The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for suggestions on the best foot tapping blues grooves for acoustic playing/singing. I'm getting totally lost in the sea of youtube video lessons. I'm having a hard time finding lessons through the piles and piles of turnaround or lick lessons or beginner blues. I mean all good stuff, but I want to learn some good roots stuff. full songs

Preferably nothing too technical (altered tuning/or advanced slide etc) as I'd like to start messing around with a suitcase drum with it also. So simple, basic grooves. Tasty blues that everyone loves

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
No idea what your tastes are but you might try If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day. Good blues beat, has some easy slide to add flavor. The example below is done with electrics but it works acoustically, especially with another player on a resonator.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Whitehorse does a cool acoustic cover of the very old blues tune Big Boss Man. I wasn't familiar with it, and found most covers are very fast. But they do this one nice and slow, especially on the studio version. Link to live is below. Beware Luke plays in open E so don't try to mimic him. Just listen. It's a standard blues in E.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How about sliding delta, crow jane, m & o blues, keb mo's covers/stuff (love blues, kind hearted woman, etc) All easy to pick up. (I'm on my third burbon, that's what I've got top of my head. )

Seriously though, I'd suggest pick up a pawnshop yamaha, tune it to d/dminor and check out skip james, fred mcdowall, it'll open up another world.
(you'll need another for open g in no time. ;) )

Check out this as well. Brad Wall's son Colter. Young gentleman has exquisite mastery of the little walkdowns/up. All very useful in basic e type blues
Here's how to play it. :)
I've been keeping one guitar in C for RL Burnside songs: C F A# D# G C Super cool tuning for everything from oh, the top line of the post and stuff like chris smither and the early billie holiday but does Not work for the above song. I find standard's too high for me, I ended up tuning standard down 1 whole step.

I'm no expert, just a guy who enjoys playing, just trying to help, hope that gives you some ideas.

·
Registered
15,914 Posts
Wow--too many to pick one--so I did it at random...

Reactions: brucew
1 - 10 of 10 Posts