The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my new Traynor 15 Watt Tube amp I find myself a bit worried that I will burn out the tubes to fast.
The amp has two channels with #1 being what I call the Dirty Channel, Gain and Volume. #2 is the clean with the seperate tones, gain, Volume, Reverb and Bright switch.

So, living in an apartment I have to keep the volume down but like the gain up..With the gain around 6 and volume just under 1 I feel I am hurting it..Am I?
The gain up volume up and tone adjusted by the guitar volume you guys talk about does not seem to do much with my EPI Zakk Wylde.. Am I missing something?

Couple other questions.
1, Heat managment, does it need a fan or let it run hot.
2, Mechanical Maint, do you have to get in there and tighten connections every so often?
3, What is a good life span for a tube?

If you have any other tube amp tips please let me know.
Bev

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Hi. I have the same amp - but the wine red model. Been using it much like you are and have had it for almost three years now without a problem. I've switched to using pedals though. I find that the Traynor's OD isn't that great for the heavy stuff. I've just picked up a Keeley modded DS-1 which works great. But at low volumes I would really recommend that Radial Tonebone Hot British. You can set the pedal for the tone you want the play it as quietly as you want. As for all the other questions you had, I really have no answer for you other than I've had no problem with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well to start with,your amp's dirty channel has a gain knob and a volume.The gain knob loads the preamp section and a trickle is fed to the power tubes with the main volume.The tubes will last a long time that way.If you were to crank all the knobs to full and play,that would be harder on output tubes.As is the power tubes are loafing.
Tube life is hard to estimate because they don't make tubes like they used to.They could last years or minutes.Your guess is as good as mine.It's best to get spare set.
As far as tightening up stuff in your amp,stick to things like speaker bolts and cabinet hardware.Don't open up the back of the amp unless you know what you are doing.There are potentially lethal voltages inside.Even after the amp is turned off and the power cord is not plugged in.
The traynor amps seem to be well built,so just play it and enjoy it.

www.claramps.com

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I checked into the Tone Bone and may pick it up. I also tried out the MXR 30 db boost pedal and that had a nice sound with great gain. It only has the Volume and on switch on it, very simple.
Its a keeper, the gain now sounds completly different even at low levels.

A bit off topic, I wanted a new guitar with a JB and 59 PUPs... I found a used set at Songbird for $150 installed with strings. I put them in my Zakk, can't wait to try them out but have to wait till Friday..

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Don't worry about a fan bro your not running you amp hot at a master volumn of 1.
Having said that a fan is a good thing for your amp but also attracts dust.

Khing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts