The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a fender strat deluxe neck that someone put an overly large washer in, as it was tightened it cracked the first two frets, thinking of removing the first two frets, cutting the fretboard with a fine saw, heat treating to remove the wood, taking out the offending washer, may have to cut it with a dremel wheel, won't know until I get there. Anyone here have to do this?
thanks

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Can you post a pic? For me, cracked fretboard does not equal cracked fret (wire). And I can't imagine where the washer is. On the truss rod?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
And I can't imagine where the washer is. On the truss rod?
Seems to me this is would have to be the case,although I can't imagine anyone forcing a washer that is obviously that much too big.
Just brainstorming here
Perhaps the fretboard was cracked and the washer was an attempt to address an issue from that ?(rattle, adjustment ?)
Hard to know,
I doubt cutting up and trying to remove the fretboard would result in a desirable result,(at least probably not for me)
I'd attempt to remove the washer they same way it seems to have gone in....brute force and ignorance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes indeed the washer is on the truss rod, a case of a little knowledge is dangerous, the adjusting nut was stripped, so the likely thought process was it has bottomed out, just add a washer to bring it away from the bottom of the screw. the photo is my avatar, shows the second fret, and the crack. don't have much to lose, did not pay much, and received some staggered tuners with it. been a woodworker for 40 years, the problem as I see it, how to get the glue joint to let go. I use heat and steam for lots of joints, taken off a few bridges that way, beats jamming a chisel up it's butt!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’ve done a similar repair... there is a photo essay on my Facebook page in the album called “Truss Rod Repair - Vintage Fender Precision Bass”.

Maybe this link will get you there... Radlin Guitars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Ok so you're saying cracked fretboard. I had a similar crack once, and my luthier did some light sanding, mixed the shavings with something (hide glue maybe?), and used it to fill the crack. I would think that kind of process would be much safer than cutting those frets out of the board. I'm sorry I don't have any more knowledge than that about it. I suppose I could put you in touch with the guy that did the work.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Ok so you're saying cracked fretboard. I had a similar crack once, and my luthier did some light sanding, mixed the shavings with something (hide glue maybe?), and used it to fill the crack. I would think that kind of process would be much safer than cutting those frets out of the board. I'm sorry I don't have any more knowledge than that about it. I suppose I could put you in touch with the guy that did the work.
I think the OP is thinking about getting under the fretboard to get access to the washer,at least that's how it comes across to me.
For myself that approach seems too invasive.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
^This.

teh alternative is to grab a scrap pc of rosewood from somewhere (e.g. local luthier). I did that once for an ebony board.

Another time, when it was a humidity (or lack thereof) crack, simply oiling the board sealed it up - been stable since (5+ years) - can't even tell where the crack used to be (honestly don't recall; midneck)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts