The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...seems pretty basic, but i'm curious about what other players have learned and experienced.

i use a stretch and tune method - stretch and tune over and over until everything seems to be stable. with my whammy equipped guitars, i stretch the strings with my fingers and aggressively work the whammy bar, then tune each string, back and forth until the tuning appears to be stable.

however, i rarely see other guitarists go to such lengths to tune up.

which makes me wonder if i am going to extremes, or if there are "tricks of the trade" of which i am unaware.

-dh

·
Registered
874 Posts
Even though I always use hardtail guitars I follow the same routine, Stretch and tune until it is stable. Over the years I have gotten very agressive with the stretching so it does't take too long now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Stretch and tune here as well. Just a few minutes of bending the string pretty hard at the 12th fret result in a lot less retuning over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What really drives me crazy is people that don't stretch their strings, claiming that they never need to. Inevitably they break a string, replace it and then their guitar is out of tune 1/4 of the way through the next song. Argh. Just stretch the damn thing! Haha.

·
Registered
597 Posts
1). Restring the guitar, tune roughly to pitch
2). Fret the string somewhere around the middle (12th and then use right hand to grab the string between the thumb and 1 or 2 forefingers.
3). 50 aggressive (but quick) back-n-forth stretches grabbing between the 12th fret and nut, and another 50 between the 12th fret and bridge. Tune back up to pitch.

Do this for each string, the correct amount of force varies by guage, but give em a really good yank. Works equally well for whammys and hardtails. Lately I've been restringing my gig guitars during set breaks at gigs, I've had no issues slipping out of tune during the next set.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Try not to have too much string on the tuner and use a good locking wrap on it.
Then give em a good stretch.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I do the following:

• Check the saddles and the nut
  • String it up - I've always liked a few wraps around the post
  • Tune the guitar sharp
  • stretch the strings by bending - or just pulling on them until they go flat
  • Retune to standard tuning. I always go past the note (go sharp) and then back to it.
  • stretch again (same method)
  • re-tune to pitch
  • play until tuning is stable
  • check intonation and adjust if necessary.

·
Registered
788 Posts
on strats, I clean the nut slots then polish the saddles a bit with 4000 grit micro mesh at every string swap to prevent burs from forming.....stretch, tune, stretch....always tune up to pitch when done, if I go sharp, I retune up to pitch.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm a stretch and tune guy too. Most of my guitars are hardtails so it doesn't take as long as with the trem unit guitars.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ok my turn!!

Tune up. Grab string at 12th fret and pull up. Fret at 3rd fret grab at 12 and pull up. Tune again. Repeat once and 98% of the time I'm good to go.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hamm Guitars said:
I do the following:

[*]String it up - I've always liked a few wraps around the post
I always go past the note (go sharp) and then back to it.
These are 2 thing I never do.
I find if I leave too much string on the post, there's a chance that the string might leave contact with the post right over the bump where the string has bent through the post hole. Then I would have trouble holding a tune with that string because with strumming/vibration it would always fall off the bump and become flat. Or it would jump right past the note every time I would get close. (sorry if I'm not making sense) Now that I have locking tuners, I don't leave any extra string on the post, problem solved!

As for tuning past the note and then back to pitch, Thats never worked for me. My guitar teacher got me out of that 15 years ago. I've got no explanation but in my experience tuning *up* is the only way to go.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Metal#J# said:
These are 2 thing I never do.
I find if I leave too much string on the post, there's a chance that the string might leave contact with the post right over the bump where the string has bent through the post hole. Then I would have trouble holding a tune with that string because with strumming/vibration it would always fall off the bump and become flat. Or it would jump right past the note every time I would get close. (sorry if I'm not making sense) Now that I have locking tuners, I don't leave any extra string on the post, problem solved!

As for tuning past the note and then back to pitch, Thats never worked for me. My guitar teacher got me out of that 15 years ago. I've got no explanation but in my experience tuning *up* is the only way to go.
I agree with 'tuning up' because it takes the slack out of the tuners,especially on older slightly worn vintage stuff,

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
OK so its my turn now...I've been trying this and it seems to work OK

Use a decent tuner
1. tune high E open string dead on
2. tune open B string a hair sharp ( I mean a thin hair OK )
3. tune the rest of strings dead on using 7th fret harmonics)

I read this semewhere and it works fine.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTmaker said:
OK so its my turn now...I've been trying this and it seems to work OK
Use a decent tuner
I read this semewhere and it works fine.

...a new (to me) approach! thanks!

and thanks to everyone for the input. much appreciated.

-dh

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
david henman said:
...seems pretty basic, but i'm curious about what other players have learned and experienced.

i use a stretch and tune method - stretch and tune over and over until everything seems to be stable. with my whammy equipped guitars, i stretch the strings with my fingers and aggressively work the whammy bar, then tune each string, back and forth until the tuning appears to be stable.

however, i rarely see other guitarists go to such lengths to tune up.

which makes me wonder if i am going to extremes, or if there are "tricks of the trade" of which i am unaware.

-dh
I apply roughly the same technique, I can stand to be corrected though.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GuitarsCanada said:
I apply roughly the same technique, I can stand to be corrected though.
...me, too, which is why i started the thread. i have been using this method for so long i began to wonder if i might have fallen out of step. every once in a while you have to question what you do. in the end, i did learn something by asking (from GTmaker):

although i tend to tune the b string a hair flat. hmmm...

-dh

·
Registered
822 Posts
david henman said:
...me, too, which is why i started the thread. i have been using this method for so long i began to wonder if i might have fallen out of step. every once in a while you have to question what you do. in the end, i did learn something by asking (from GTmaker):

although i tend to tune the b string a hair flat. hmmm...

-dh
Here's someone else's opinion on using 7th fret harmonics.
http://www.stagepass.com/tuning.html

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Im so damed confused about this tuning stuff, its driving me crazy.
Use the seventh fret...dont use the seventh fret.
use harmonics...never use harmonics.

Will any of this help me play in the proper key?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GTmaker said:
Im so damed confused about this tuning stuff, its driving me crazy.
Use the seventh fret...dont use the seventh fret.
use harmonics...never use harmonics.
Will any of this help me play in the proper key?

...no. for that you need the right hair style.:banana:

-dh

1 - 20 of 33 Posts