The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the songs that bring up an evil dark atmosphere when played? Regardless of stage antics, and personal history of the players, the song has to stand on its own. So, they dont have to be songs of Satan, as most of those are cartoonish, but they do have to be dark. To me bands like Deicide, Mayhem, and Marilyn Manson have missed the boat because they lack the dark atmoshere. Marilyn Manson mostly uses visuals to accomplish the dark atmoshere, but these songs use tones, lyrics, and style to do the same. Here are my choices.......

Alice Cooper - I Love the Dead
Bathory - Born for Burning
Blood - Incubus
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Kiss - God of Thunder (studio version only)
Venom - In League with Satan

·
Registered
874 Posts
The Stones-Sympathy For The Devil

·
Registered
328 Posts
I Put A Spell On You - better version is the original by Screaming Jay Hawkins.
- CCR/Fogerty does it but not as well

·
Registered
737 Posts
Alice Cooper - Black Juju

Sabbath - Into The Void, Electric Funeral, Children of The Grave, Hand of Doom, etc

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You

Jimi - A ver. of 'Hear My Train a Comin' on 'Crash Landing' or '9 To The Universe', Jimi sings; "I hear my soul burning" then the lead break sounds very chilling, give me shivers thinking about it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Terry Jacks had a couple of hits. One was "Evil Grows", but it failed to sound evil. The other, however, was "Seasons in the Sun" which makes me want to kill myself whenever I hear it.(smilies are broken)

Seriously, "2000 Light Years From Home" by the Stones is loaded with a dark foreboding atmosphere. My father hated that record.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just about everything on the "Black One" album by Sunn 0))), but "It Took The Night To Believe", specifically.

Good stuff to have on the iPod when reading H.P. Lovecraft late at night!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's a whole bunch by a guy called John Campbell who was slotted as a blues player. He had a bad ticker and did eventually die from it. His music subject matter is frequently about death and going to his maker etc.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hurt by Johnny cash is a little disheartening, its a Nine inch nails cover, and the last song johnny ever recorded :|

·
Registered
214 Posts
my pick goes to
Ya Hozna..by Frank Zappa....its about as dark/evil as it gets...
I believe all the lyrics are recorded in reverse..or at least sound as if they
were.....
Auger

1 - 19 of 19 Posts