The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only found out an hour ago that all the major phone companies have a 10GB/$60 per month phone plan active ending today (Rogers) or tomorrow (Fido). None of the people I have on social media who work for these places posted about it, and the only reason I found out about it is because a bandmate posted about trying to get through to Telus.

If it was a one-day thing then OK, but it sounds like it started on the weekend. I have 2.5GB and have to be careful with my data in order not to go over. I'd love to save myself a lot of money (almost a tank of gas) and be able to leave my data on.

Since the Rogers deal is for existing customers and their MyRogers utility is down, I'll be popping by the store near work at lunch to see if I can't get *something* out of them.

Did anyone luck out and get in on this 10GB deal?

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure I understood the person correctly, but my understanding is that the 10GB/$60 deal will be honoured today due to the sheer volume kind of shutting things down yesterday.

Also, I've been told people at the store (at least for Rogers) can't do anything for you - gotta call to switch over.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
This was on the news last night and Bell advised people to stop by the Bell stores and they would honour it. They didn't mention other carriers so not sure what their doing. Good idea to stop by your carriers store though.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Well I'm looking at the Fido page now, and 10G is $115/month. 5G is $60/month and you get a 5G bonus. Typical misleading advertising bullshit from cell providers. Gawd I hate them.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Shaw Freedom Mobile has stirred up the market. Canada has some of the highest mobile charges in the world thanks to price fixing by the big carriers. Shaw has started selling a 10GB for $60 plan, which is still one of the highest prices in the world but much better than existing carriers in Canada. They put on a "special" to try to compete with Shaw's opening few days. Google and others are planning to start up in Canada but they have to deal with the CRTC so it may be a while. In the mean time if you mention you are thinking of switching to Shaw you will probably get the 10GB for $60 plan. Note Shaw is only in the major cities right now so if you're rural it may not work to say you are switching to Shaw.

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing is,he's limiting

Well I'm looking at the Fido page now, and 10G is $115/month. 5G is $60/month and you get a 5G bonus. Typical misleading advertising bullshit from cell providers. Gawd I hate them.
It said the sale goes until today. 5gb/$60 a month is syill waaay lower than I am paying for twice the data.

But $60/10gb goes to show the gouging we experience at the hands of these companies.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I am not sure I understood the person correctly, but my understanding is that the 10GB/$60 deal will be honoured today due to the sheer volume kind of shutting things down yesterday.

Also, I've been told people at the store (at least for Rogers) can't do anything for you - gotta call to switch over.
I took my wife to the kiosk at the mall last night and signed up to Rogers as we had an Iphone 6 locked to Rogers laying around. My wife was on with Telus and had an iphone 5s that was on month to month. The guy at the kiosk took close to 2 hours to get through and get the phone active. However the porting of the number has still not activated and we're sitting here with 2 phones active. The newer Rogers phone is working on a temporary number.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It was all over facebook a few days ago. Some people got it, others spent 3/4 hours on hold before being disconnected. It's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
One of my wife's co-workers has spent the better part of two days dealing with this.
He couldn't get through to Telus after waiting 3 hours so he called Rogers, spent another couple of hours on the phone, signed up with them and now still has to deal with Telus to get his phone unlocked before he can use the service.
All of this so he can upgrade when his family uses maybe 2-3g monthly currently by his own admission.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I was on hold for an hour today and got this deal. I was paying $75 a month with a corporate discount for 4GB so $60 for 10GB seems like a good deal.

The downside is if I want to stay on this deal and get a new phone I will have to pay full price for a phone. ie a new S7 today is $800.

Hopefully the money I save on the plan will offset that.

The alternative was to pay $85 a month for 10gb and be on the standard two year plan and be able to get free phones.

Also I get about $70 a month from work for my phone so I will be saving money there as well.

·
Yo.
1,173 Posts
It's a good deal, but certainly not the best one out there if you don't need the 10GB data/month. If you wait, perhaps Public Mobile (Telus) will have their $120 per 3 months, 12GB (over the three month span) plans available again. And if you choose to autopay, they deduct $2 per month. Refer a friend, and they deduct an extra $2 per month. I'm currently sitting at pretty much $36/mo, 4GB/mo right now.

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My new issue is i need to buy out my phone to end my current term and i dont know how much that is. I do know that im overpaying a lot though. Should have 5 or 6 gb for what im being charged.

Didnt get to talk to them today and my pw reset email never showed up.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Geez...I'm pretty happy with my 1g for 40. plan from Virgin. But I don't use my phone as a replacement for my 50"plasma tv.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What's a cell phone? Just kidding - never had one or needed one my whole life but in the future who knows, the wife pays the phone bill so I pay $0 now and I like that. Back to the topic at hand, I just finished reading that shaw has entered the arena with 10G/$50 - may be worth checking?

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part of the problem is that now general usage that used to be 1GB takes up 2. I'm not the only one who's noticed this either. I'm not sure what extra background data companies have put into their software, but I use more data for the same amount of e-usage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts