The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all i am not a bassist but I have a line on a Crate B200XL SS amp (200 watt head) for my brother, $325 is the asking price, made sometime in the 90,s and looks to be in great shape. Any info or opinions would be welcomed as I know nothing about this unit.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Can't help you with that. Is it just a head, or is it a combo? 200W is the bare minumum I would recommend for a bass rig. 300-500W is preferred, but a good deal is a good deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have direct experience with Crate gear either, but quick searches in various bass forums turn up fairly descriptive adjectives that aren't too positive, with [email protected] being the most common. In support of James' comments, it may be acceptable as a bedroom/practice amp but probably wouldn't cut it for live performance depending on the type of music and size of the venue, etc.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I haven't really heard good things about Crate either, but I've heard worse about Behringer & Hartke and know people that like that gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to agree with "oddio" and "james on bass" on this one. Prices on Crate gear is discounted for good reason. There are better amps out there, but again it all depends on how serious the person is about playing, money, etc. Personally, if I was looking for a smaller amp, especially here in Canada, I'd look at some of the Traynor stuff.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks, I will take a look at the head but probibly will hold out for something better to come along.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yorkville & Traynor are top-notch and reasonably priced.

A used Gallien-Krueger 800RB would be a good as well, but you're looking probably around $500 used.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
Yorkville & Traynor are top-notch and reasonably priced.

A used Gallien-Krueger 800RB would be a good as well, but you're looking probably around $500 used.
+1 for yorkie:DevilGuitar:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts