The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
They used to teach geography in school. I guess these folks took metal-shop instead.
crown corp full of government employees, I would say this is as good as we can expect. I'm surprised it didn't go further west before turning around

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
I've certainly seen my share of crazy delivery routes. Hopefully you'll get your stuff soon!

I do want to jump in defense a little bit of Canada Post though, before we all go too crazy dumping on them... Remember, you only ever hear about the times when things go wrong. 99.9% of the time, CP is hands down the absolute best game in town. Most reliable service, most service centers, and best possible value for your money. We ship many thousands of parcels a year via CP with only a small handful of problems per year (less 0.1% of total orders). Real issues with parcels being damaged, delayed unnecessarily, or lost are actually extremely rare.

We've had FAR more problems with other carriers, almost always with products being imported from the US.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I've certainly seen my share of crazy delivery routes. Hopefully you'll get your stuff soon!

I do want to jump in defense a little bit of Canada Post though, before we all go too crazy dumping on them... Remember, you only ever hear about the times when things go wrong. 99.9% of the time, CP is hands down the absolute best game in town. Most reliable service, most service centers, and best possible value for your money. We ship many thousands of parcels a year via CP with only a small handful of problems per year (less 0.1% of total orders). Real issues with parcels being damaged, delayed unnecessarily, or lost are actually extremely rare.

We've had FAR more problems with other carriers, almost always with products being imported from the US.
I can attest to this. I've shipped a lot of stuff with Canada Post and have only had a couple of minor issues, ever.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Same here, we use CP almost exclusively at work and they are great. UPS and FedEx on the other hand- pure suck.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
The Stew Mac package never actually goes to Sweden-it is some service they use to facilitate Customs clearance in Canada.

As far as Canada Post goes, you mail a parcel from Ottawa, it automatically goes to Montreal to be forwarded to the destination.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
I ordered a pickup from a guy in Peekskill NY about a 2 hr drive to NYC. It took a week to go from Peekskill to JFK airport.Then it took 2 days from JFK to Montreal.

Once it landed in Montreal I got it the next day

·
Premium Member
17,190 Posts
Man, what? Hope it arrives soon!

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
I regularly order parts from electronics distributor Tayda Electronics in Thailand. When they take a long time, I see the postmark is from Germany. I gather Germany has international parcel-post rates for packages of a given size or weight that compare quite favorably with Thailand and Singapore. So I gather what happens is that the company sends a crate to Germany, where someone splits it up into individual orders and mails them out from there. The deal between countries is that international postage rates have to be honoured. So, in principle, if Canada wants to charge $20 to send something from London to Kitchener, but country X only charges 20 cents, Canada Post is going to have to get the package sent from country X from Pearson airport, truck it to the distribution center, and deliver it to the person in Kitchener, without adding any charges to either sender or recipient.

There was an incident about 20-some years back when folks who subscribed to Canadian Geographic were surprised to see their issues being mailed to them from Colombia. Apparently, international postage rates were so much cheaper than within-Canada rates, that Canadian Geographic saved money by sending a crate of mags down there by boat, and mailing them back to Canada from Colombia.

Of course, that does not explain the "western adventure" Ti-Ron's parcel took. :D

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my parcel today!

I am not bashing CP, it is probably the best of the bunch, at least in my experience but those little trips are weird to say the least!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well there is a bunch of elements here...
Inside Canada, I do not remember having any problem with Canada Post.
Human mistake of a digit on a zip code could happen...
Before talking about USA locations, I want to say I many times got better deals from UK and postage fees are even much lower than inside Canada for things like DVDs or music books and I usually get my packages within two to three weeks !
From USA, delays are regularly exceeding four to six weeks. But this may be particular to Quebec : some US sellers I contacted through eBay refused to ship to Quebec because the delays caused them bad scores. It seems custom officers would cause the delay... But some packages from New England did arrive faster !
From China... two months... but I heard some packages could in fact lye nearby because they would stock some overseas in advance...

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
And that's why shipping price are increasing!!!
I've ordered iPhones directly from Apple a couple of times; they take quite a journey as I track them on UPS.

China: 2-3 cities
Korea: 1-2 cities
Anchorage, Alaska
Mainland USA: 2-3 cities
Hamilton (near Toronto)
Concord (in Vaughan, a city just north of Toronto)
Finally onto a truck for delivery to me

However badly we think of UPS they do route efficiency carefully. They're the people who invented avoiding left turns when routing trucks - they'll occasionally do four right turns to avoid a left turn - which they've proven saves them tens of millions of dollars per year. I'd guess that the seemingly-inexplicable globe-hopping of a new iPhone makes sense too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts