Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG-20190319-WA0002 - Body
IMG-20190314-WA0006 - Neck
IMG-20190314-WA0011 - headstock with gold pearloid tuners
IMG-20190314-WA0012 - headstock 2
IMG-20190314-WA0005 - fretboard

Just wanted to share something that I'm really excited about. A local builder from Toronto-Brampton named Daniel Hano (website: About) has almost completed my strat build that started in December. The idea was to draw inspiration from a sunset. So it's sunburst underneath the relic'ed black coat. The main idea came from the John Mayer Black1, Eric Clapton's Blackie and SRV's no 1. I wanted to pay tribute to all my heroes and also have a strat that would be my permanent number 1. The pickups are fender custom shops that were gifted to me by a friend and most of the hardware on the guitar is by Wilkinson. The specs on the neck and body are identical to the Black1 so alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, 6105 stainless steel frets, modern C neck and a 9.5" radius.

It's been an amazing experience getting my first custom guitar built and I'm so excited to almost have it. Also, it wasn't super expensive and Daniel was really precise with the details that I wanted. Let me know what you think, if you've heard of Daniel Hano and have a guitar built by him :)

Cheers!

EDIT: Links working!

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
you can copy and paste

Reactions: Sunny1433

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! The markers were actually relic'ed/darkened by daniel. Not sure how he did it. I didn't even know he was going to do that but yes they look really great and suit the build so well! He really went above and beyond :)

Beautiful! Congratulations!

The RW board with the dark (clay...I assume) markers is very appealing to me.

View attachment 247460

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Looking good!

I think he posts builds for sale in some facebook groups Im in.

Enjoy your new guitar!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So a bit of a sad update on this. Daniel messaged me and said that the build was complete but he wasn't happy with how the neck turned out. The truss rod was stiffer than he liked and the action wasn't what he wanted. He asked me if he could rebuild the neck. It would take another month, so the build would be around 5 months. I was disappointed yes, but I was really grateful for his honesty about the guitar. Since I want it to be my number 1 'forever' guitar, he understood that and wanted to do that justice. That was nice :) and he's throwing in a 3-loop switcher that he built for free! May can't come soon enough...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Big congrat's on that! There's something about a custom, where you know the dude, and he's shook your hand.

Delays are part of not buying off the rack. I found once I embraced, "I've got guitars I love, to wait it out -- gets here when it gets here." rather than letting it get me stressed, I do better. My wife was actually quite surprised how well I took my last guitar's delays. Too bad I didn't learn it until likely 'my last' guitar. :rolleyes:

Thanks for supporting Canadian builders.

Reactions: Sunny1433

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big congrat's on that! There's something about a custom, where you know the dude, and he's shook your hand.

Delays are part of not buying off the rack. I found once I embraced, "I've got guitars I love, to wait it out -- gets here when it gets here." rather than letting it get me stressed, I do better. My wife was actually quite surprised how well I took my last guitar's delays. Too bad I didn't learn it until likely 'my last' guitar. :rolleyes:

Thanks for supporting Canadian builders.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I don't mind the waiting now because the builder is so passionate. And having met him and seen that makes it loads better. He supported me and my budget so I'm happy to support him!

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but what are the fret dots made of - like that rose colour.

Congrats on the build.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So a bit of a sad update on this. Daniel messaged me and said that the build was complete but he wasn't happy with how the neck turned out. The truss rod was stiffer than he liked and the action wasn't what he wanted. He asked me if he could rebuild the neck. It would take another month, so the build would be around 5 months. I was disappointed yes, but I was really grateful for his honesty about the guitar. Since I want it to be my number 1 'forever' guitar, he understood that and wanted to do that justice. That was nice :) and he's throwing in a 3-loop switcher that he built for free! May can't come soon enough...
Is this guitar in your hands yet?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts