The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Cycling season 2016 is upon us

12K views 220 replies 40 participants last post by  Distortion 
#1 ·
I finally got around to replacing my last mountain bike (currently with my folks overseas).

Nothing fancy, just a decent front-suspension bike that should do for simple trail riding and the odd jaunt to a friend's place. The bike is a used GT Aggressor 2.0.

Does anyone else here do any kind of non-motorized cycling?

#2 ·
I just got a 3 speed Raleigh bike! It's in perfect shape. One of my neighbors died a couple of months ago! Her sons had come by the house to clean it up and get it ready for sale. They put this bike in the trash!!! It's almost brand new and the rubber on the tires is fine, the gears work and the hand breaks are perfect. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit! The bike has to be at least 30 years old if not more!

Just outside of Pickering are some really nice country roads that I wouldn't mind exploring. This is going to be fun! I am wearing a helmet no matter how ridiculous I look in it! lol Safety first!

#4 ·
Just an inexpensive Schwinn mountain bike with a padded seat, front fork suspension, and seat suspension. For what it is, it has given me great service. I do a little riding around town on back streets and the local trails, plus I take it the the Bruce Peninsula for gravel roads, the Bruce Trail, and other trails. If it was stolen like my previous bike it wouldn't be the end of the world but I have grown to kinda of dig it anyway. In the summer I ride a great deal, in spring and fall a little less, and never in the winter.

Peace, Mooh.

#9 · (Edited)
Product Suitcase Hand luggage Baggage Bicycle accessory
We took our bikes to Maui in February, well worth it renting the boxes and paying for an extra bag, about half what it costs to rent there. I did West Maui loop, about 100k and 1110 meters of climbing, great ride. I was 5 months out from hip replacement and felt no ill effects. I'm training for summer Gran Fondos at present with the local one and Penticton on the board so far, possibly Whistler in September. Next year we plan to do a self-guided tour of Piedmont (Barolo!) and a week at the Hotel Belvedere in Riccione after that. They know how to kick your butt there I can tell you from experience. No one can ride and climb like an Italian. It's a very enjoyable way to see the countryside and stay in shape. I highly recommend it.
Sorry for the scrambled message, uploading this picture was a challenge.

#10 ·
Last time I was in Maui, I rented. Great way to see the island, but when you're used to good bikes, renting is such a downer.

I did myself a favor last year - hadn't bought a new bike in a couple decades. I have a great old Ritchey that I cracked the top tube on and my 30 year old fillet-brazed Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt was getting pretty long in the tooth. So I bought one of these Specialized Cirrus hybrids

Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part

Still use the Rocky for North Shore kinda stuff, but this got 3000 of my 35oo km last year.

#27 ·
Last time I was in Maui, I rented. Great way to see the island, but when you're used to good bikes, renting is such a downer.

I did myself a favor last year - hadn't bought a new bike in a couple decades. I have a great old Ritchey that I cracked the top tube on and my 30 year old fillet-brazed Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt was getting pretty long in the tooth. So I bought one of these Specialized Cirrus hybrids

View attachment 19968

Still use the Rocky for North Shore kinda stuff, but this got 3000 of my 35oo km last year.
Well, it seems we'll have more to do than just have coffee and brag about our musical exploits when I come to Vancouver JULY 13 after the Penticton Fondo. A little blast to Horseshoe Bay, up Cypress? See you then.

#11 ·
I mountain bike all year long, studded tires in the winter make lake and trail riding a blast! I've got a few bikes in the garage, a couple of Konas (hardtail and full suspension) and a Santa Cruz full suspension. A couple of buddies store their bikes in my garage so along with those, a couple of old fully rigid mountain bikes, my son's Kona full suspension and MEC hardtail, plus a couple of used Giant Trance X2 bikes I bought on the weekend (one for the gf, one to resell) it's a wee bit crowded.

2010 Kona Cadabra

2006 Kona Cinder Cone

2011 Santa Cruz Nickel

My son's 2006 Kona Stinky 2-4

#12 ·
I don't bike, but I live right by a nature area with a ton of mountain bike trails through it. Couldn't help but notice that this year the guys all had bikes with huge balloon tires and they kept going all winter. Looked like they had excellent flotation, they were handing 6" of unpacked snow no problem.

#15 ·
I haven't had a nice bike in years. I'm rocking a Canadian Tire special right now, but I'm saving up for a used road bike soon. Something basic - maybe carbon fork, hopefully 105 groupset. It's just this pesky pedal addiction that keeps stealing all my fun money!
SPD or Look?

#17 ·
question for you guys, I bought a "hybrid" bike a few years ago (basically a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike)...it seems since new, ive been having to inflate the tires about once every 3 weeks or so. Is that normal? seemed like I could get a lot longer than that back when I had a mountain bike with fatter tires.

if anyones not familiar with hybrid bikes, theyre a pretty neat idea. The rationale behind them is, some of us aren't extreme athletes and don't need shocks, knobby tires etc for jumping over logs on trails...nor are we racing in the tour de france, so a flimsy super light street bike isn't a fit either. so a hybrid takes the comfort and durability of a mountain bike and blends it with the more speed oriented wheels and hard tail frame of a street bike. its kind of an honest bike that doesn't play to anyones fantasies.
Mine was about $700.

#18 ·
Schrader or presta valves? I find the smaller tubes in the road-type wheels lose air more quickly with Schraders (the larger valves that are on car tires). The smaller presta valves, with the extra screwed valve, seem to hold high pressure better. And the smaller volume probably makes it seem like the tires are going flat quicker?

Love my Cirrus hybrid.

Reactions: Diablo
#21 ·
I have to look for new pedals to replace my Spd 105 pedals this year. The arthritis in my left hip and knee are causing me difficulty rotating my left foot when unclipping from my left pedal even when tension is reduced to minimum. Fell a few times last year. My wife likes her Speedplay pedals but man that cleat is big and makes walking on them difficult. Hate the idea of having to go back to a cage. So hopefully I can find a suitable pedal.

#28 ·
I've had 3 Rockies, an Element & a carbon Altitude from 2010, and an aluminum framed Alti from 2011. Loved them all. Still have both Altitudes but don't ride as much since I got into trail running which is kind of like mtn biking without the bikes.

Being a gear whore with bikes previously easily rivals GAS (as it's called here - I prefer gear whore)

#26 ·
I've rode nothing but CanTire supercycle as a kid, and enjoyed them enough.
As I grew to my full height they became too short to ride without an extended seat pole. (I'm 6'4") So I rode the past 6 years(most recent bike purchase) on an undersized bike, completely and totally unaware companies were building bikes for tall peeps.

Until I went to a bike shop to get a replacement eim, and of course the guy asked what bike, frame size, etc....
Then he goes in the back and pulls out an old stock bicycle with a 26" frame.
Tells me to try it out, and my balance is restored, no longer compensating for my bodyweight being too high, I freaking loved it.
It was a 2014 Old Stock bike, so they marked it down 200.00
SOLD!!

looking very much forward to this summer bike trips.

The bike brand........Giant.
2014 Giant Sedona.

From what I hear, good brand, good bikes.
don't care, Just glad to have a bike my size again.

#29 ·
i like to ride when the weather is nice, but i stay off the dirt. i haul my groceries and other goods with it, or use it to avoid the ttc

the most awesome part is the gumby tied to my headstock. he's been on every motorcycle and bike i've owned for the last 17 yrs.

#31 ·
I bought a couple last year (for my son and I). I have no idea what they are, but they look cool (I can't remember and they're in the shed).

I drove off my front steps and sacked myself on the bar (which was caught on tape, unfortunately). I wish I sprung some better suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.