The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a dash cam. I have been looking at them for some time. Do you have one? If so, what make and model and is it any good?

Any dash cam knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,722 Posts
I've been meaning to get one too but haven't.

I think the rear facing one might be useful as well in addition to the dash cam.

The cameras are useful because proving liability determines your right to commence a tort MVA claim against the at fault driver otherwise you will only get accident benefits from your own insurer and they will initially put you in the minor injury category (max $3,500 med/rehab) even if you are in broken pieces; you will then have to hire someone to chase them for money to pay for med/rehab etc.

Insurance companies consider the mere fact that you are bringing any kind of MVA claim to be prima facie evidence of fraud. The current Ontario government is of the same view and they have enabled this mess with their revisions to the legislation.

There is also a $38,000.00 deductible for general damages - which means the insurer does not have to pay the first 38K of an award for same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been reading up on them. Some of the features I want are:

-Front and rear cameras
-High res
-When using the 2 cameras, some drop the resolution down, so they are not true 1080p - Not this.
-I would like the front camera to be able to swivel to be able to point it at a cop when stopped.
-A screen would be nice. Some of the best ones are made by Blackvue, but they have no screens.
-A screen and wireless would be good. Wireless lets you transfer files to your phone and also change settings with your phone.
-Takes higher capacity flash cards. Most do 32gigs, but now some do 128, which gives 8-13 hrs record time.
-A good system to tell you if the unit is actually working or not. Many do not, so you may think you are filming but you are not.
-Easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. I don't want to have to buy one for every car I own. I can see buying extra cables, but some are stuck to the window.
-A good warranty and not some rebranded China unit that has no N American representation.
-Has motion detection for parked mode, and a good battery.
-Is able to withstand high and low temperatures.
-Built in GPS.
-Extra long cables built in with well designed plugs for installation.
-The option to time and speed etc. stamp the video. Some will not let you turn this off.

Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
dashcam and a gun, never leave home without it
Family member in Flarriduh sent me a text moaning and groaning about all the violence where he lives - I said do what everyone else does; get a gun, learn how to use it and keep your back to the wall ... lol

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
-I would like the front camera to be able to swivel to be able to point it at a cop when stopped.
Just from curiosity, are you having a problem with cops out there in the colonies and getting stopped enough so that it's an issue?

Where I live, the civilian population are more likely to a problem than the cops and that's not taking a pro law and order position it's just the way it is. Cops here don't need you and the expect the same ... lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just from curiosity, are you having a problem with cops out there in the colonies and getting stopped enough so that it's an issue?

Where I live, the civilian population are more likely to a problem than the cops and that's not taking a pro law and order position it's just the way it is. Cops here don't need you and the expect the same ... lol
Not really. I just watch a lot of YouTube videos of cops and victims and the camera is really good at stopping the cops from going rogue. Also going through yellow lights and getting a ticket, camera saves you. Cops will make up stuff, and when you go to court, the court uses the theory that they trust the cops to do their job, so they will not call a cop a liar and let you off without video evidence. When it is your word against a cop, you go to jail. Also the cameras will film when you are stopped. The good ones will be recording a 10-30 second clip all the time, so when someone hits you when you are parked and the motion triggers the camera to record it will have 10-30 seconds before the impact.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Yeah, there's good reasons to have the camera.

HTA offenses are strict liability which means if a cop says you did something that's good enough unless you can introduce evidence to the contrary.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I found a review somewhere and this got good ratings

VIOFO A119

actually bought it a couple months ago but it's been to cold outside to mess around with the install, haha

·
Registered
15,914 Posts
I have considered getting one with all the crazy things I have seen people do while driving...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had my The Original Dash Cam (TODC) for just under 3 years now. I turn it on every time I get in the car because you never know. The only upgrade I've done to it was to increase the memory card size from 8 Gb to 32 Gb. It has a day and night setting, with the standard setting being day time. A simple push of a button changes it into night mode. I haven't looked at any of the camera video in a couple of years because I haven't needed to, but the last time I inserted the memory card into my desktop to view the video I was quite pleased with the quality of the video and audio that it had captured.

I've been tempted to buy another one that's got dual cameras both with high res capture, GPS, and all the goodies. TODC send me email specials when they have them and their top of the line dash cam is on for only $99.99 I might buy one.

TD

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I watched both those videos...and NEITHER of you should be behind the wheel of a vehicle. At the very least, neither of you showed the maturity or common sense to have the privilege of driving.
I'm sorry, did I give you the impression that I give a shit about your opinion? Neither the cops nor the insurance company batted an eyelash over my driving

1 - 20 of 112 Posts