The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
4721 - 4740 of 4793 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Interesting data on the history of pandemics.
Visualizing the History of Pandemics
Green Plant Botany Product Organism

NameTime periodType / Pre-human hostDeath toll
Antonine Plague165-180Believed to be either smallpox or measles5M
Japanese smallpox epidemic735-737Variola major virus1M
Plague of Justinian541-542Yersinia pestis bacteria / Rats, fleas30-50M
Black Death1347-1351Yersinia pestis bacteria / Rats, fleas200M
New World Smallpox Outbreak1520 – onwardsVariola major virus56M
Great Plague of London1665Yersinia pestis bacteria / Rats, fleas100,000
Italian plague1629-1631Yersinia pestis bacteria / Rats, fleas1M
Cholera Pandemics 1-61817-1923V. cholerae bacteria1M+
Third Plague1885Yersinia pestis bacteria / Rats, fleas12M (China and India)
Yellow FeverLate 1800sVirus / Mosquitoes100,000-150,000 (U.S.)
Russian Flu1889-1890Believed to be H2N2 (avian origin)1M
Spanish Flu1918-1919H1N1 virus / Pigs40-50M
Asian Flu1957-1958H2N2 virus1.1M
Hong Kong Flu1968-1970H3N2 virus1M
HIV/AIDS1981-presentVirus / Chimpanzees25-35M
Swine Flu2009-2010H1N1 virus / Pigs200,000
SARS2002-2003Coronavirus / Bats, Civets770
Ebola2014-2016Ebolavirus / Wild animals11,000
MERS2015-PresentCoronavirus / Bats, camels850
COVID-192019-PresentCoronavirus – Unknown (possibly pangolins)5.4M (Johns Hopkins University estimate as of December 28, 2021)
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

"Some of the worst epidemics and pandemics in history have doomed whole civilizations and brought once powerful nations to their knees, killing millions. While these terrible disease outbreaks still threaten humanity, thanks to the advances in epidemiology we no longer face the same dire consequences as our ancestors once did.

Here are 20 of the worst epidemics and pandemics in history, dating from prehistoric to modern times."
https://www.livescience.com/worst-epidemics-and-pandemics-in-history.html

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
https://www.livescience.com/spanish-flu.html
"In 1918, a strain of influenza known as Spanish flu caused a global pandemic, spreading rapidly and killing indiscriminately. Young, old, sick and otherwise-healthy people all became infected, and at least 10% of patients died.

Estimates vary on the exact number of deaths caused by the disease, but it is thought to have infected a third of the world's population and killed at least 50 million people, making it the deadliest pandemic in modern history. Although at the time it gained the nickname "Spanish flu," it's unlikely that the virusoriginated in Spain."

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I wonder if the fact that someone cannot get treatment in this non-nation state for stage four cancer will resonate to any degree with the Muggles or will it just pass through the news cycle and be forgotten in a day or two.
This is why it is imperative that every Canadian get pissed off, loud and voice their opinion to the ones in charge of managing our health care system to once again ensure each citizen if getting the proper return on their investment.

Apply consistent perpetual pressure in large numbers to the vulnerable areas of politicians and high ranking health care officials,... hit them square in the erection election polls if they continue to fail you.

Don't ask,... demand they start working for you again,... the way it was originally intended to be.
Glasses Sleeve Beard Font Poster

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
USA Supreme court ruling stops Joe Biden and OSHA from implementing a vaccine mandate for businesses with 100 or more employees but rules on a mandate for healthcare workers.
Appears Joe Biden could not get a work around of the tenth amendment by using OSHA as an impetus.
Supreme Court Blocks Biden’s Virus Mandate for Large Employers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Costco N95 masks are cheap in store. Not the super duper best fitting mask, but way better than a 3 ply tissue mask.

Tip: I always straighten out the nose wire then form it to the bridge of my nose.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I've heard a few experts say that those plexi barriers may do more harm than good because they inhibit ventilation. Better to have a robust ventilation system to exchange air quickly.
There was a constant blast of air coming straight down on me. Hopefully it was coming out of a HEPA filter.

Reactions: zztomato

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I keep having little experiences that just hammer home how doomed we are if we're relying on common sense to help get this sort of thing under control.

Last Friday, I spent around 6 hours in the Emergency Room at the Ottawa General Hospital. It was completely un-COVID related and it was something I was hoping to ride out until a more opportune time. After a phone call with my doctor and an X-ray the next day, I talked to tele-health Ontario later in the week and at the end of the 20 minute consult, the recommendation was "don't eat or drink anything, lie down until you can see a doctor and it should be in the next 4 hours." The choices were my doctor (good luck at 4pm on a Friday), a walk-in (all the ones by me were doing phone calls), and as a last resort, the ER. I REALLY didn't want to go into an ER but it was the only option.

Just to re-cap the hospital experience for those curious to know how it is currently...
  • I spent about 2.5 hours in the main waiting area, about an hour in the private exam room waiting for the doctor, a 15 minute exam, and off to a mini waiting room (about 5 or 6 people sitting 6 feet apart) to await a blood draw and a CT scan.
  • I only spent maybe 5 minutes in there before they sent me off to radiology where there were only 3 other people for CT scans. I had my own waiting area. About 20 minutes and I was done.
  • Back to the mini waiting room where less than 5 minutes later, they bring me out to do the bloodwork. Now, I've never reacted to a needle, medical procedure, anything, in my life. Sometimes, when I go to the dentist, I don't even bother with the freezing if it's a short one. Well, the nurse goes to put an I.V. in and misses the mark. She was trying to push it in but it wasn't going. Bless her heart though, she just kept pushing it. Anyhow, told her I wasn't feeling too good so they brought over a stretcher and let me lie down. Said she'd come back and try again in a bit. They wheeled me around the corner to a nice, empty hallway where I chilled for about 30 or 40 minutes.
  • She comes back, takes my blood and says I can wait there or if I'm feeling better, go back to the waiting room. Screw that! I'm staying here in my private hallway.
  • Probably an hour later, doctor comes by to go over my results and I'm on my way home.

Now, the 3 things that had me shaking my head...
1) When you go in, there are 2 stops where they ask if you have any COVID symptoms. I believe there's a separate protocol if you do. Well one woman is in the main waiting area with at least 40 people. About every 10 minutes, she erupts into a horrific, hacking, coughing fit that lasts a good couple of minutes. Each time, she gets up, walks through the middle of the waiting room over to the drink machine to get a bottle of water, coughing the whole way there and back. Repeat every 10 minutes.

2) The area I was in had 20 chairs, each one with a plexi shield between them (see photo) with 9 on one side facing 11 on the other. I chose this section (1 of 4) because there were only about a half-dozen people in there, nicely spread out. At one point, there were 3 of us with the closest person sitting about 20 feet away. Some dude walks over and out of 17 empty seats, PLOPS DOWN RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! If the fucking shield weren't there, we would have been rubbing shoulders. I get up, move to the other side and about 3 chairs down. I said to the guy "Seriously? This side is pretty much empty and you sit in the chair 3 inches from mine?!?"
THEN... he opens his bag of McDonalds, pulls out his burger and fries, takes off his double masks (they give you a second one when you come into the ER), shoves both masks in his pocket and has a little picnic. For FUCKS sakes!!! I went and told the intake guy and they told him put on your masks or GTFO. He GTFO'd.

3) While in my "cubby", waiting for the doctor I could overhear the patient next door. I never saw her but I'd say she was an older woman in her 50s or 60s. I don't know what she said to get that far, but basically, there was nothing wrong in particular. As the doctor is questioning her, trying to figure out exactly why she's there, she mentions a couple minor things and how she was meaning to get in to see her doctor but could he just check her out? He flat out asks her "So you came to the ER for a check up?". She said yes. His reply was waaay more polite than I would have been.

With all the shit going on, the last place I wanted to be was the hospital and especially the ER. Not only because I was horrified at sitting in a room for hours with sick people, but also because the last thing the doctors need right now is more work. I both thanked and apologized to the doctors and nurses and told them that if I hadn't been expressly told "get to a doctor in the next 4 hours" and tried every other option, I wouldn't have come. They were super nice and helpful. I still can't get over some of the shit people are still doing though. There was other stuff too but these 3 stood out.

EDIT:Forgot the waiting room photo...
View attachment 397478
I've said it before - I wish we could get the same level of care for ourselves as we can get for our pets. I'd gladly pay the hundred bucks each visit.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Lol. You wouldn't want to be serviced by the vet I take my dog to. His greatest skill is taking my money.
I agree. I paid around $5000 over a period of 2 or 3 years with my vet dealing with a skin issue my dog had. Vet visits, analysis, antibiotics and skin creams etc. over and over. Turned out to be a peanut allergy that I found myself. No more peanuts in the house or in the bird feeders and she's been fine for 4 or 5 years now.

Now back on topic. Darn anti-vaxxers. 😷

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
Costco N95 masks are cheap in store. Not the super duper best fitting mask, but way better than a 3 ply tissue mask.

Tip: I always straighten out the nose wire then form it to the bridge of my nose.

Plenty of N95 masks available at Home Depot.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
3) While in my "cubby", waiting for the doctor I could overhear the patient next door. I never saw her but I'd say she was an older woman in her 50s or 60s. I don't know what she said to get that far, but basically, there was nothing wrong in particular. As the doctor is questioning her, trying to figure out exactly why she's there, she mentions a couple minor things and how she was meaning to get in to see her doctor but could he just check her out? He flat out asks her "So you came to the ER for a check up?". She said yes. His reply was waaay more polite than I would have been.

People like this infuriate me. You see them on the TV news every year during flu season. They go to the ER for the flu or a cold, then moan on the news that they waited eight hours. People like that should be charged a healthcare tax/fee/penalty because they are the root of many of the problems in our system.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,657 Posts
People like this infuriate me. You see them on the TV news every year during flu season. They go to the ER for the flu or a cold, then moan on the news that they waited eight hours. People like that should be charged a healthcare tax/fee/penalty because they are the root of many of the problems in our system.
Similar to a DoS in the cyber world.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
If they can charge you for the ambulance ride or for parking, I just don't see why an Emergency Fee of $25 or $50 would be so wrong.

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
I find them equally infuriating.

But that said, there are a large number of Canadians who cannot acquire a family doctor, and even walk-in clinics are not taking walk-ins. We have a family doctor, and my "checkups" for the last 2 years have been phone calls that rely on ME to spot and report emerging issues, not someone trained in spotting symptoms.

People who live alone, may have no one to offer an informal assessment of "It's nothing to worry about. Go to sleep earlier tonight and I'll do the dishes." or "Maybe you don't want to plug up the system right now". Are they annoying? You betcha. Any MORE annoying than the person two customers ahead of you trying to exert a price-match at the supermarket with a wrinkled flyer from 2 weeks ago? Not really. But certainly at the present time, more problematic.

Hats off to the doctor who handled it with aplomb. The biblical Job has much to learn from the patience of folks working in Emergency these days.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts

But that said, there are a large number of Canadians who cannot acquire a family doctor, and even walk-in clinics are not taking walk-ins. We have a family doctor, and my "checkups" for the last 2 years have been phone calls that rely on ME to spot and report emerging issues, not someone trained in spotting symptoms.

People who live alone, may have no one to offer an informal assessment of "It's nothing to worry about. Go to sleep earlier tonight and I'll do the dishes." or "Maybe you don't want to plug up the system right now". Are they annoying? You betcha. Any MORE annoying than the person two customers ahead of you trying to exert a price-match at the supermarket with a wrinkled flyer from 2 weeks ago? Not really. But certainly at the present time, more problematic.

Hats off to the doctor who handled it with aplomb. The biblical Job has much to learn from the patience of folks working in Emergency these days.
In this case, the woman mentioned her family doctor more than once but yes, there are those that go there because of a lack of options.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
If they can charge you for the ambulance ride or for parking, I just don't see why an Emergency Fee of $25 or $50 would be so wrong.
Agreed.

Granted that would mean that we would also have to listen to them whine about the fee when interviewed on the news, but at least the fuckers would have to pay.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts

This issue long predates Covid. They could go to a walk-in clinic but going to hospital means they can then seek attention from people they know as they relate the story of having to go to the hospital.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
The vaccination numbers here in Niagara this past week, if they are to be believed, are telling an interesting story. For the past 6 days they have delivered more first jabs TO ADULTS than 2nd jabs or to kids. I don't know if some of the "fence-sitters" have been prompted by the talk of mandates or if some are finally "getting around to it", but it's great to see.

4721 - 4740 of 4793 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.