The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always wanted to try this method but never bumped into exactly the product with the required properties. After some time, exhaustion set in and I gave up searching day in and day out, year after year.

Quite a while ago, enter the man who took up the torch to pursue a North American wide supplier of this elusive product.

This gentleman and scholar that we owe so much to is our very own davetcan (Dave)

Today, I broke into my granddaughter's education fund...went to Petsmart...spent the entire $5.30.

Some of you will look at this as too high tech and prefer to stay with using dental floss or wire or whatever. Fine. Continue to live in the dark ages.

Thanks Dave...we will be forever indebted to you and your steadfast determination.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
For a semi hollow, that is quite the tool/

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have used the latest Blackberry master encryption code to decipher the message below.
So far our crack team has managed to desrcramble this message form this post.
G.

One Dave tells the other Dave that if you want some silly rubber tubing , you can get it at a Petsmart store.
The $5.30 amount remains a mystery but we have complete confidence in the team
to be able to decipher that portion within the year.

I had always wanted to try this method but never bumped into exactly the product with the required properties. After some time, exhaustion set in and I gave up searching day in and day out, year after year.
Quite a while ago, enter the man who took up the torch to pursue a North American wide supplier of this elusive product.
This gentleman and scholar that we owe so much to is our very own davetcan (Dave)
Today, I broke into my granddaughter's education fund...went to Petsmart...spent the entire $5.30.
Some of you will look at this as too high tech and prefer to stay with using dental floss or wire or whatever. Fine. Continue to live in the dark ages.
Thanks Dave...we will be forever indebted to you and your steadfast determination.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the fun posts.

The young fellow at Petsmart who assisted me was very nice and enthusiastic. He told me that he is into audio stuff as a hobby.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Thanks for all the fun posts.

The young fellow at Petsmart who assisted me was very nice and enthusiastic. He told me that he is into audio stuff as a hobby.
The young lady who helped me couldn't stop laughing but was happy to help try every bit of tubing in the store until we hit the magic :)

I should also mention that this stuff is re-usable so a one time outlay of $5.30 should last quite a while. You could even leave it to your granddaughter :)

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
On those few times when I had to do it (all predating the web, so I had to rely on my own wits, rather than more advanced ones), I used narrow gauge solid-core insulated wire. I'd wrap it around the threaded part of the pot, and pull until the pot poked through. The wire fit inside the threads so it wouldn't extend out any further than the diameter of the pot. But Dave's idea is much better.

I love shopping for stuff that has applications that simply never occur to the vendor. Like buying springs at Home Depot to make a reverb unit, or drawer-pulls to use for pickup covers, or wooden deck-tiles to use for pedalboards.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally had the opportunity to try this silicone tube concept.

GC forum member markxander rewired his Epi Sheraton at my place this evening and I pestered him relentlessly while watching him do all the work.
All aspects of the guitar's new electronics worked perfectly on the first try with an amp after we finished putting the new harness into it.

Using the tubing was by far the best approach I have ever tried and I highly recommend it for this task.

@markxander ...Beautiful guitar!! I hope you enjoy the new pickups once you have had the chance to try them for awhile.

Again, thanks for everything.

Cheers

Dave

1 - 20 of 48 Posts