The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today.

Rednecked the cable install for now because I left my drill at work.

The guitar now has a K&K as well as a magnetic pickup so two cable jacks, one for each p/u.

Tried it with both amps at the same time and works pretty good. K&K into the Traynor acoustic amp and De Armond into the Fender.

Traynor covers the low end acoustic sound and the Fender adds top. Big sound from that combination although main reason for getting the magnetic was that it feeds back less at high volume like with a band etc. K&K runs out of steam in that setting.

Need to play with it more but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Both of my Bourgeois have K&K/Fishman Rare Earth HB combos installed. If you want a neater install go with a Switchcraft TRS output jack and use a TRS to two TS output cable. I put the K&K on the Tip connector so that a regular guitar cable outputs that signal (I prefer the K&K sound when soloed).

Lots of benefits to using this configuration, such as splitting to two different amps, different EQ/Compression settings, phase alignment, etc. I sometimes use the Fishman to drive some effects that can be brought in as needed via a volume pedal. If I want to use a reverb I will drive it from the Fishman as it doesn't react as much with body resonances and gives a more defined signal for processing, resulting in a reverb return that doesn't get all "swirly and mushy".

Experimenting is fun!

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response and good point about putting reverb through the magnetic pickup rather than the K&K.

My Fender has two channels: 1 is clean tube and 2 has different amp models; then there's effects like reverb, delay etc. which apply to either channel. The foot switch along with a volume pedal would create a lot of options.

I ended up just drilling another hole for the second input jack.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. I just bought a vintage yamaki guitar that has a DeArmond Pickup in it. It is quite nice.
Very nice.

I thought about looking for a vintage one but a place near me had the recent ones in stock so I went that route just to get it done.

If I see a vintage somewhere I might buy it.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
View attachment 134417
I just bought a vintage yamaki guitar that has a DeArmond Pickup in it. It is quite nice.
I have one similar that I took off an old guitar years ago. I do remember trying it out back then and was pretty impressed with the lovely bass sounds it put out. Mine is missing the little arms used to attach it to the guitar. Someone drilled holes in each end of the chrome piece and attached it to the guitar with screws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts