The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 7 weeks have had to endure wet walls and floors and even though I have great coverage from my insurance I have been left waiting for something or anything to happen so I can get my home back in shape that it was prior to the leak.
And because of recent rains out here every time it does my walls and studs get soaked and my flooring gets drenched and then I have to endure white noise from a dehumidifier that needs to run 24/7 till it dries.
So I call our property management and ask what is going on and they end up telling me crap that they need a quote from the restoration team and they restoration team tells them we do restorations not building envelopes which I get.
So now I am still stuck in the same place with a possible rain coming this weekend which means again wet floors and walls and longer with the dehumidifier running even longer and my Pulmonary Fibrosis getting even worse with a great chance of black mold forming and no relief in sight and no matter how much a scream and shout at this point it just seems no one gives a crap.
Lived in other starta's and never seen anything like this before where shit here takes for ever oh but they can fix our fences in no time and that's really important to every ones lives right fuck shit damn sons of a bunch of B's crap okay vented now but still don't feel any better for it.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised that theyre telling the truth, esp since they took care of fence issues quickly in the past.
I dread dealing with contractors around here...the only ones who actually show up are usually the crooked ones. the good ones are too busy.

Reactions: zontar
P

·
0 Posts
I get water in my basement. Instead of a humidifier which I used for some time, I took a floor fan I bought at Princess Auto,

and used a 6" metal duct vent

to capture the exhaust from the fan into 6" round aluminum flex duct,

then connected it to this:

I put the vent through some insulation sheeting and cut that to fit a window opening. I put the whole thing together with Gorilla Tape.

Now the air is vented outside. Any mold spores or other crap is vented outside with the moist air. It works really well, and costs a fraction of what a humidifier does to run.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised that theyre telling the truth, esp since they took care of fence issues quickly in the past.
I dread dealing with contractors around here...the only ones who actually show up are usually the crooked ones. the good ones are too busy.
That kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I get water in my basement. Instead of a humidifier which I used for some time, I took a floor fan I bought at Princess Auto,

and used a 6" metal duct vent

to capture the exhaust from the fan into 6" round aluminum flex duct,

then connected it to this:

I put the vent through some insulation sheeting and cut that to fit a window opening. I put the whole thing together with Gorilla Tape.

Now the air is vented outside. Any mold spores or other crap is vented outside with the moist air. It works really well, and costs a fraction of what a humidifier does to run.

I can't see how that deals with water in your basement. With that kind of vent connector too, it's full of places for mold to grow.
Nice googling btw.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
I can't see how that deals with water in your basement. With that kind of vent connector too, it's full of places for mold to grow.
Nice googling btw.
I think it's just a temporary means of getting humidity out along with anything else airborne. Ideally, you would run the dehum at the same time. It increases the temp which allows for more water to be aerosolized (warm air holds more moisture).

Nevertheless, my favourite part of the OP was, "sons of a bunch of B's crap".

P

·
0 Posts
Nice googling btw.
It moves a ton of air. The air that replaces it is dry air from the rest of the house. I don't get enough water to mop up or anything, just some of the concrete gets wet. If mold grows in the aluminum hose it is sealed so it can only go outside. Unlike a dehumidifier that has condenser tubes that are always wet and grow mold on them, then drip that into a bucket that has to be handled all the time.

It's basically a homemade version of this:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I have a dehumidifier hooked up to a hose which drains into the floordrain, instead of having to empty the pan all the time

plus a couple fans running, pushing air around the basement

works really well

P

·
0 Posts
I have a dehumidifier hooked up to a hose which drains into the floordrain, instead of having to empty the pan all the time

plus a couple fans running, pushing air around the basement

works really well
The power consumption of a dehumidifier is the same as a running an air conditioner all the time. My system is just a fan running. Plus any dust or mold etc. is removed and exhausted to the outdoors.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I think it's just a temporary means of getting humidity out along with anything else airborne. Ideally, you would run the dehum at the same time. It increases the temp which allows for more water to be aerosolized so the air super-saturates and then gets vented.

Nevertheless, my favourite part of the OP was, "sons of a bunch of B's crap".

*I realize air can't really supersaturate, but it's a better mental image of what's kinda happening, imo.
Sheeee-at, you lost me at 'temporary'.

I hope you can get things sorted out, @Ship of fools . It sounds frustrating. The good news I guess is that you've toughed it out through the worst weather and hopeful they can get the work done in the next number of (relatively) dry months before the monsoons return in the late fall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts