The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new TV soon (one of the big ones) and am thinking of cutting the cable cord.

I have my senior citizen mother living with me so will need to keep cable for her, but for my TV I think another option might be best. The problem is that I know next to nothing about Android boxes, Apple TV, IPTV providers, and the like so I was wondering if anyone here could offer advice on cutting the cord? My brother is into this stuff but is an Apple fanboy so I can't ask him as the only option he will provide is Apple TV and I'd like to explore all of the options before I do this.

Worst comes to worst, I could just switch to an HD cable package but would prefer not to.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
We got a roku 50" at best buy two years ago, same tv is $200 less than we paid. No issues just having netflix and our dvd's. You could get netflix and krave and still be way less than cable.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
The problem is that I know next to nothing about Android boxes, Apple TV, IPTV providers, and the like so I was wondering if anyone here could offer advice on cutting the cord? My brother is into this stuff but is an Apple fanboy so I can't ask him as the only option he will provide is Apple TV and I'd like to explore all of the options before I do this.
I'll be watching this thread.

What I can offer to it so far is that we dropped cable TV over a year ago. We have two Apple TV plus Roku and Chrome devices. However in the far-too-little time I've devoted to setting up any of them, we've gravitated to watching Apple TV nearly all the time, and to watching only what we've easily found available for it.

That means we watch a TON of Netflix, dozens of hours per month. We watch some <gag> CBC because CBC's is one of the few apps I've found that provides "regular TV" - even if not live regular TV - without paying a monthly fee. It's possible to watch news, Marketplace, and a selection of other shows, not live but current. We watch a very little bit of Crackle - lots of choices there but none of it aims very high. And that's about it.

Most other apps I've found (again, have not looked exhaustively) offer only teasers and sample episodes unless you subscribe to them. It would be really easy to run our TV-watching cost back up to our previous cable cost (over $140/mo) by subscribing to all the channels we'd probably like to watch.

Don't want to do that so I too would like advice about which apps for which devices will allow my wife to get her fixes of live TV (if possible) or more sources of archived current "regular" TV, at low or no cost.

If I can get her The Voice and a few other shows on our big TVs (without faking it by casting from an iPad) then she would reward me in ways I shouldn't detail here. Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I have not paid for cable in 10 years. Bit torrent. Bit torrent Bit torrent, and nothing but Bit torrent. I download everything!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,104 Posts
I have not paid for cable in 10 years. Bit torrent. Bit torrent Bit torrent, and nothing but Bit torrent. I download everything!!!!!!
Try showbox. We have it on a tablet here and just steam everything to the TV through the tablet. No need for downloads

Reactions: colchar

·
Administrator
15,980 Posts
Just wondering but could you not get local news channels just using good old fashioned antenna?

I'll be watching this thread.

What I can offer to it so far is that we dropped cable TV over a year ago. We have two Apple TV plus Roku and Chrome devices. However in the far-too-little time I've devoted to setting up any of them, we've gravitated to watching Apple TV nearly all the time, and to watching only what we've easily found available for it.

That means we watch a TON of Netflix, dozens of hours per month. We watch some <gag> CBC because CBC's is one of the few apps I've found that provides "regular TV" - even if not live regular TV - without paying a monthly fee. It's possible to watch news, Marketplace, and a selection of other shows, not live but current. We watch a very little bit of Crackle - lots of choices there but none of it aims very high. And that's about it.

Most other apps I've found (again, have not looked exhaustively) offer only teasers and sample episodes unless you subscribe to them. It would be really easy to run our TV-watching cost back up to our previous cable cost (over $140/mo) by subscribing to all the channels we'd probably like to watch.

Don't want to do that so I too would like advice about which apps for which devices will allow my wife to get her fixes of live TV (if possible) or more sources of archived current "regular" TV, at low or no cost.

If I can get her The Voice and a few other shows on our big TVs (without faking it by casting from an iPad) then she would reward me in ways I shouldn't detail here. Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Try shoebox. We have it on a tablet here and just steam everything to the TV through the tablet. No need for downloads
It takes me about 5 minutes to download a 2GB movie file, and less than a minute to download a 200MB tv show. I come home from work, see what was on last night, click what I want to DL. Make dinner, watch downloads at my convenience. And if it's a good movie I like to keep it to watch again

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Kodi Box is another option. Basically gray market Netflix. I don’t use it but I know others that do. Saw a story recently that ISP’s are now allowed to charge the studios to rat out their clients. Not sure if that will increase reporting or decrease it.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I can get her The Voice and a few other shows on our big TVs (without faking it by casting from an iPad) then she would reward me in ways I shouldn't detail here.

Don't even bother with that, just use the credit earned to get her to allow you to buy more gear!

P

·
0 Posts
Online streaming is the way some people do it. Just hook up your PC to the TV, and start watching. No 3rd party box, no fees etc.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I cut the cord. I use a Raspberry Pi w/OSMC. I can watch youtube on it and there are torrent series/movies available.
I live stream news on laptop. All free so far. ($50 for a Raspberry). Control the media centre with your phone or laptop.
The only thing I can't talk to is live sports. You will need a VPN if you go this route. $5 a month. Basic tech knowledge is preferable this route.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You won’t be able to watch sports. That’s the only reason I got cable again (well, they offered it to me basically for free, too).

My brother can...I think he has the NHL Network for hockey and something else for other sports. We are going to the Leafs' game tomorrow night so I'll ask him for more details then.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Live sports is definitely possible but you have you to subscribe to various services and depending on your sports' addiction that can really add up.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
My brother can...I think he has the NHL Network for hockey and something else for other sports. We are going to the Leafs' game tomorrow night so I'll ask him for more details then.
I had the NHL streaming service with an international account with an IP service. This allowed me to avoid the local blackouts on Leafs games. It worked, but they might have changed things. It got to be a pain trying to find good streams for free, which is why I paid the NHL package.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I got my Shaw bill down from $130 to around $80 a couple of years ago. All HD with sports, news, good movies and the new TV shows. I PVR everything. My internet is about the same with 300Gb per month. That's a lot of entertainment for $160 per month so I can live with that. I have to, my wife would not be happy if she couldn't watch regular TV programming.

Colchar: If your mother will be getting in a feed. Can't you come up with a way to piggyback off her signal or something like that. My Shaw satellite gives me 4 HD feeds into the house. My PVR takes two and the other two feed my kitchen TV and my Bedroom TV.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm about to cut the cord with TV, for the most part, it's crap...tonnes and tonnes of crap.

I've been testing some IPTV lately and it's great. Easy to use menus and little lag. That'll cost approx $20/month per device.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my Shaw bill down from $130 to around $80 a couple of years ago. All HD with sports, news, good movies and the new TV shows. I PVR everything. My internet is about the same with 300Gb per month. That's a lot of entertainment for $160 per month so I can live with that. I have to, my wife would not be happy if she couldn't watch regular TV programming.

Colchar: If your mother will be getting in a feed. Can't you come up with a way to piggyback off her signal or something like that. My Shaw satellite gives me 4 HD feeds into the house. My PVR takes two and the other two feed my kitchen TV and my Bedroom TV.

I am considering that, but the new TV will be HD while hers is an older SD one. I guess I could switch the package to an HD one as her TV will down convert, but I can't get an SD package as those look like crap on HD sets.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm about to cut the cord with TV, for the most part, it's crap...tonnes and tonnes of crap.

I've been testing some IPTV lately and it's great. Easy to use menus and little lag. That'll cost approx $20/month per device.

Details please? I know nothing about IPTV.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts