The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to add to the thread Alex started,
I just got call from "Visa security department" informing me that my credit card was charged with $300 dollars on eBay purchase at 4am.

I asked:
1. what is the credit card number - "Sorry cannot tell you that I can tell you that it starts with 45" - well all Visa's start with 45
2. after telling him that and asking who he is, and how he will confirm HIS identity,
silence.

So be aware of just one more type of fraud.

Hope this helps
yours Bojan

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And just to add.
Whenever you receive the call, rule of thumb is:
NEVER EVER give any kind of personal information.
Only if you initiated the call.

In general the 1st step of defense is - if you receive a call - always treat as a "guilty" - fraudulent call :)

yours truly
Bojan

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I got the same call a few weeks ago. The phone is in my wife's maiden name soooo.....When the guy addressed me as Mr. G... That was the first clue. The second clue was we don't have a Visa, we have a Mastercard, in my name. So when he said there was a $300 transaction this morning on my card, I said "Yes, I know".......Stunned silence....lol. There are so many benefits to having the phone in my wife's maiden name. If they don't know who I am, they are scammers.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Oddly, the real calls sound exactly the same where they ask you to confirm all kinds of personal info. I've had legit calls about credit card fraud, but I had to say, "Thanks, but I'll call back to the phone number printed on my card to confirm." They won't care, but they don't seem to be used to this kind of response like I think they should.

Note: Don't let them give you the number to call back, because it could be fake too! Just look for a phone number on your credit card.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Heh. I've hung up on legitimate calls. Whatever. It'll work itself out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
And just to add.
Whenever you receive the call, rule of thumb is:
NEVER EVER give any kind of personal information.
Only if you initiated the call.

In general the 1st step of defense is - if you receive a call - always treat as a "guilty" - fraudulent call :)

yours truly
Bojan
Excellent advice!!!......

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oddly, the real calls sound exactly the same where they ask you to confirm all kinds of personal info. I've had legit calls about credit card fraud, but I had to say, "Thanks, but I'll call back to the phone number printed on my card to confirm." They won't care, but they don't seem to be used to this kind of response like I think they should.

Note: Don't let them give you the number to call back, because it could be fake too! Just look for a phone number on your credit card.
Another great point...refer to the back of your card and call that# and explain the circumstance...They will tell you exactly if its a legit secirity enquiry!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Not having a home phone but cell phones eliminate 99% of those kind of calls but it's good to know.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
The majority of the calls I get like that are on my cellphone, not my home phone.

And I freely and happily give out all sort of personal information. I suspect Santa Clause will have me on his 'bad' list when he finds out all the things I signed him up for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts