The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm starting a new custom Telecaster build. This guitar is for Blair (tomsy49) who's a member of this community. Here are some of the specs and photos of the woods that I'll use.

Specs:
  • body: three-piece African mahogany, expected thickness is a bit less than 1.5"
  • top: book-matched Padouk with sapwood center, expected thickness is around 3/8"
  • neck: laminated, flamed maple / padouk / flamed maple
  • fretboard: choice of bird's eye maple, jacaranda, rosewood, etc. (12″ radius)
  • 25.5" scale length
  • bridge pickup: DiMario The Chopper T™ Bridge with push-pull tone knob for coil splitting
  • neck pickup: single coil
  • all black hardware: tuners, bridge, knobs, etc.
A look at the different species of wood that I'll be using.

From left to right: African padouk (top), African mahogany (body), flamed maple (neck laminate), African padouk (neck laminate), jacaranda (fretboard), bird’s eye maple (fretboard)

I will make 2 book-matched tops from this one piece of beautiful African Padauk. One will go to this build.

The neck will be made from 2 pieces of flamed maple sandwiched with this piece of padouk.

A closer look at the jacaranda and bird’s eye maple. Not sure which one will make it onto the final guitar... we'll see... any opinions?

Sorry... I had to post one more photo of this crazy piece of padouk :)

L

·
0 Posts
I'm not a tele fan, but, I'll be watching this build.
I love watching people make things that I'm not able to do.

My choice would be the bird’s eye.
I think the contrast would look nicer with the padouk.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The mahogany board is cut into three equal pieces

The edges are jointed and then glued up

A bit of cleaning up is needed but the body blank is essentially ready

I resaw the padouk into two bookmatched pieces...

... then each piece is resawn again to get a set of 2 bookmacthed Padouk tops with white sapwood in the middle. This wood is stunning!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Planing the boards using my new planer. Previously, I would have used my router and router planing jig... it would have taken me hours of work and frustration. Needless to say that I’m really liking it so far :)

Before and after planing. All the band saw marks are gone, the surface is clean, flat and smooth.

Now comes the difficult part. Blair and I are having a hard time choosing with bookmatch and fretboard combination to go with, so we decided to get your feedback. Below are 6 possible combinations: 2 types of bookmacthing (white sapwood stripe or all-red) and 3 types of fretboards (bird's eye maple, jacaranda or rosewood)

The questions is: aesthetically speaking, which one do you prefer?

1. White sapwood stripe with bird’eye maple fretboard?

2. White sapwood stripe with jacaranda fretboard?

3. White sapwood stripe with rosewood fretboard?

... continued...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
After a couple of looks, I like the white stripe with the Birds eye as well. It somehow opens up the look of the body or something. Not sure how to describe it.

Glad to see another Araz build thread. Beautiful wood choices here.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have been mulling over this for the last couple days so i designed a couple mockups of the guitars using Araz' pics. Maybe will give you a better idea what the finished product will look like if you can't decide either
red maple.JPG
Red Rosewood.JPG
Stripe Maple.JPG

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, when you put them like that I think I might change my vote...I think I like the first one, red body with maple neck.

Is the headstock going to be red?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts