The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2528 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
ie; Here's a bowl full of 100,000 M&M's, knowing that one or more of them may be poisoned. Would you still risk it and help yourself to them?
Not a fair analogy (in my opinion) because, as delicious as M&M's are, they are not something that can protect the vast majority if you personally eat just one. (and who can eat just one??). I see your point, but the idea of the vaccine is to get as many protected as possible, to then protect others. It's supposed to be perpetual. And the gains are supposed to outweigh the risks. From what I've read/seen/heard, they still do. (the AZ jab notwithstanding)

I am (relatively) healthy... and could most likely survive from COVID, but my dad couldn't. My mother in-law couldn't. I did it more for them than myself.

I was not first in line though. I waited to see if there was a Zombie Apocalypse.

I did not grow a third nipple.

The tail is pretty handy though!

·
Premium Member
26,638 Posts
Maybe many, including me, are not ready to risk being part of that small fraction?

ie; Here's a bowl full of 100,000 M&M's, knowing that one or more of them may be poisoned. Would you still risk it and help yourself to them?
Let me ask you, Do you take any medications, prescribed or over-the-counter? Do you eat any food that uses additives of any sort, whether to aid in production or preserve freshness? Do you know what their side-effect rate is? Do you know how much research has gone into them in order to get approval? Is it the same exhaustiveness that people are insisting on for these vaccines, simply because of internet rumour? You likely don't know, because these things feel "normal", so few, outside of the paranoid, would look into it.

Hell, do you consume any alcoholic beverages? Do you ever drive on a highway? Do you smoke? Do you like bacon or donuts?

I'm not accusing you of anything untoward or stupid. Human perception of risk is a bizarre thing, and is often assessed in isolation. Context-specific, rather than relative to other known sources of risk, and generally with respect to their mental "availability" (how easily a caution/fear-provoking example comes to mind). Prior to this pox, how many hundreds of thousands of airplanes took off and landed without incident on a daily basis? But if we have one crash in a year rubbed in our noses with repeated news footage shown and articles written, we immediately perceive air travel as unsafe. Some doofus gets shot in a locale where there are nightclubs, and even though it may have been the first and only for years, we stay away from that area because we feel it unsafe.

I think people ARE wise to be mindful of negative effects of any medication or treatment. And I certainly don't expect regular folks to comb the clinical literature before making any decisions. The error lies in not weighing costs and benefits, and in not comparing across sources of risk.

At this time, in this place, we know the odds are VERY good that a person will eventually be exposed to this rather nasty variant of this virus. Masking, distancing, and hand-washing will help, but pathogens can sometimes get past that. Would you rather your immune system have a head start in defending against that, or would you rather have it do a cold start from square one? Would you rather have a loaded weapon ready against an invader, or would you rather be busy figuring out how to assemble that weapon and shopping for ammunition? As I've indicated before, we know this variant replicates VERY fast. Fast enough that even a fully-vaccinated person can have a substantial viral load before their immune response kicks into high gear. That has been the basis for breakthrough infections. But because vaccinated persons have a stronger immune response, they only get a little sick and not hospitalized.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
But it IS working. It just isn't working as quickly, miraculously, flawlessly, and problem-free as we would like. Again, I'll note that Ottawa has a fully-vaccinated rate of 81% (of everyone 12 and older) and climbing. With a population larger than that of Saskatchewan or South Dakota, both of which have much lower vaccination rates, our hospitalization and ICU rates from Covid are in the single digits. Daily case counts have "climbed" from low single digits to 30s and 40s. The per/100,000 rate is a small fraction of what is seen elsewhere. We reported the first death in 2 months the other day.

A person, and a community, still has to work with the vaccine. Vaccines don't and can't replace other similarly-proven public health measures. As I've said here repeatedly, until the case counts are the same as what I'd be comfortable with if they were polio, tuberculosis, smallpox, measles, ebola, flesh-eating disease, and lots of other things that still exist, but are rare enough that there is no one to catch them from, I will be masking and distancing.

Even a border collie knows you can't move a herd by standing in one spot and barking at it. You move around and approach it from multiple sides. Some things require a multi-faceted, multi-dimensional strategy to change.
I like to look at my local numbers - I have a hard time thinking that the Niagara Region (and my friend who updates patient records) is part of the "World Conspiracy". This is what my local numbers tell me:

1. 12 patients are currently in our local hospital with Covid. All 12 are unvaccinated.
  2. Unvaccinated people are 8.4 times more likely to get Covid and/or pass it onward
  3. Unvaccinated people who catch Covid are 27 times more likely to require hospitalization
  4. Unvaccinated people who catch Covid are 42 times more likely to end up in ICU.
I have seen this data myself and confirmed the calculations from that data.

On the grand scale, over 5.5 billion people have been vaccinated and in a year have not sprouted wings or third eyes or had trouble going to the bathroom. People who still refuse to get vaccinated - whatever their excuse are just not gonna get vaccinated. Several people close to me refuse. Their complete lack of logic has me dumbfounded.

·
Registered
711 Posts
People who still refuse to get vaccinated - whatever their excuse are just not gonna get vaccinated. Several people close to me refuse. Their complete lack of logic has me dumbfounded.
Elise Gravel, a famous children's book author from Montreal I think has put a great, positive, spin on this. And given this some real context in terms of people now starting to identify with vaccination refusal. She says:

Vous refusiez le vaccin et ce refus fait maintenant partie de votre identité? Vous avez envie de changer d'idée mais vous avez peur de perdre la face? Moi, si vous le faites, je vais vous admirer, promis. Plus encore que j'admire ceux qui ont accepté le vaccin dès le départ.
Changer d'idée sur le vaccin, ce n'est pas une admission de défaite. C'est un processus difficile, surtout dans le contexte actuel. C'est fort, c'est courageux, c'est généreux. Merci.
❤

[Facebook auto translation, with my corrections]
You refused the vaccine and that refusal is now part of your identity? Feel like changing your mind but afraid of losing face? If you do, I will admire you, I promise. More so I admire those who accepted the vaccine from the start.
Changing your mind about the vaccine is not an admission of defeat. This is a difficult process especially in the current context. It's strong, it's brave, it's generous. Thank you.
❤

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
over 5.5 billion people have been vaccinated and in a year have not sprouted wings or third eyes or had trouble going to the bathroom.
It enlarged my organ and my wife's boobs are firmer and they seem larger too. Our sex drive has been increased and we're making out like we did in our 20's again.
see how easy it would have been to market this?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
yeah, but how qualified is this guy...

he's extremely pro-vax, rich as hell (doesn't want or need), and intuitively seems sincere...

Admittedly, I find this information really confusing.
I'd say he was better qualified than me. ;)

It's just that he was very positive about the vaccine initially and a lot of what he once said or believed has turned out to blunt his optimism. I haven't kept up to-date - does he accept the current results or does he not believe them? Being a scientist and not believing the emerging data would be pretty self-defeating.

·
Premium Member
26,638 Posts
I have too much to do to watch the full 57 minutes, but the few minutes I could tolerate were, in his words, "rubbish". He challenges the infectiousness of asymptomatic people, and challenges the official cause of death for a big share of cases.

As for his qualifications, by virtue of being former Pfizer VP, note that such positions are typically not held by practicing scientists but rather by good managers. Does his capacity to make lots of money for Pfizer shareholders on boner pills and drugs for non-communicable disorders make him a better virologist than Fauci? I doubt it. His message is certainly more palatable and desirable to a lot of people, but then that's not necessarily in their best interests.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I have too much to do to watch the full 57 minutes, but the few minutes I could tolerate were, in his words, "rubbish". He challenges the infectiousness of asymptomatic people, and challenges the official cause of death for a big share of cases.

As for his qualifications, by virtue of being former Pfizer VP, note that such positions are typically not held by practicing scientists but rather by good managers. Does his capacity to make lots of money for Pfizer shareholders on boner pills and drugs for non-communicable disorders make him a better virologist than Fauci? I doubt it. His message is certainly more palatable and desirable to a lot of people, but then that's not necessarily in their best interests.
It's been 10 years since he was at Pfizer. I really don't have a read on the guy - some describe him as an anti-vax hero yet what I read suggest he was quite pro-vax. Personally I don't think anything I've read of his beliefs has held any water with time so he's either a scientist that adjust his mind to emerging data or he's a crackpot. My brief reading tilts toward the latter.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
It's been 10 years since he was at Pfizer. I really don't have a read on the guy - some describe him as an anti-vax hero yet what I read suggest he was quite pro-vax. Personally I don't think anything I've read of his beliefs has held any water with time so he's either a scientist that adjust his mind to emerging data or he's a crackpot. My brief reading tilts toward the latter.
I think there was a recent podcast or something on NPR about him...the latter was their conclusion. His former coworkers describe his current comments as completely out of character for him.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I think there was a recent podcast or something on NPR about him...the latter was their conclusion. His former coworkers describe his current comments as completely out if character for him.
3% of Mankind is probably certifiable - and that includes a pretty good smattering of doctors, lawyers, professors, business owners, nurses, janitors, and politicians to boot.

·
Premium Member
26,638 Posts
Perhaps "former" VP says it all.
I wouldn't read too much into that, unless there are conspicuous reasons for his formerness. People leave high-paying jobs all the time...largely because when they pay high enough you don't need that stinking job anymore. ;) Nah, judge him on the basis of the foolishness of his arguments.

2281 - 2300 of 2528 Posts