The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, two MIK guitars, same model, same year of manufacture - 2002. I think they were import models only - they seem to have been distributed in the Asian market only (read: Japan), although I'm not positive... there's not a lot of info on these guitars, although they seem to be precursors to the Nuno Bettancourt series. Both of mine were acquired via Craigslist last year but from two different sellers, roughly 3 months apart. These are not exactly common guitars in North America... from my research, they seem to be pretty rare.

Yesterday I was photographing my guitars for insurance purposes, including listing all their SN's and shooting them where possible. That's when I discovered that these guitars are not only from the same year.... looks like the black one was made just before the purple one. That's right, they're separated by a single digit.

Meet the my Washburn WG-780 duo: N02050887 and N02050888.

Crazy, eh. What are the chances?

Now, I realize that the SNs might not denote the chronology, but I imagine it's likely they do. Kind of remarkable any way you look at it.

As an aside, the black one's been de-Floyded. My friend Mell threw in a nice maple block to match the maple extended cutaway neck. Seems to have made it a deeper, more resonant guitar. I'm thinking of doing something similar to its fraternal twin... I'm not all that keen on Floyd-equipped guitars. Although the neck access on these puppies is phenomenal.

Anyway, just had to share - cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The odds are less than the 6/49, you won the wrong lottery.........

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow! What an amazing coincidence! :eek:

You should feel proud, you've got a set of twins. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's kinda krazy alright... hey Accept2, were you ever a member of the Washburn forums? I've run across a guy with the same handle as you and he to hails from Canuckistan.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Ive been known to hang around there from time to time........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been known to hang around there from time to time........
Thought so... so, if you don't mind my asking, what do you have that's Washburn? Beyond the aforementioned twins, I have a low-end, late-model bass, a sweet sparkle-red X-10 that I got for cheap as product placement, and a nice '92 slim-line acoustic. They're all very nice guitars, BTW.

Dang... now my twin-guitar pic isn't showing up in this thread... I'm guessing .mac is screwing up. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Ive dumped alot of my Washburns, but I still have a Slammer, 3 ECs, 2 Stages, a Wing, and 9 Custom Mercuries from when Grover jackson was there..........

·
Registered
377 Posts
My main guitar right now is a washburn, i could never identify it, though. Anyway it's a sweet player.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
BlueZombie, yours is a WG Series. They were recent models from about 1999 or so and are still being pumped out..........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, Accept2... for a pineapple residing at the bottom of the sea, you certainly do have a boatload of Washies. I humbly bow in your exalted Washburnian presence. And I thought I was a bit touched in that department.

By the way, I didn't think the WG series were still being produced at this point. I thought they were discontinued a few years back. Best go to the Washburn site and check it out, I guess.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bluezombie, can you post pics of your axe, out of curiosity's sake?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I dont think they even ever appeared on the site. They make them for other markets as well as certain retailers, such as Music 1-2-3.............

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha. Can be confusing when they do this kind of cross marketing thing... certain models available in one zone, nonexistent in another, renamed something else in still another... cripes.

Gonna check out this Music 1-2-3 site, see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took an admittedly quick gander.. it doesn't look like they're moving any of the WG series guitars. I'm guessing they stopped production of that line sometime in the last five years. I did see a pretty cool red 7 string WG on the Toronto CL site a couple of days ago, and it appeared to be in quite good condition... but I have enough Superstrats and I'm kind of hooked on the Stephens Extended Cutaway necks... which the 7 string lacked.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
that's crazy cool! and yeah definitely looks like the nuno precursors to me too.

nice pair! :p

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it's that distinctive cutaway... so fas as I know, Washburn is the only company licensed to use that cutaway, and the Nuno series are the only ones currently using it. The original guitar maker, Stephens, stopped making guitars years ago. Wonder what the story is there. Great necks, anyway, and they bolt on very securely... five bolts arrayed in a curve. Solid rock maple with a nice satin finish... good stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The Nunos actually came out around 1990, many years before those guitars were made. The Stephens Extended Cutaway was liecensed to Washburn for the EC series guitars in about 1988. Its been used on the EC Series, a couple of acoustic models, the Nuno Series, the Nexis Series, this series, and a few others.............

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info, then. Seems they apply the cutaway neck from time to time and change up the lines... the weird and woolly decisions of marketing... so the WGs are simply following in the footsteps of other Washburn licensed SEC guitars, rather than the other way around.

OK, cool - I consider myself edumacated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts