The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Aretha Franklin is mostly know for her version or "respect"
this fact came to mind.
"Respect" is a song written and originally released by American recording artist Otis Redding in 1965.

Along the same path, I found this amazing video that really expands on this theme.
Some songs are a surprise.
G.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had just seen that video recently myself. I knew quite a few but not all. I would have never guessed that Tainted Love was a cover. Interesting story with her and Marc Bolan too.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
As far as 'more popular than the originals' from the OP, "Get Ready" by Rare Earth.
For many of those in the video, I think you would have to be a lot younger to not know they were covers.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from my Friends

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
CCR's "I Put A Spell On You"

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Bruce Cockburn/Bare Naked Ladies - Lovers in a dangerous time. Steven Page made it.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
NO...NO...NO...JUST TOTALLY NO!!!!!!
Yeah, the War version is easily more popular.

Route 66 is a good one, and covered by everybody - just about any version ya pick is more popular than the original, especially today.

I Fought the Law (incidentally, I won a radio call in prize for knowing the original was by the Bobby Fuller Four.... people kept on calling in saying Buddy Holly, so after about 15min I got fed up and called in myself and was surprised to actually win).

About the vid in the OP:

- Self Control is not popular at all in any version ;P
- The Bowie version of Man Who Sold the World is still more popular than the Nirvana version (had a resurgence because of it actually); if anything the Nirvana song that was more popular than the original was Love Buzz - it was a lower bar
- The Paragons/Blondie one reminded me of another good one: Man Next Door - The Massive Attack version is easily more popular than the original, also by John Holt and the Paragons, or even The Slits' version

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Maybe not a more popular cover, but definitely the most interesting...

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Again, maybe not more popular, but possibly better..

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Original - Sir Mack Rice

Cover - Wilson Pickett

1 - 20 of 39 Posts