The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guit. with a nice and very unique top that I like, but I feel the reddish rosewood clashes with the top's grey colour. Is it possible to darken rosewood with stain (Not only darken it, but a treatment that wont wear off quickly).

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Buy some bore oil, it will make it darker temporarily

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
If you can use shoe polish then I would suggest some sort of dye. Much thinner

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The problem with dye is that it will rub off into your hands somewhat..... it needs something to bind it to the fretboard.

A couple thin coats of BLO would darken it up somewhat.

If you were to dye it, I would recommend a couple very thin coats of something like tru oil to help bind the dye. This will change the feel of the fretboard somewhat.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
black leather dye.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Inkjet ink ... I only know what that does to my hands though. Used to re-ink my old HP. There's some threads about homemade stains, like vinegar and nails approach. Take into consideration any topical conditioning materials that you'd want to clear off.
There's some great ideas above, take mine with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I don't think it's worth me risking screwing up a nice guitar. $300 guitar maybe, not $1500.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've wondered this as well and saw a few posts about Fiebling's leather dye... which I used when I was restoring vintage smoking pipes a few times.

I wanted to do it to one of mine, but worried black would be too dark, may mix 50/50 black and a warm dark brown instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts