The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a 5E3 Deluxe chassis and I'm trying to zero in on the year of manufacture. It doesn't really matter of course- just curious.
So, chassis only - no cabinet, no tube chart and I don't see a serial number stamped anywhere.

I don't think that the Triad PT number (6452L) tells me anything, nor does the OT number 108.

Pot codes are my best bet and they appear to be original. 3 digit code on pot #1 is 827, which leads me to believe the amp is 1958 however the other 2 pots are 137 which could point to 1961. (All 3 also have the number "3594" on them)
I know that tweed Fenders were getting phased out in 1960 but I think there were many still being sold in '61?

Filter caps have been changed.
Am I reading those pot codes correctly?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Duh, just found the serial # under the fuse holder. Points as well to 1958. Doesn't explain the date codes on the other 2 pots though I suppose if they were replaced in 1961 they could still look original!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I don't think you are reading the pot codes correctly. Where did you get your code information?
The first 3 digits are usually the manufacturer ID code.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought too, and the 2 pots with 137 would point towards CTS pots but the other one (827) doesn't seem to fit with a manufacturer that I can find.
Then, if the 4 remaining digits are supposed to be the date of manufacturer I can't make any sense out of "3594".
Anyway, as mentioned, it doesn't matter. The serial # points to 1958, which I recognize is not always the best method of dating a Fender amp but it might be all I've got!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts