The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see this often in the Buy/Sell pages, when someone regrets parting with a particular piece of gear. This may be the opposite to the well-known affliction known as G.A.S.

I’ve been known to have the odd bout of GAS. But rarely have I suffered from GDR, as I tend to keep everything I buy.

But for those going through GDR, the struggle is real.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sold/traded many over the years with no regrets .. except for one.
Back in the mid 90's, I traded a '82 Gibson Explorer Natural with factory case for a Sony stereo system.
Dumb, dumb, dumb. View attachment 233348
That’s HUGE GDR right there...... oh my.... what’s that stereo worth today?

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I've had some moments of GDR for the J-45 True Vintage I sold at the Elmira show in the spring. It'll probably subside when my Halcyon Advanced Jumbo finally gets to me. I hope.

Other than that, I've had twinges for some other pieces of gear gone by, but for the most part I'm pleased with what I have right now. I'm leaning more toward the GAS side of things, but the GAS budget is very tight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve had one bad case of GDR; it was an Ibanez bass that I sold when I was younger. I have since replaced it with a much higher end model from the same series, and now I’m looking at selling that bass.

I always seem to fall in love with new purchases, and the newest item becomes the latest and greatest thing. That opened me up to the mindset of ‘there will always be a better instrument waiting around the corner’. I don’t mind selling something great, if it opens me up to purchasing something even better in the future. I haven’t regretted any of my recent sales because of this.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There are a few things- the '66 vibrolux reverb, the blackface vibrochamps, the '64 bassman. A '76 LP Standard... That super resonant late 80's rg570...But although I regret letting those go, I just can't justify keeping it all.

There's some more things I've been hanging on to that I'm pretty ready to let go I think. The keepers are pretty well established at this point.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Ive been on a big gear churn for most of the past 20ish years, have lots of GDR. Amps, guitars. Not so much since I switched to bass 3-4 years ago, though I sorta wish I hung onto the SuperBassman 300 - in reality I wasn't lugging it around due to the weight vs the great SS heads that are light and super portable - hell, I carry 2 in my gig bag these days. But several guitars and MANY amps I wish I'd held onto. A mint clean '67 Deluxe Reverb, the first '66 Pro Reverb I had (had another that never sounded as good even after $$ tech and speakers replace), a Rockerverb 1st gen with the 6V6's, a few others.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
1) Late 50s 5E3 that I sold for $300 in ‘92

2) Pelham Blue ‘80 LP Custom & late 50s DuoJet that I traded straight up for a brand new SRV Strat in ‘93. The regret on the Gretsch is just for the value, as it didn’t play that great. The exact guitar popped up at TGS last year for $6K & after 2 minutes I amembered why I traded it 25 years earlier.

3) C.A.R. AVRI Tele Custom

Oddly enough one I don’t regret is the very clean ‘55 Les Paul I sold this summer. I used the money to throw a 50th anniversary party for my parents & buy a second dog (his name is Marshall). Hanging onto a killer ‘65 SG Jr. also took away some of the sting.

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
A blackface Tremolux head that I modded to use 6CA7/EL34 power tubes, and installed a post-inverter master volume. I think I sold it for $200 . Most other stuff I tend to hang onto, though.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Sovtek Russian made Big Muff with the big bulbous stomp switch
Got this in Seattle, same as the bixonic. The Russian muff was cheap, I thought I was buying the pumpkins muff. The Sovtek came in a full wooden box. I still have the box, but not the pedal. I must have re-soldered the 9v battery clip back together at lease 5 times.

Bixonic Expandora - got on a solo roadtrip to Seattle once, I ended up using the expandora gritty tone (with that zztop sound) but with the treble turned up in front of the Sovtek Big Muff to give the muff some bite and snarl for leads or licks.

Fender SuperSonic guitar
fun. Different sound.i could play that neck really fast for some reason, couod actually solo it reasonably. Gave it to a roommate as a damage deposit when I moved in, since I didn't have the cash. Later, many times I offered him the cash and a bit more too, but he never sold it back to me.

Garnet amp, found it in the dumpster out back of my apartment one day.
used to use it as a vocal mic amp and speaker because we had no PA. I constantly received a fuzzy feeling blue shock enter my lips and face. Didn't know what was going g on. After a few more months,we did some searching and found out we could have melted me, or burned the place down, or both. Pretty lucky to get out of that one relatively unscathed. Took it to a guitar shop guy who said he could make it safe to play, and he kept it. Call it a donation I guess.

*Just for note, there's are not pictures of my actual gear, but they are pictures of the gear I owned, in the colours and configurations I owned them in.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Not a problem I'm afflicted with. But I can live vicariously through others.

An older fella in the little town I grew up used to trade his Tele off for a new one, plus some cash of course, every year or two. I suspected he started doing this in the early to mid 60s up until I left town in the late 70's - and probably after that, too. Hey, everyone did that with cars, so why not guitars, too. They only get better with every new model year, right?

At least that was the general consensus for a while. Imagine how much extra he paid to go from an early 60s Tele to a mid-80s Tele. Yikes. Fortunately, he probably never got on the internet or onto gear websites so he never knew. And it didn't stop him from enjoying whatever Tele he had, year after year (he was hardcore old country). I hated Tele's at the time and always wondered why he wouldn't try something different every now and then, but now I love Tele's and get it .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts