The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

301 - 320 of 393 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
Yeah, I think they decided on 6 feet because anymore is too difficult to manage; so it’s a better than nothing situation.
Six feet is not enough for me, but if I'm wearing a mask, six feet is as you say, better than nothing, much better IMO.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
It took the better part of 2 years, maybe a bit more, for the Spanish flu to run it's course. That isn't really compatible with today's "instant gratification" attitude. Some folks have been having trouble comprehending the time and we are just barely through 1/4 of that time frame. History not being learned from and thus repeated.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The people I see not wearing masks are the elderly and foreign people.
That's curious... I believe we live in roughly the same area and I see almost NOBODY without a mask. ** In a triangle with points at Barrie, Newmarket and Orangeville and including occasional visits to Hamilton.

** The exceptions are almost entirely among the people serving me in places selling groceries, pharmacy products, hardware, and a few others. They're all ages, from young to old. Apparently the large clear shields they're usually behind are protection enough for me and them.

Apparently.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
That's curious... I believe we live in roughly the same area and I see almost NOBODY without a mask. ** In a triangle with points at Barrie, Newmarket and Orangeville and including occasional visits to Hamilton.

** The exceptions are almost entirely among the people serving me in places selling groceries, pharmacy products, hardware, and a few others. They're all ages, from young to old. Apparently the large clear shields they're usually behind are protection enough for me and them.

Apparently.
Orangeville actually has its own bylaw now. But ya, I haven't seen a person indoors without a mask in awhile. And a lot of places have moved away from the shields as well to regular masks. I've definitely seen people with them not covering their nose, but I've had to give up being frustrated over that one.

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
I get just as tired of saying this as you folks probably are of hearing it, but much of the misery in the world begins with "But I was just gonna...".

N95 masks are for preventing intake of pathogens, and "non-medical" masks are for preventing/reducing output of pathogens (especially among those who are carriers but presently asymptomatic). Those who either outright reject, or are perhaps merely slack about, masking up do not perceive themselves as potential sources of pathogens. I suspect that, unless there were dire implications for income or job security, the vast majority would not likely go to work during normal times if they were hacking up phlegm and "blowing green", because they know they are contagious. But in the case of this virus, one of the few things we know about it is that people can be spreaders even if they "feel fine".

Of course, we also know that people get resentful when they feel they are being tacitly blamed for something they weren't deliberately intending to do. It's why folks balk at the term "systemic racism" ("I'm NOT a racist!") or systemic anything else (ageism, sexism, religious/linguistic prejudice, etc.). It's why people get their knickers in a knot when ALL employees have to go for some sort of training related to better treatment of co-workers, whether it be sensitvity about disabilities or harassment, or whatnot. They get angry when they feel like they are being blamed/accused, even though everyone is expected to attend precisely so that no one in particular is being singled out. Mask policies are not because anyone thinks that YOU, in particular, are the contagious one. It's because nobody knows who is and isn't contagious, so the most congenial and team-oriented thing to do is for everybody to mask up so that nobody has to wonder "if it was you".

There are so many ways in which the collectivist vs individualist nature of society works its "magic". Asian cultures have been more collectivist in orientation, and it has worked to their benefit, for now. Good on Orangeville for being smart and careful.

And I don't know what the heck to say about Quebec, except bon chance.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I get just as tired of saying this as you folks probably are of hearing it, but much of the misery in the world begins with "But I was just gonna...".

N95 masks are for preventing intake of pathogens, and "non-medical" masks are for preventing/reducing output of pathogens (especially among those who are carriers but presently asymptomatic). Those who either outright reject, or are perhaps merely slack about, masking up do not perceive themselves as potential sources of pathogens. I suspect that, unless there were dire implications for income or job security, the vast majority would not likely go to work during normal times if they were hacking up phlegm and "blowing green", because they know they are contagious. But in the case of this virus, one of the few things we know about it is that people can be spreaders even if they "feel fine".

Of course, we also know that people get resentful when they feel they are being tacitly blamed for something they weren't deliberately intending to do. It's why folks balk at the term "systemic racism" ("I'm NOT a racist!") or systemic anything else (ageism, sexism, religious/linguistic prejudice, etc.). It's why people get their knickers in a knot when ALL employees have to go for some sort of training related to better treatment of co-workers, whether it be sensitvity about disabilities or harassment, or whatnot. They get angry when they feel like they are being blamed/accused, even though everyone is expected to attend precisely so that no one in particular is being singled out. Mask policies are not because anyone thinks that YOU, in particular, are the contagious one. It's because nobody knows who is and isn't contagious, so the most congenial and team-oriented thing to do is for everybody to mask up so that nobody has to wonder "if it was you".

