The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, band is trying to record our originals. Been taking wayyyyy to long, primarily due to learning to use various software.

Setup is a Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 AI (24 ch mixer), out to a computer. Our band member engy is using the provided Presonus 'Capture' software to record our takes.
Q1= he can't seem to figure out how to do punch ins. We were recording tracks for a 7 minute song today, I must have started out 12-14 times. I got within 15 seconds of the end, hit a clam, and have to start all over. If anyone is familiar with the software, is there a way to punch in? He has it partially figured out, the hangup is that you can't play along with the 'good' take because you get to hear either or, the prior take or your live playing, not both. I suggested cutting/pasting the prior take to another channel, but that's a no go also evidently.

Q2= for mixing etc, he's taking the tracks out of Capture, and putting them into a different software BECAUSE he/we can't figure out how to assign more than 2 channels out of the 24 channel mixer in any recording software (Audigy/Reaper/whatever). Seems to me would be easier entirely if we could just make a piece of industry standard type software like that recognize our 24 available channels, we know how to do punch ins in, for example, Reaper. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Q2a= another issue is we are using some dsp's in the Capture software, so we hear them all the time, live on takes and on playback. IF we can use another piece of recording software directly to the mixer, can we assign dsp's the same way (or *some* way)?

All this crap has us at each others throats. I've offered to pay for either studio time (shouldn't be necessary with the gear we have) or an engineer, but the band leader is bound and determined to DIY.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a little research - I'm doing this out of desparation, I'm not supposed to be any part of the engineering, the band leader and singer are both actually software guys for a living - looks like we should be able to assign the mixer channels in any/most DAWs using the i/o function on the DAWs channels.

Also, research indicates Capture does not allow for punch ins.

I conclude that our whole setup as currently configured is wrong for what we are trying to achieve. I had guessed and stated this months ago, but NOOOOOOOOOOO keto can't be right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re Q1: Are using all 24 tracks when you record? If not, you could just leave one (or two) available for clam replacements. Copy your settings to the spare track, play along until just after the clam or all the way to the end. Then you can mute the clam track in the right spot and un-mute the new one.

Sounds like the Q2's are sorted out which is good because I had no suggestions on those. Don't have a Presonus though I'd like one. A friend has one and has basic mixes memorized for every club in the Okanagan.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, BL is going to continue on the path we are already on. Of course. Says he has a workaround for punch ins. I can't wait.

It's a shame, we have 7-8 really good like REALLY good hard rock originals, that are not getting the full treatment I think they deserve. The recordings are going to be amateur level, when we have access to gear much better than our capabilities to manage properly.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sorry to hear that...a learning experience for sure...some people can't hear that they are wrong and need to find out the hard way...unfortunately, you're stuck in the midst...good luck
Share them though if they turn out good enough for you

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
All this crap has us at each others throats. I've offered to pay for either studio time (shouldn't be necessary with the gear we have) or an engineer, but the band leader is bound and determined to DIY.
You've offered to pay for it, and the leader is refusing? He's an idiot.

Recording with a multi-track DAW has a steep learning curve, and trying to learn stuff on the fly never works out well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts