The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

First post so hope this is the right spot. Looking for opinions on cracks on a Washburn 35 hb. It's across the neck where the strap button is. I don't know much about guitars but thinking it's just cosmetic? Any thoughts? It's a hollow body with a centre block if that matters.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
From what I can see from the pic, Dan, it looks like tape marks during painting. Do you have some different angles you can post?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Looks to me like stress cracks ,not one continuous crack anyway.
Could just be along the joint where the neck heel meets the back of the body,it almost looks like it could be under the finish.
Is the neck stable ?

^beat me

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not my guitar yet. Was thinking of doing a trade for it. There is another short arcing crack extending from the ones in the pic to the side of the body. Doesn't head towards the fretboard. Tuning doesn't seem an issue and plays fine. Just worried if done the road this will be a real issue. It certainly is not a single crack but rather several smaller ones. Almost wonder if the strap button was crank d too tight or something.

·
Premium Member
18,334 Posts
If your gut says no, don't do the trade - even if it is a finish crack.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it. Strap button screwed right in the joint is not the greatest of ideas. Even if it is only a finish crack, the fact that it is right over the heel joint is fishy to me.

Price would have to be REAL good for me to buy it. But that's me.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
it could be evidence that someone once stole that guitar, one piece at a time, and replaced each of them with an exact replica. it's very mysterious.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Isn't it usually like close to the joint, but not right in the joint ?
yeah usually that I've noticed,
I don't think it would really matter structurally though,the screw is still going through the back,into the heel of the neck under the top in both cases .
The hole would be near the end of the production process,they could even be hand drilled for that matter.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
That's the neck joint, isn't it? I'd perhaps suspect it is just seasonal movenement in the wood and the joint is moving a bit dir to humidity changes.
This sounds the most likely.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wood is more foregiving than the finish. It wouldn't bother me much if it were mine and the fault has proven to be stable over time. A purchase like that would be scary unless it was a good deal..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts