course, one has to make a point of ordering from digikey.ca, rather than digikey.com in order to take advantage of that.
Close. Digikey has a distribution center near Winnipeg. But they are the only ones left that still drive a big truck(s) across. That's why their shipping is still only $8 all in for Fed Ex express. Newark closed their center last year and they ship from the US now. To get overnight it is $20, as is Mouser which ships from Mansfield Texas.
Mouser and Digikey both offer free shipping on orders over $100.00. Newark does not.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also priced out my order at Mouser.com the USA web site. I checked shipping with in USA only, delivered to a freight company near the USA/CAN border.
Mouser wanted $20 US shipping just to ship the package from Texas to Washington state, within CON USA. So no great deals there at Mouser in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I think if you go to the digikey website and pretend you are in the US, you will get similar results, or at least a higher shipping cost than to Canada.
Don't ask them why and everybody keep quiet about it, I'm happy with the status quo. :D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I remember going to the Digikey site a few years ago looking for caps and resistors etc, the usual stuff, and getting completely overwhelmed with the choices. I don't need 1000 choices for the same value cap. Went back to StewMac. Ya it cost 100x as much but I was done in 5 minutes :D

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I've used Digikey for years. Their catalog can be a total pain in the a** to search through for a particular part as it's YUUUUGE and sometimes their descriptions/classifications defy common logic. Local selection for parts is dismal so I get most of my stuff online anyway - it's their super short turnaround that got my business: If I get my order in before 4pm PST I can count on them arriving the next day, usually by 2pm. 8 bucks or free shipping? Just take my money! Too bad they don't stock the big electrolytic caps I use, but I'm happy to support other businesses too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 for Digikey, and Mouser too. I've been buying from them for decades.

But for a true Canadian supplier, consider Next Gen Guitars. They are Hammond distributors and their prices are slightly cheaper than those big American companies. And if you qualify for a wholesale account then the pricing gets even better.....e.g. a Hammond replacement for a 100W JCM2000 output xfmr is around $110.

Canada's #1 Parts Source For DIY Musicians - Next Gen Guitars

Just Radios (mentioned above) is a good source of resistors and capacitors (primarily for tube electronics) but that's basically all that they sell.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I concur on the positive experience with Digikey. I speak of them when ever I can in regards to buying parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts