The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Yamaha LL6 acoustic, a Gold Top, and a Tele. For amps I have a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C and a vintage Traynor YGM-2 (as a home player I don't even need two amps). I also have a BOSS Blues Driver and an MXR Custom Badass '78 distortion.

I want an ES-335, and should probably grab a delay pedal and a reverb pedal (the Marshall has reverb, but the Traynor does not). But that is really all I need. Hell, I don't even need a 335, it is just my holy grail so I intend to get one when I find one at the right price. When I do get a 335 I can see my Les Paul and my Tele getting limited use (I won't sell them because I love my Tele and had lusted after a Gold Top for a long time before getting one).

In other words, I am basically set for gear.

So why do I have G.A.S.??? I am currently checking Kijiji to see if there is anything worth picking up. I am kind of doing so aimlessly because I don't actually need anything. At first I thought it was just about wanting to spend money, but I am not looking at buying anything else so that can't be it.

Damned G.A.S.!

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
In order to downsize, half of me is offloading instruments, like a newish Seagull mandolin, and a '79 Beneteau flattop lately, and posting others for sale. Also sold a couple of amps this year.

The other half of me is sniffing around for another mandolin, mahogany acoustic, or a resonator or whatever crosses my path.

Two steps forward, one step back.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i cant remember what it was like to NOT want a 335. i'd bet everyone on this forum that hasn't already owned one, wants one. especially if they've played one. it's the rockin'est guitar there is. even if it may not look like it.
just say no to reverb, delay is your friend.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
My GAS is pretty much done because I haven't scratched what my pedals can really do (3 cheers for crazy effects) and I can't afford squat. I still look and find decent to great deals on things I want, but actual GAS? Not really.

If you want a sweet delay/reverb solution, check out the keeley caverns. They recently revised it. My v1 has been going strong for two years of being stepped on.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
So why do I have G.A.S.???

Damned G.A.S.!
From when I started playing guitar in the early '80's to the late '90's when I joined a guitar forum, I owned 3 guitars. After that, in the hundreds.....Forums are GAS enablers.

I buy pedals now which tames (slightly) the urge to buy a guitar.

@Budda I came close to buying a Keeley Caverns a few weeks ago and somehow forgot about it and bought a FTT Ambi Space last night.....if I would've seen your post first, I would've purchased the Caverns (ha ha).

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Post a thread for that.

One thing I wish pedal manufacturers did with delay and reverb is have separate mix and level knobs. Really lets things get swirly without being overbearing.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I had my Tele put together I seriously lusted after a faded sonic blue '60s Baja Tele. There is one available for a reasonable price (not a great price, but a reasonable price) at an L&M about two hours away from here. Why do I get the feeling that I am going to call them tomorrow, have them charge it to my credit card, and then have them ship it to my local store?

I certainly don't need it but...............................................

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Before I had my Tele put together I seriously lusted after a faded sonic blue '60s Baja Tele. There is one available for a reasonable price (not a great price, but a reasonable price) at an L&M about two hours away from here. Why do I get the feeling that I am going to call them tomorrow, have them charge it to my credit card, and then have them ship it to my local store?

I certainly don't need it but...............................................
Your local store could/should take care of all of that for you, plus only charge you $10 to ship a used item.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Single bridge pickup ES 335 studio stripper no f holes kinda got my attention although I might replace the pickup with a P90. But I was just playing my LP Junior and that little bastard lays it down so what do I need with a 335 other than it looks nice and probably sounds good.

Long term maybe hold out for a real 56 Junior someday but, on the other hand, yesterday is gone and tomorrow never comes ...............

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I understand OP. Many here do. I’ve had bad bouts of gas in the past as well. It never seemed to end. I’ve had quite a few amps and guitars over the past 12 or so years.

Before that time, before I became active on internet sites and FB groups, I was content for decades. Only a scant guitar or two and same amp for 15 years.

The information on the internet makes for a prefect breeding ground for GAS. Sound demos. YT videos. Untlimited information and opinions. You’ll never be satisfied.

I have found something that has curbed my gas. I found another hobby. I finally got to the point in my life where I was ready for a vintage car. I am enamoured with it. It needs care and maintenance. It takes my time, however it too is very rewarding and I enjoy it. I still play guitar a fair bit. My time though is shared between hobbies. I don’t focus solely on guitars, amps and related gear.

I’m not saying you should go buy a vintage car. I’m suggesting that you think about other things you may want to devote some time too. It’s healthy. Its fun. You’ll meet different people. It’ll curb your GAS.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your local store could/should take care of all of that for you, plus only charge you $10 to ship a used item.

They can't do that for stuff listed for the sale. The solution is to call the London South store, give them my card number so that they get the sale, and then have them do a manual transfer.

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
They can't do that for stuff listed for the sale. The solution is to call the London South store, give them my card number so that they get the sale, and then have them do a manual transfer.
Ahh, got you, didn't realize it was listed as a boxing day item. Good luck getting it, sounds like a nice one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts