The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Those prices looked surprisingly low. I saw recently that Snowy White sold his 59 Gibson for 90K. That was a beat up working guitar with almost no original parts. Just a segue to more Animals music

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
They’re setting the estimates low on purpose. Christie’s does the same thing for watches. They want to generate interest and bids. I think it will go for over one million.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Wow!

He must be sick, getting divorced, or needs to pay off his son's legal bills.
No, I think it's just a simple statement. Mr. Gilmour can recreate his previous great music and create new great music with other guitars. He doesn't want to think that he can do that only on certain specific instruments, like they are a 'crutch' of sorts. Not to say he doesn't like good instruments, but they don't have to be that specific good instrument he used for 50 years.

I agree with him. Tone is mostly in the fingers. Inspiration and ideas are 100% in the head and heart. The hardware doesn't have as much to do with it as us gearheads want to believe. Sad but true. Dave's got it no matter what he wraps his fist around.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Damn. I was gonna buy a couple guitars, maybe even 3 or 4. But I don't support one of those charities so ................ I'm out!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stole this from another forum because the site is full and won't allow any more bidders or viewers...

Sold so far:

'66 Fender Strat - $423,000

'69 Martin D35 - $1,095,000

'70 Martin Vega 5 String Banjo - $37,500

'69 Dick Night acoustic - $56,250

'73 Gibson LP - $87,500

'73 Rickenbacker - $81,250

'74 Jedson Lap Steel - $300,000

'70 Smith Electric Steel - $52,500

'77 ZB 10-String Pedal Steel - $93,750

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of $$ raised!

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
No, I think it's just a simple statement. Mr. Gilmour can recreate his previous great music and create new great music with other guitars. He doesn't want to think that he can do that only on certain specific instruments, like they are a 'crutch' of sorts. Not to say he doesn't like good instruments, but they don't have to be that specific good instrument he used for 50 years.

I agree with him. Tone is mostly in the fingers. Inspiration and ideas are 100% in the head and heart. The hardware doesn't have as much to do with it as us gearheads want to believe. Sad but true. Dave's got it no matter what he wraps his fist around.
I don't think so and I haven't read anything that suggests such a thing. I think it's more he's retiring and looking to raise money for a charity he is passionate about.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Not commenting on why he's selling his gear (nothing to do with making a statement) but more the fact that many people seem to think these artists are married to specific pieces of equipment. If so, I think it's only for sentimental reasons.

I've seen lots of 'stars' sell iconic instruments. Doesn't stop them from getting great tones, and be able to write and play great music. I think that's more in forumite's heads than the actual artists.

Reactions: bolero
1 - 20 of 50 Posts