There are so many ways in which the collectivist vs individualist nature of society works its "magic". Asian cultures have been more collectivist in orientation, and it has worked to their benefit, for now. Good on Orangeville for being smart and careful.

And I don't know what the heck to say about Quebec, except bon chance.
I don't think anyone here has any misunderstanding about what you are saying. Unless there are some crazy rants going on in the politics forum, people in this thread are pretty on board with masks and understand what they do or don't do. But we can still talk about what we see outside of the forum. It doesn't really need repeated over and over again to anyone in this thread though.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Well here in BC we are flattening our curve again and the hospital numbers are going down ( thank goodness ) almost everyone here wear masks and some of us who can't well I explain to them my medical conditions and they seem to understand which is great for me.
And today I diod the good thing and got my flu shot today and it hurts like crazy but can't imagine how much the flu would hurt instead.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Masks are about risk reduction, not outright prevention, even in hospital situations. Better masks, lower risk. More people wearing masks, lower risk. Staying home completely, much lower risk... etc. Nearly everything I've been doing for 6 months months now has been countered with the thought of "does this increase my risk to covid?"
I've still managed to buy a guitar, a cabinet, 2 keyboards, sell drums, repair my deck, fix my car..... wearing a mask.

Anyway. Was at an antique store in August and the guy running the place had a mask on but was breathing through a hole in his neck.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Well here in BC we are flattening our curve again and the hospital numbers are going down ( thank goodness ) almost everyone here wear masks and some of us who can't well I explain to them my medical conditions and they seem to understand which is great for me.
And today I diod the good thing and got my flu shot today and it hurts like crazy but can't imagine how much the flu would hurt instead.
You'll get no issue from me. The percentage of people I see not wearing a mask is minor - to the point where it can't be an issue if you think along the lines of herd immunity - it becomes a real longshot that the virus can be spread that way.

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
It's not a hardship to be considerate and careful. And if it IS a hardship, then I think we have bigger problems than a mere virus.

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
Nah, just a little self-conscious. I didn't take any offense, so don't sweat it. :).
If there's any exasperation on my part, it's not that I have to keep saying it; it's that people keep giving me a reason. I'm a very forgiving person, but even forgiveness can be exhausting sometimes. ;)

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
It's not a hardship to be considerate and careful. And if it IS a hardship, then I think we have bigger problems than a mere virus.
Wearing a mask can be a big physical hardship at times and the reasons why are bigger problems than the virus.

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
That's true. It's just not true for people partying, and being obstinate while they are shopping. That said, it's a big ol' weird and complicated world with all manner of obscure and bizarre quirks that nobody anticipates. Sure as I'm typing this, someone out there has a circumstance not visible to the naked eye that precludes safely wearing a mask.

Me, I still don't understand why we still allow, and even require, neckties. Just when did someone in charge declare that men should have to strangle themselves in order to look "proper" and respectable? Making them colourful or gimmicky doesn't make them any less uncomfortable and restrictive. Ban neckties and then we'll talk face masks.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
That's true. It's just not true for people partying, and being obstinate while they are shopping. That said, it's a big ol' weird and complicated world with all manner of obscure and bizarre quirks that nobody anticipates. Sure as I'm typing this, someone out there has a circumstance not visible to the naked eye that precludes safely wearing a mask.

Me, I still don't understand why we still allow, and even require, neckties. Just when did someone in charge declare that men should have to strangle themselves in order to look "proper" and respectable? Making them colourful or gimmicky doesn't make them any less uncomfortable and restrictive. Ban neckties and then we'll talk face masks.
Someone wearing a necktie is getting in your face and it's real easy to grab that neck tie and pull and twist. That being said the last necktie I had was big and bright and had a nude Hula Dancer on it.....had the shirt that matched too. Used to wear it on occasion at the bar during the motorcycle drags in Ashcroft. They were gifts from friends who rode up from Coombs. The tie was a clip on. The only tie I ever wore since the 50's when we had to wear them to church.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts

When was the last time you wore a necktie? :unsure:

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
I think it may have been when we celebrated our 25th anniversary and had a renewal of vows, in 2006. There might have been a funeral or two between then and now, but I don't recall.

301 - 320 of 393 Posts