The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove out to Manotick last night. Went past two soccer fields jammed packed with kids and parents. Parents were all congregating together as were the kids on the field. Not a single mask in sight. Must have been two hundred people between both fields. Waiting for the spike in two weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Unless we get a vaccine soon, this is not going to get better soon.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Is back east fining these fools we have had several individuals ( $2300.00 and $300 in Victoria ) fined and a few business's.
We have seen an increase in covid patients from large gatherings and the average age has been around 20-39 ( 57% ) of new covid illness's and of course some of these fine young idiots have passed it on to older family members ( stupid fuck heads ).
Just found out also those who are organ donors cannot donate if they have covid. So if I die that means they are killing 2 others beside myself ( my kidneys have been rendered useless and my eye parts well they are a no go also so 8 folks can't get parts they could use to see better ).
Consequences that the younger ones don't give a rats ass about seems to me and as for the parents who's kids are playing soccer with others. I pray that they DO NOT have underling medical conditions that are undiagnosed as we have seen that kids can pass from this bug.
We are also experiencing a very large death rate of drug over doses on average the last 4 months 170 each month.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
It is disheartening when people don't abide by the guidelines for containing the disease, but I would caution against judging how far people are apart when driving past. I am on the trails committee for our township and the users of our skate park/pump track have been largely very good at maintaining proper distance and it has been monitored fairly closely by township staff, but the township is always getting calls from people driving by complaining about "those kids". One generally doesn't have great judgement of distance when driving by at 60 km/h looking at something 200 metres away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Waiting for the spike in two weeks.
the state of Florida had just under 9000 new covid cases among kids within the first 2 weeks after school classes began. All of them are spreading to parents and grandparents. The start of cooler fall weather here and the school year is gonna be interesting after Labour Day. I hope it doesn't happen but I can see them bailing out on face to face school some time between Thanksgiving and Halloween. The high school my kids go to is planning school alternate days two days one week three the next. All through the summer we thought we were protected by some sort of magical rural prairies common sense but Manitoba now has the highest per capita rate in the country with most of it in rural areas. So much for us smug country know it all
j

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is disheartening when people don't abide by the guidelines for containing the disease, but I would caution against judging how far people are apart when driving past. I am on the trails committee for our township and the users of our skate park/pump track have been largely very good at maintaining proper distance and it has been monitored fairly closely by township staff, but the township is always getting calls from people driving by complaining about "those kids". One generally doesn't have great judgement of distance when driving by at 60 km/h looking at something 200 metres away.
I'm sure there's truth to this but a group of kids from one side were all huddled around a coach saying something to them. The parents were for the most part, seated. The second field was beside a stop sign so I had a chance to spend some time watching them.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I'm sure there's truth to this but a group of kids from one side were all huddled around a coach saying something to them. The parents were for the most part, seated. The second field was beside a stop sign so I had a chance to spend some time watching them.
The idea of team sports taking place right now makes my skin crawl.

I can't see this leading to anything other than more infections.

I'm surprised at how important sports must be for some that they are willing to risk the health and safety of their families, particularly the aged or those with underlying health problems.

Eff them eh? We want our sports and parties!!!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
the state of Florida had just under 9000 new covid cases among kids within the first 2 weeks after school classes began. All of them are spreading to parents and grandparents. The start of cooler fall weather here and the school year is gonna be interesting after Labour Day. I hope it doesn't happen but I can see them bailing out on face to face school some time between Thanksgiving and Halloween. The high school my kids go to is planning school alternate days two days one week three the next. All through the summer we thought we were protected by some sort of magical rural prairies common sense but Manitoba now has the highest per capita rate in the country with most of it in rural areas. So much for us smug country know it all
j
The other thing is on top of the spread, that while kids generally aren't as symptomatic, you get enough of them getting this and the numbers will go up as far as serious cases or deaths even with them.

And it all comes back to the information the media never seems to focus on... 'recovery' for a lot of people has been awful, and there are people who will have life long issues. I wish they would focus on this part of the issue more, it might make some people think a bit more.

Edit: I know more than one person who got it, I'm just passing on a story of one person. I friends work had a small outbreak, several people were symptomatic.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Unless we get a vaccine soon, this is not going to get better soon.

I now know of 3 people who have commited suicide due to economic devastation from Covid restrictions. I know of a death of one person from being unable to get medical attention in due time due to Covid. Earlier this week my grand daughter was suspected to have appendicitis but was unable to get in for an ultra sound for almost 2 days due to Covid . I don't know of a single person (personally) that has even been infected by Covid let alone died. As far as I'm concerned the measures we've taken were worse than the virus it self. I'm not saying we shouldn't take pre cautions. I'm one thats in a high risk category. I never stopped working once. I don't have a job that I can work from home. I probably have more of a risk of getting in to a bad car accident on the way to work then getting covid.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing that's never discussed around kids and their return to school is them bringing the virus back home. Kids bring all sorts of diseases back with them from school. This will be even worse. If we enforced the provincial and federal guidelines, they'd have to quarantine for 14 days!

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I now know of 3 people who have commited suicide due to economic devastation from Covid restrictions. I know of a death of one person from being unable to get medical attention in due time due to Covid. Earlier this week my grand daughter was suspected to have appendicitis but was unable to get in for an ultra sound for almost 2 days due to Covid . I don't know of a single person (personally) that has even been infected by Covid let alone died. As far as I'm concerned the measures we've taken were worse than the virus it self. I'm not saying we shouldn't take pre cautions. I'm one thats in a high risk category. I never stopped working once. I don't have a job that I can work from home. I probably have more of a risk of getting in to a bad car accident on the way to work then getting covid.
Nobody is denying that the isolation and other effects of this virus are hard on people, but laying on a hospital bed, gasping like a fish on a pier and nobody can even hold your hand while you die?

No thanks. I'll deal with whatever depression I have to and stay away from people.

And whether you know them personally or not, more than 9000 people have died from this in Canada and almost 180,000. in the USA.

It's very real.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is so untrue. I'm very sorry that you experienced what you did but Covid isn't an overblown myth. Here's some stats from the US compared against common arguments. The part at the end was uncalled for though.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
That is so untrue. I'm very sorry that you experienced what you did but Covid isn't an overblown myth. Here's some stats from the US compared against common arguments. The part at the end was uncalled for though.
View attachment 326134

I'm not arguing against implementing safety precautions against Covid. The over reaction of closing down the economy was about the stupidest thing that could have ever been done. As for stats on Covid deaths I think there about as worthless as political voting polls. There were many deaths reported as Covid that were not Covid related. I have no doubt that there was political motivation to sqew the numbers. Trudeau has shown quite well how corrupt he is.
I'm not anti mask but it seems that those who strongly advocate it are political in motivation and like the left has done so well, villainize those who don't agree with their views.
I have to laugh at those wearing masks driving in a car alone. Or standing outside at a bus stop all alone wearing their mask. Many wrongly think that the mask is protecting them when its supposed to protect others. Even that concept I have a hard time getting my head around.
And I have my doubts as to how effective these masks are. I was wearing a cloth non medical mask for a while that is supposedly not near as good as a medical mask. But the cloth mask was completely cutting off my airway and I couldn't breath. So I started wearing medical masks and I could actually breath through it. So how well is it keeping out a virus that is far smaller than the woven fibers of a medical mask. How much effectiveness at keeping it from letting any virus out. If the covid virus is so scarey then we should shut down every sport, every event the economy and we can all starve to death. Is the virus scarier than that?
I've got an aunt that is scared to death of Covid. She takes every single precaution to the extreme. Yet she's 280 pounds and shoves devil dogs and red meet down her gullet like no tomorrow. I personally think that many have a distorted perspective on how to handle this covid virus.
We probably have yet to feel the effects of the government actions due to the pandemic. All this free money handed out so frivolously is going to come back to bite us and the devastation from that will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Nobody closed down the economy.

We stopped doing things that could lead to a spike in cases.

Nobody likes this, but to deny the danger is just willful ignorance at this point.

Yes, wearing a mask alone in the car seems excessive to me. I don't do that, but I sure as hell put one on when I come close to anyone.

Meh, I know there are many people out there who feel like you do. That's one reason I'm staying as far away from others as I can.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not arguing against implementing safety precautions against Covid. The over reaction of closing down the economy was about the stupidest thing that could have ever been done. As for stats on Covid deaths I think there about as worthless as political voting polls. There were many deaths reported as Covid that were not Covid related. I have no doubt that there was political motivation to sqew the numbers. Trudeau has shown quite well how corrupt he is.
I'm not anti mask but it seems that those who strongly advocate it are political in motivation and like the left has done so well, villainize those who don't agree with their views.
I have to laugh at those wearing masks driving in a car alone. Or standing outside at a bus stop all alone wearing their mask. Many wrongly think that the mask is protecting them when its supposed to protect others. Even that concept I have a hard time getting my head around.
And I have my doubts as to how effective these masks are. I was wearing a cloth non medical mask for a while that is supposedly not near as good as a medical mask. But the cloth mask was completely cutting off my airway and I couldn't breath. So I started wearing medical masks and I could actually breath through it. So how well is it keeping out a virus that is far smaller than the woven fibers of a medical mask. How much effectiveness at keeping it from letting any virus out. If the covid virus is so scarey then we should shut down every sport, every event the economy and we can all starve to death. Is the virus scarier than that?
I've got an aunt that is scared to death of Covid. She takes every single precaution to the extreme. Yet she's 280 pounds and shoves devil dogs and red meet down her gullet like no tomorrow. I personally think that many have a distorted perspective on how to handle this covid virus.
We probably have yet to feel the effects of the government actions due to the pandemic. All this free money handed out so frivolously is going to come back to bite us and the devastation from that will last a long time.
Somewhere in the middle is the truth. I don't profess to know what that is and am glad I didn't have to make the decisions around the economy.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Nobody closed down the economy.

We stopped doing things that could lead to a spike in cases.

Nobody likes this, but to deny the danger is just willful ignorance at this point.

Yes, wearing a mask alone in the car seems excessive to me. I don't do that, but I sure as hell put one on when I come close to anyone.

Meh, I know there are many people out there who feel like you do. That's one reason I'm staying as far away from others as I can.
I always hear people bringing up the mask in cars issue. I run several errands while I am out. Masks are mandatory in all stores here. I leave the mask on until I am done because you aren't supposed to keep touching them. A lot of people do the same thing.

In reply to other posts, I do know someone who got Covid. She's been unable to return to work for months. The dr's figure she's could be on oxygen the rest of her life, though she would be counted as 'recovered'. The lingering issues can be awful and life changing. She is in her early 30's. So that is what I think about. The thing is, these are the numbers you aren't hearing.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
As for stats on Covid deaths I think there about as worthless as political voting polls. There were many deaths reported as Covid that were not Covid related.
Even if 1/2 are not Covid related (which it is not) that is still over 4500 deaths in Canada and over 60,000 cases, many with side effects, some for life. I don't think anyone would say that would be acceptable numbers.

I'm not anti mask but it seems that those who strongly advocate it are political in motivation
Public health safety discussion is a health issue, not a political one. Masks and social distancing are the best thing science has for recommendations right now.

I have to laugh at those wearing masks driving in a car alone. Or standing outside at a bus stop all alone wearing their mask.
I agree.

So how well is it keeping out a virus that is far smaller than the woven fibers
You don't, and that is not the point. The virus does not travel on it's own. It must attach itself to something like moisture, which the mask helps to stop. Limiting it's means of transportation is the point. If you stop the vehicle, you stop it moving.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
glad I didn't have to make the decisions around the economy
Me too, because I would have put a harder stop to it. Planes would have had manditory quarantine for all debarking passengers. The country would have been at a virtual stand still for about a month. Whole segments of the economy would be shut down until employees got tested.
In my mind, if we did a complete stop, as much as possible, and stop people from coming across the border any way they are getting here, isolate hot spots, within a month everyone infected would have been isolated and the virus would be stopped. I still think people coming off planes ought to be shepherded into isolation rooms for quarantine and testing, treated like a biohazard until proven otherwise.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts