The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
4741 - 4760 of 4793 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
We are desperately understaffed for health care here. Retirements have led us for the need of more doctors...we got 1. The Drs. here are working their hearts out as are nurses and other health care worker as they are so short staffed. The latest Dr. is one who grew up in the area and loves it because...well...it's north Ontario. It's beautiful up here. Right now it's -28C, feels like -40C with the wind chill. No slush anywhere...lol.

‘These guys have my back through anything’: Wawa MD says ‘super-focused’ colleagues crucial when community down 2 doctors

·
Premium Member
27,740 Posts
This issue long predates Covid. They could go to a walk-in clinic but going to hospital means they can then seek attention from people they know as they relate the story of having to go to the hospital.
I tried going to a walk-in clinic last year, for what eventually turned out to be a not-big-enough-to-require-surgery gallstone. There are two walk-in clinics within walking distance of our home. One was not accepting walk-ins, and the other accepted walk-ins but required early registration. When my slot came around, some 5-6 hours later, I was one of only two people in the building, the other one seeming to be a medical student. She sent me to the hospital, because it was outside of what she was authorized to examine. Again, we have a family doctor (as did the woman who came in for "a checkup") but the sharp and unusual pain began on a day when her office was closed.

Are there malingerers and attention-seekers out in the general populace? Sure. Always have been. But the current circumstances are siphoning anything and everything to hospital ERs, including those who might otherwise be told by a family doctor or walk-in clinic "It's nothing to worry about".

And that is part of what gets my dander up about those who are slack in their compliance with public health measures or dissuade others (intentionally or otherwise) from complying with them. It's an ER almost entirely of our own making.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,608 Posts
A person could walk into a clinic, ER or hospital and believe that they feel ill, spend a few hours in a virus/bacteria infested environment and walk out in worse shape in the following days because of the exposure. Grin and bear it, might work better for you.

·
Premium Member
15,216 Posts
My biggest gripe (and my doctor's) was when I'd be home sick from work and the company would demand a note.
Talk about wasting health care resources. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Interesting fact that some may not be aware of, (I may not be entirely up to date or cover all cases so this is a general statement), but if you are rostered with a primary care practitioner but you go to a walk-in clinic instead, your practitioner is charged back by to government for that visit. While there are legitimate reasons one may need to go to a walk-in (ie doctor's office is closed, vacation etc) do it too many times because it is more convenient and your family doctor may not want you as a patient anymore. The concept is that practices are paid an access bonus amount for each patient that covers extended hours etc so that people "should" be able to see their own doctor or one in the same practice rather than ER or walk-ins. It is supposed to encourage multi-doctor collaboration to cover extended clinic hours and additional services by sharing the load and provide more services like lab work, in one place.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
people "should" be able to see their own doctor or one in the same practice rather than ER or walk-ins.
That would entail a 12 hour drive for me, one way. So, minimum of a 3 day excursion, more likely 4 days. That's some serious accommodation costs. No doctors in the area taking new patients so I have to stay with what I had down south so I have someone to renew my prescriptions.

Admittedly, my situation is not the norm.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That would entail a 12 hour drive for me, one way. So, minimum of a 3 day excursion, more likely 4 days. That's some serious accommodation costs. No doctors in the area taking new patients so I have to stay with what I had down south so I have someone to renew my prescriptions.

Admittedly, my situation is not the norm.
As I said there are likely all kinds of legit reasons, such as yours to use a walk-in vs a family doctor, but I would say things like like because my doctor won't see me in the next hour so I'll just go to a walk-in instead isn't one. On the other side of the coin, it also is financial encouragement/penalty, depending, for practices to increase availability and services. I could see this as difficult for a single-doctor practice (maybe they are excluded?) and to have multi-doctor clinics now. While I see my own the few times I need to, I have seen another from the clinic on non-scheduled occasion because my doctor was away on vacation

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Costco N95 masks are cheap in store. Not the super duper best fitting mask, but way better than a 3 ply tissue mask.

Tip: I always straighten out the nose wire then form it to the bridge of my nose.
Curious, are they NIOSH approved N95 masks or the cheap ones made in China?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I wonder how differently this COVID thing would have played out, if China had initially disclosed it was a lab leak, the US and WHO hadn't tried to mislead everyone, and we all could have made more informed decisions instead of arguing over red herrings & conspiracy theories?

Probably China could have avoided the whole wet market backlash, which was a huge stigma, from what I recall?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
CRISPR home kits could become a problem.
Bio hacking for you and the whole family....that's right even the kids can play. Not exactly brain electrode implant surgery by DARPA or PLA experiments in covert cellular encryption in bio-terrorism, but a normalizing step forward for the masses, to the murky future of the interface of humans and AI.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
to the murky future of the interface of humans and AI.
It's already happening. There are proceedures now to implant chips that improve memory (I have a bad one and I am just recalling this from a CBC news segment on the radio) for dimensia patients.

How far is it until those chips come with built in memories of what ever they want, up to and including a memory that we have always implanted chips into newborn babies? A far fetched theory for sure, but at one time so was manned flight, submarines, and going to the moon.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
It's already happening. There are proceedures now to implant chips that improve memory (I have a bad one and I am just recalling this from a CBC news segment on the radio) for dimensia patients.

How far is it until those chips come with built in memories of what ever they want, up to and including a memory that we have always implanted chips into newborn babies? A far fetched theory for sure, but at one time so was manned flight, submarines, and going to the moon.
I'll take a memory chip.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Curious, are they NIOSH approved N95 masks or the cheap ones made in China?
I checked and they don't have any NOISH approval, or any approval, and they say they are not for medical use. I think they are way way better than the 3 ply masks. But I will be on the lookout for a better quality mask. Costco was selling 20 N95's for about $8. Online they sell 20 3M masks for $55. That's a big difference. But I'm worth it...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

Indeed it is. That was the initial mission statement of the technology after it's development. However, as is often the case, it has gone through selective military protocols for, shall we say, less than positive outcomes for the regular human. And with the data collection points offered by the pandemic like voluntary DNA collections, and the physical movement of the individual by smart phone apps, I can see more than a few dark days ahead, if we don't get a handle on it.....cue the runaway train.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,966 Posts
I checked and they don't have any NOISH approval, or any approval, and they say they are not for medical use. I think they are way way better than the 3 ply masks. But I will be on the lookout for a better quality mask. Costco was selling 20 N95's for about $8. Online they sell 20 3M masks for $55. That's a big difference. But I'm worth it...
I ordered a box of the Vitacore N99’s last Sunday and they got here this morning from BC. They have two straps and are a really tight fit.

4741 - 4760 of 4793 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.