The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a Custom shop Nocaster on Kijiji I'm interested in. The problem is the guy lives in Quinte West up by Belleville. He's agreed to meet me halfway if its a sure thing. Based on the specs he's and description he's told me and he's supplying me more pics, if its accurate then it would be a sure thing.
So if anyone knows what halfway to Belleville from Brantford would be let me know. Or if you're not familiar with Brantford, say an hour east of Hamilton would be about halfway.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Actually, looks like Ajax.
Yep, at 150kms, Ajax is about right.
Thinking....Timmy’s.
245 Salem Rd S, Ajax, ON L1Z 2C9

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
If I were you, I'd go really early in the morning, leaving Brantford around 5:30am, around 11:00 am or early evening around 7:00 pm to avoid the Toronto traffic.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something seems off about this seller. He is advertising a regular custom shop nocaster that seems very lightly relic'd, which I prefer light relic to closet classic. The pics look hardly relic'd. He says its 6.7 pounds and 9.5 radius with 6105 frets which he knows those are the specs I'm looking for. He's asking $2,800 which is good for a CS Relic. I ask for more pics and the build sheet. The pics all check out and look like the guitar pics from Kijiji. The build sheet lists it as a Masterbuilt by David Fessler (who is a masterbuilder) and that its a heavy relic. I actually have a Masterbuilt heavy relic sitting in my office right now that belongs to bbigsby off this forum. If I could get this one for $2,800 I'd snag it right away. But then I'd have to kick his ass for selling for a stupid price.
The point is who sells a masterbuilt for that much money and the pics don't exactly look like a heavy relic. Unless there is that much variation where a heavy relic looks light. But still a Masterbuilt for $2,800? And the fact that he never once said it was a masterbuilt and doesn't mention that in his Kijiji ad. Who forgets that detail when you're trying to sell a guitar?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I asked the seller about the build sheet discrepancy this is what he said:

Yeah oddly enough that’s the only Nocaster build sheet I could find I’ve emailed Fender for the original because I can’t seem to find mine. We moved recently and I’ve still got boxes in the workroom to unpack. Medium jumbo frets and 9.5 radius I know this as fact but it’s a medium relic. Let me get the original build sheet before we do anything I’m in no rush to sell it so it’s not going anywhere plus I’d rather all the paperwork stays with it for whom ever buys it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I might be meeting him next Sunday in Ajax at the Freshco. He's the manager there so I think there is little chance of becoming the next Tim Bosma.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
When I asked the seller about the build sheet discrepancy this is what he said:
He sounds legit to me. If I was interested in this guitar, I would at least check it out.

Reactions: guitarman2

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is this the guitar you’re after? If yes, the lack of a tweed case would make me wary.

Fender Nocaster Relic 2008 with COA $2800 | Guitars | Trenton | Kijiji
Yes that did cross my mind. As I did own a CS Nocaster from that time period I know they used to come with both that case pictured as well as either the tweed case or the other 50's style thats very small and more molded to the guitar. Very cheapish looking. When I sold my first Nocaster I sold it with the tweed case and not the black moulded one. When I sold my last nocaster I had both cases.
Why would you be wary if one of the cases are missing. If everything is on the up and up with the guitar the price matches one of the cases missing. He's definitely not the original owner.

Here is the Nocaster case I got with my last CS Nocaster as well as the black moulded one.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes that did cross my mind. As I did own a CS Nocaster from that time period I know they used to come with both that case pictured as well as either the tweed case or the other 50's style thats very small and more molded to the guitar. Very cheapish looking. When I sold my first Nocaster I sold it with the tweed case and not the black moulded one. When I sold my last nocaster I had both cases.
Why would you be wary if one of the cases are missing. If everything is on the up and up with the guitar the price matches one of the cases missing. He's definitely not the original owner.

Here is the Nocaster case I got with my last CS Nocaster as well as the black moulded one.

Oh right, I forgot about some years coming with 2 cases. Carry on.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah this guy was off. None of the specs he told me were right. Its actually a 7.25 radius and vintage frets. He thinks his Nocaster is a Masterbuilt because its a custom shop.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Yeah this guy was off. None of the specs he told me were right. Its actually a 7.25 radius and vintage frets. He thinks his Nocaster is a Masterbuilt because its a custom shop.
That's a shame and a little frustrating at the same time. I never understood the obsession people have with old fenders, personally a 7.25 radius ruins a guitar for me.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you passed on it?

I'd like to try one out. What years came with the 9.5" radius? 7.25" isn't my cup of tea.
I think that most all years you could get a custom shop nocaster with 7.25 or 9.5 radius and either vintage or modern frets. Back when that sellers nocaster was made in 2008 they were rare though. I owned a Nocaster from that time and I remember wanting to sell it and getting one with a 9.5 radius. At that time the only place I could find with those specs were from Wildwood guitars and were mostly special runs. They had their dealer select 10's and had a number of custom shop telecaster and nocasters with 9.5 radius.
Now currently since, from what I see about 2013 it went the other way with most Nocasters now being 9.5 with 6105 frets.
Back in about 2007 I had a 52 AVRI but couldn't bond with the skinny neck, vintage frets or 7.25 radius. It was one of my favorite guitars tone wise. So finally the end of last year I bought one of Wildwoods special run of American vintage 52 thin skin telecasters. It has the 9.5, 6105 frets and thin nitro finish and custom shop twisted tele pickups, the same ones they use in some of their Custom shop nocasters. I did some soul searching last night and I think I'm going to put my quest for a Nocaster on hold as I think that this 52 thin skin is more than enough from what I need in a Telecaster. I've got my sights on a couple other things now that I'm in need and have been wanting for a while. I'm investigating an SG and maybe a small amp.
Funny enough Fender now has heard the masses. The 52 America original 50's now replaces the 52 american vintage. Its not based on a specific year like the 52. Just 50's inspired specs. It has a 9.5 radius, 6105 frets, and a fairly chunky neck. The down sides are that it went back to the darker butterscotch finish, where as I preferred the more yellow, nocaster like finish.
I played one at Long and Mcquade in Cambridge and it was pretty nice. What I really liked about that guitar as it was very light. Had to be about 7 pounds or maybe a hair under. My 52 thin skin is 7.7 pounds and the one in Cambridge felt much lighter. These new american originals are about $400 cheaper as well. Anyone looking for a 50's inspired tele with more modern neck specs and likes a little girth (not as big as a Nocaster neck but close) should check them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts