1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5086.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
i picked up a fender cd140-sce for $80 bucks and over all very decent, minus the dirty fretboard and small crack in bridge by saddle. I glued and clamped it and it is fine now. But because the pickup wire goes under the saddle is it supposed to be a little looser? I never had one like this. Not sure which way the saddle goes back in.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
If there is an after market under the saddle pickup in the guitar, the bottom of the saddle should be sanded down by the depth of the pickup.

Hard to tell by your pic but the saddle should go in the same way you see it now facing you.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Re the saddle goes back in.

Usually you can see the marks on top of the saddle showing where the big/small strings were.

Sometimes they are filed to help with intonation so when you look at it the saddle will be filed at an angle so that the contact points for b and e are closer to the bridge.

However, I’m looking at my hd28v which is the best intonated guitar that I have and the saddle is the same width all the way across so it wouldn’t matter which end was up with that one.

If there’s no marks from where the strings were or the saddle isn’t filed for compensation and just the same width either way then it might not matter. If there’s nothing to go by then install it one way and check intonation; if need be flip it around and check if intonation is better or worse.

From the pic it looks like there is maybe a mark from the low e string on the right side.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Because there is a wire underneath the saddle, it seems wobbly instead of tight. Is that normal? Most other guitars the saddle is tighter in that slot. Thanks again for your knowledge and insight

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
My guess is that it shouldn’t be anymore loose than they usually are. Most of mine are not exactly a tight fit but they aren’t wobbling around either although on one or two of them the saddle will fall out if the guitar gets turned upside down with no strings. I would think that regardless of whether or not there is an under saddle pickup the same sort of fit principles would apply at manufacturing. Aftermarket saddle maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Some good tips here. Keep in mind that the saddle doesn't sit as far into the saddle slot due to the under saddle pickup so that may cause it to be a little loose.

Edit: I'm assuming the under saddle pickup was already installed in the guitar when it was purchased.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Gently pull out the pickup.measure the thickness and sand off this same amount from the bottom of the saddle.

Or

You can simply dispose of the pickup and use the saddle as is.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm wondering if bridges designed to have a peizo in them have deeper slots.
If this is an aftermarket pup, then router the slot accordingly for proper fit?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you for all the great info. I Took it in to a local shop and got a new saddle. Apparently someone filed the saddle thinner for some reason. I need to lower the new one, as it is quite high.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I knew the bridge had a small crack, but I can't fix it. I tried to glue and clamp, leave for 24 hours, but is still comes back. Where do you buy a new bridge?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
How bad is the crack and is it possible to just leave it alone. It might not get any worse if it’s settled.

Edit: if the crack is that small line near the low E end of the saddle I’d be inclined to leave well enough alone or maybe just fill it with glue and leave it.

If the low E end of the saddle has moved forward because of the crack and is effecting intonation you might be able to shim the front top end of the saddle back toward the rear of the slot.

Might be difficult to find a bridge to match that shape plus there’s lots of surface area holding that bridge on to the top so not likely to come flying off any time soon.

String it up when you get the new saddle sorted and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the crack is causing the the saddle to lean forward I tried gluing it, but due to the tension on the saddle from strings, the glue won't hold. I will try and shim it. Fender sells the same saddle for $17 US dollars plus shipping..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts