The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the thread title is what I'm considering.

I'd like to design a simple peghead logo and have that applied to some waterslide decals.

Have any of you done such a thing or can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks as always

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Well, the thread title is what I'm considering.

I'd like to design a simple peghead logo and have that applied to some waterslide decals.

Have any of you done such a thing or can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks as always
Try user Telebluze on The Gear Page. I’ve gotten a few from him

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try user Telebluze on The Gear Page. I’ve gotten a few from him

Thanks, but I've been permabanned there. They're a bit sensitive. I posted a cartoon that was widely posted elsewhere including here, which made light of the closed borders and since then I've been Persona Non Grata.

I'd be happy to deal with "Telebluze" if there's an alternate way for me to reach him.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I asked Brad at Shyboy & Tex once, and he said he made his own. There is waterslide paper you can get from a place like Michael's. Design and print your own. Then I think you put a protective clear coat on it.

You could ask at StickerYou in Toronto. StickerYou Store
A couple of summers ago, we had temporary tattoos made up. That's a waterslide, isn't it? I don't see them on their web any more. Ask them.

You could do the same at Sticker Mule. They're US based but I see they now offer free shipping to Canada. StickerYou Store

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
If you have a printer you can buy waterslide blanks. Staples etc...

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
Keep in mind that printers can't print the colour white. Some other colours, like gold, don't show too well on the decal sheet either, unless you're applying it to a white background.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Keep in mind that printers can't print the colour white. Some other colours, like gold, don't show too well on the decal sheet either, unless you're applying it to a white background.

I was planning on black. Most of our pegheads are maple so far. Black script on a maple peghead should be ok. Some of them we plan to do matching paint on the faces of the pegheads so I think the logo may go on the back of those ones.

And, by the way, thanks again for the great suggestion!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I had some printed at a local print shop that has since closed. They had an ALPS printer that could print white & silver. I’m sure they also cut them. They printed a whole lot of them, my luthier had a ton of trouble and used them all.

The model railroad hobby is the place to look.

lightindusties.ca says they are in rural Ontario. Seems sketchy.

Have you seen the Cricut cutting machines? Could be an alternative to die-cutting.

Relic CustomShop is advertising on Kijiji.

I had an idea to inlay a piece of art marble glass in a headstock in place of a logo.

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had some printed at a local print shop that has since closed. They had an ALPS printer that could print white & silver. I’m sure they also cut them. They printed a whole lot of them, my luthier had a tons of trouble and used them all.

The model railroad hobby is the place to look.

lightindusties.ca says they are in rural Ontario. Seems sketchy.

Have you seen the Cricut cutting machines? Could be an alternative to die-cutting.

Relic CustomShop is advertising on Kijiji.

I had an idea to inlay a piece of art marble glass in a headstock in place of a logo.
A laser cut inlay would be pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You would think it would be easy enough to create a stencil and ink or spray paint, then clear coat it.

Everyone does waterslide, there must be a reason. What did Peavey do?

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I would also recommend getting the Micro Sol liquids for appli action. Blue and the red

Attachments

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had great success with a colour laser printer and decal paper.
Unfortunately I don't have a laser printer. I have an Epson Inkjet.

I've ordered the waterslide decal paper, the transfer chemicals and the recommended acrylic clear coat.

Even if I f%$k up a few, I can print quite a few on each sheet. I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a laser printer. I have an Epson Inkjet.

I've ordered the waterslide decal paper, the transfer chemicals and the recommended acrylic clear coat.

Even if I f%$k up a few, I can print quite a few on each sheet. I'll give it a try.
Where did you find the decal paper?

I have been searching staples dot ca and not finding anything.

I have been told that you can print out an outline of a decal and print it - then use a paint pen to infil the colour.
I managed to find some paint pens at micheals pre lockdown but no decal paper.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where did you find the decal paper?

I have been searching staples dot ca and not finding anything.

I have been told that you can print out an outline of a decal and print it - then use a paint pen to infil the colour.
I managed to find some paint pens at micheals pre lockdown but no decal paper.

Nathan
Amazon

And there's an acrylic clear coat they recommend which I also ordered.

Knight_YYZ recommended two transfer chemicals which I also ordered.

I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Premium Member
17,848 Posts
We have a cricut and it may be a decent alternative. You could also use the cricut paper to go over existing pickguards for custom options.

·
Premium Member
17,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have a cricut and it may be a decent alternative. You could also use the cricut paper to go over existing pickguards for custom options.
Sorry, a what?

I tried to google it. Is it a vinyl die cutting thing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts