The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, maybe someone can help me out on this...I have someone who wants a soundboard replaced on an old Martin D35... Can someone give me a ballpark figure on what to charge for this work...I'm guessing $500 +...Your thoughts...

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
How many hours labour do you estimate it will take?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many hours labour do you estimate it will take?
I am guessing a weeks work there, from neck removal to finish and setup...maybe more.....I try and keep my prices within reason for my work....I would rather charge less and get the work I love doing rather than charge more and have less work ....My estimate works out to around $800-$1000 but i feel that to high...I was hoping that someone had a ballpark figure for a job such as this.....Tks Larry

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I am guessing a weeks work there, from neck removal to finish and setup...maybe more.....I try and keep my prices within reason for my work....I would rather charge less and get the work I love doing rather than charge more and have less work ....My estimate works out to around $800-$1000 but i feel that to high...I was hoping that someone had a ballpark figure for a job such as this.....Tks Larry
I work for myself and have done so for about 25 years. One of the problems I have found with self-employed people is they often undervalue their work. I have been guilty of that from time to time but it's too late once you give someone the price. We all want the work. That is understandable. Here is my thought on your estimate. At $800.00/40 hours=$20.00/hour. That seems to me, very cheap for a craftsman that is going to restore a $3500.00 guitar. Many people would be glad to make $20.00 an hour but you likely have some supplies to purchase, tools, heat, hydro, etc., etc. Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't do it for any less than $1200.00 but that is me. We each have to decide for ourselves.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I work for myself and have done so for about 25 years. One of the problems I have found with self-employed people is they often undervalue their work. I have been guilty of that from time to time but it's too late once you give someone the price. We all want the work. That is understandable. Here is my thought on your estimate. At $800.00/40 hours=$20.00/hour. That seems to me, very cheap for a craftsman that is going to restore a $3500.00 guitar. Many people would be glad to make $20.00 an hour but you likely have some supplies to purchase, tools, heat, hydro, etc., etc. Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't do it for any less than $1200.00 but that is me. We each have to decide for ourselves.
There's a lot of truth to this. It's tough to qoute what you're worth when you don't have much on your plate, and if your competition is hungry. There's also what the market will bear. If I know the job is worth 1500 but will not sell for more than a grand, I weigh it out and determine how much do I need the job at that time.

·
Premium Member
18,619 Posts
Long and Mcquade charge $600 for just a neck reset on a Martin, so I think $100o would be low for sure.
In my post above, I was using the cost of a neck reset as my only (real/comparable?) reference to to the cost of an expensive guitar repair.

With the quality of workmanship and attention to detail you appear to have, I would (also) say hat $1000.00 would be a minimum to charge.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Not a job I would attempt myself but there is some info needed.

Is it just the top needs replacing? How are the braces? the bridge? binding, glue blocks, rosette? Of course, photo's make it easier, having it in hand to inspect would be best.
What year is the guitar? Old ones are nice, but an old one (and even a newer one) will be a different instrument with a new top.
$1000 would be a good deal I think, and it would take way more than a week (it may take a week just to carefully take it apart and clean everything up, noting that you would not be putting in the full work day on it exclusively). It would have to be done in stages, waiting for glue to dry in between. Be prepared for unexpected damage to show up when it gets taken apart.

Now, I may be out on some of my assumptions, I admit to my lack of knowledge, which is why I would not take on the job myself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Meet with the owner today...Settled on $800 plus materials...I'm happy with that...Tks everyone for your comments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts