The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Can I get some recommendations for a tool to countersink the holes on a plastic tele pickguard? I have a 5 hole guard, but want to add 3 more screw holes.
Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi guys,
Can I get some recommendations for a tool to countersink the holes on a plastic tele pickguard? I have a 5 hole guard, but want to add 3 more screw holes.
Thanks.
I would look for either a countersink or a V-bit for a router and carefully turn it by hand. pre-drill the holes first.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
There are 90*, 82* and 60*. Make sure you get 82

Reactions: fernieite

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Lee valley or busy bee is your best bet.
I’ve had poor luck with Home Depot/crappy tire countersinks.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
cordless drill is fine. Just go slow. I tried a few different countersinks and they all worked but some better than others. Just do not go too deep and the screw head covers it anyway.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
You could do it by hand if you are doing plastic.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
One thing to mention- is that I don't have a drill press and I'm a bit nervous about using my cordless drill.
Like others said, just go slow. Too fast with a countersink and you may melt plastic. Counter sinks remove very little material and are not aggressive like a drill bit.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
the best way is to the hold the c-sink with a stand alone drill chuck or a large pin vise. The chuck gives you some torque like a screwdriver handle. If you have a hand drill and the chuck spins freely, you can chuck up the c-sink and use your hand to spin it. A brand new c-sink is going to cut that plastic like a hot knife through butter.

Reactions: fernieite
L

·
0 Posts
I use the eggbeater with very little pressure and check after a few spins.
Pre-drill the screw hole first.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts