The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, forum friends,
I need some help on this one.
I have a Marshall 425A Cab with 4x25watt Celestion speakers.
I am not sure how to set the slider switch to match the impedance on my Friedman Mini Shirley. The amp has two options 8 & 16 ohms however I am not certain how to set the slider on my cab to match the amp head...
The slider has the 4&16 ohms options as well as 8ohm stereo
I have provided pics to illustrate the cabs slider selector below
I am paranoid and do not want to blow a transformer or anything else
Thanks in advance!

NN

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you....I really get paranoid about this stuff, I have extreme fears of blowing my amp....haha
This G12C25 Celestion Cab is amazing, I almost forgot how glorious a 4x12 can sound after playing through a 1x12 & 2x12 for the last 2 yrs....
Such a huge sound it really fills out the room !!!!

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
You could also play it with the switch set to stereo / 8 ohms and amp set to 8 ohms as well. But you would only be using 2 of the speakers, not all 4. Variety is the spice of life. I imagine the Friedman would also tolerate a 2:1 impedance mismatch (8 ohm amp to 16 ohm cab) but I would never do that with a Marshall. Their OT's are notorious for being fragile and underbuilt.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I wouldn't worry about blowing a transformer. They are generally pretty rugged. Fender shorts their output jacks and some boutique builders put in a 100 ohm resistor across the output to keep the amp happy with no speaker attached. Where you might more easily blow a transformer is when the jack is open circuit with no cab and you try for a while getting sound out of it by diming the amp and repeatedly hammering on your strings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts