The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a dash cam. Anyone recommend a model and or brand?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
Would a trail cam work?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would a trail cam work?
Yes, but dash cam is designed for vehicles. Some will track your speed, will come on when the vehicle is parked and disturbed, night vision, multiple cameras etc...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I picked one up on eBay for like $40. It records in hd, has nightvision, and just loops when the card is full. It's worked perfectly for the last 2-3 years I've owned it.
In the years I've owned it It has captured 1 person hitting a parked car in front of me causing $400 damage and then leaving. It caught their plates and them actually running into the car, but when I approached the owner of the damaged car they did not want the info of the car that hit them, or pursue it.
The second time was on the 401, where it caught the beginning/cause of a multi car accident which caused the unfortunate death of one the individuals hit in the accident. I was able to relay the video to the police in that instance.
For a measly $40 I think everyone should have them.

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
Yes, but dash cam is designed for vehicles. Some will track your speed, will come on when the vehicle is parked and disturbed, night vision, multiple cameras etc...
The reason I ask is because we sell trail cams at work, but I'm not sure if we sell dash cams.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Blackvue. Built in GPS, takes a picture if you are parked and someone walks by /tamper with your car.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked one up on eBay for like $40. It records in hd, has nightvision, and just loops when the card is full. It's worked perfectly for the last 2-3 years I've owned it.
In the years I've owned it It has captured 1 person hitting a parked car in front of me causing $400 damage and then leaving. It caught their plates and them actually running into the car, but when I approached the owner of the damaged car they did not want the info of the car that hit them, or pursue it.
The second time was on the 401, where it caught the beginning/cause of a multi car accident which caused the unfortunate death of one the individuals hit in the accident. I was able to relay the video to the police in that instance.
For a measly $40 I think everyone should have them.
Do you recall the make and model?

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
The biggest consideration is likely whether you want just forward facing or a two channel camera that records both front and rear. Here are some reviews and information on specs.

Dashboard Camera Reviews

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
There is a video on YouTube. Dude is in a traffic jam on the QEW or the 401, maybe the DVP. Anyway this guy is waiting for traffic to move and suddenly the guy ahead puts his car in reverse and mats it. So of course it looks like a rear end collision. Front car guy gets out faking neck injury and the whole nine yards. Then dude shows him his dash cam. Look on the guy's face is priceless

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I have one made by Papago. Turns on automatically, works great. I will occasionally post vids of drivers doing amazingly stupid things.
I used to work in Brampton. If you reported all the crazy things drivers do in Brampton, you would not eat, sleep or work. You would spend all your time posting those stupid drivers. I swear the driving inspectors just pass everybody in that city.

·
Registered
13,983 Posts
I had one in the truck and on the bike. To work they need a constant power source which the bike doesn't have. The lighter socket is only powered when the bike is on. Same with the power socket in the wife's car. The picture quality is not that good, especially when the vehicle is moving and they will only capture what is in front of them. I can't see the point of them myself. You can get a lot of really crappy video on a 32 gig sd card.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
In some countries dash cameras are almost a necessity. For around $100.00 you can get a good quality one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts