The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guyz,
the other bassist in my band (yes, we are two bass player in the same band!) is looking to get a custom made bass. Something "different", 27 frets, whammy bar... and he's asked me about some luthiers that could build that. I had a few names but I am a bit lost.

Do you have any recommendations? He would prefer to keep it close to Montreal since he wants to visit the shop and talk with the builder.

Here's the suggestion I had for him:

- FBass;
- Lutherie MF;
- Bond Instruments;
- Bilodeau Basses.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
A great builder I knew in the past was Wilkat or wilcats guitar. Has a great reputation. Has been in the field for 40 years... don' know if he still operates. I'll look in my buss cards.

Edit... sorry, can't seem to find his site or buss card!

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
What about the dudes that did your Traynor headshell - Millimetric or whatever it was. They had some cool looking things, if very geometric and nichey. Dunno if they would do complete custom stuff that isn't those things though, or what your friend is looking for.

Personally I am not so into the body shape of their bass model, but I do like offsetish single cut guitar one a lot. Nice an unique without being too weird.

Reactions: Ti-Ron

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
Ask him if he *really* wants a tremolo on a bass.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A great builder I knew in the past was Wilkat or wilcats guitar. Has a great reputation. Has been in the field for 40 years... don' know if he still operates. I'll look in my buss cards.

Edit... sorry, can't seem to find his site or buss card!
Thanks for the help, I discovered too that some compagnies I have in mind closed during the years.

What about the dudes that did your Traynor headshell - Millimetric or whatever it was. They had some cool looking things, if very geometric and nichey. Dunno if they would do complete custom stuff that isn't those things though, or what your friend is looking for.

Personally I am not so into the body shape of their bass model, but I do like offsetish single cut guitar one a lot. Nice an unique without being too weird.
Yeah, I showed him but he's looking for something more "agressive". I am secretly planning a Millimetrics build for myself! ;)

Yeah, he's really serious. He wants a "lead" bass. Kalher seems to have a solution for those weirdos! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Yeah, he's really serious. I want a "lead" bass. Kalher seems to have a solution for those weirdos! ;)
I know a few guys who love them. Mostly prog rockers.

The coolest was this 70s RD Artist bass.

Mpre Kahler pron and more pics of the above bass (as well as that guy's other ones) here: Show us your Bass with Tremolo Bridge

·
Registered
951 Posts
A co-worker makes custom guitars and basses.

@davetcan can attest to the quality as he had a guitar made from this builder.

I can check with him next week to see if he is still doing this and if so, send you contact info.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Fbass Hamilton

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A co-worker makes custom guitars and basses.

@davetcan can attest to the quality as he had a guitar made from this builder.

I can check with him next week to see if he is still doing this and if so, send you contact info.
Is it Ayr guitars?

Fbass Hamilton
Yep, it is on the list! :)

No info, I've heard he had some health problems in the last years... he's certainly not producing them like he used to back in the days

Still has a website so I would try contacting him directly
Cool, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I think nic delisle of island instruments is in Montreal.
That sounds right up his alley.
He makes a lot of headless and other weird stuff.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
27 frets, whammy bar
Might a Bass VI be up his alley? It has the whammy bar and more strings instead of higher fret access.

It sounds like he is interested in something pretty experimental, which is likely to be expensive and almost impossible to resell. Trying the Bass VI might be a good "prototype" into this area. Perhaps that will be enough, or at the very least it may give some insight into refining the concept and then he can resell the Bass VI after he receives the custom-made bass.

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
No better way to learn than experience in some cases, re: experimental and resale.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might a Bass VI be up his alley? It has the whammy bar and more strings instead of higher fret access.

It sounds like he is interested in something pretty experimental, which is likely to be expensive and almost impossible to resell. Trying the Bass VI might be a good "prototype" into this area. Perhaps that will be enough, or at the very least it may give some insight into refining the concept and then he can resell the Bass VI after he receives the custom-made bass.
No better way to learn than experience in some cases, re: experimental and resale.
I don't really worry about that part, he's the kind of guy that won't buy new stuff even if needed and we he finally dive, those things stick with him forever.
The bass VI is a good idea, I'll pass it on, thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
This thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning Sheldon Dingwall. Not quite driving distance, but a Canadian success story. Hey, c'mon out to SK and do some tornado watching!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts