The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just aquired a Roland Acoustic Chorus AC-60 amplifier. It seems like a nice little amp but I play upright bass and if I can I would like to pull the stock speakers and go with something that can better handle the lower frequencies for my instrument. I am looking at these little guys "Aura NS6-255-8A 6" Paper Cone Neodymium Magnet Woofer" from www.parts-express.com! for not much money. Sounds like good value for discount price. These speakers are however 8 ohm and the Roland spec says the amp comes with 2 x 30 watt 4 ohm speakers. Not sure if its worth tinkering with or just sell it to someone wanting to use it for its inteded use which I guess is 6 string acoustic guitar and then buy another one but I would prefer to modify it if it can be done cost effectivly for my needs. I don't need big volume but decent tone is more important in a small package. I pretty much got the amp for free so it doesnt owe me anything, I would prefer to refit the speakers but not sure if the amplifier itself will work as a bass amp if I simply install new speakers and also not sure about putting 8 ohms speakers in place of the 4 ohm's Any help much appreciated, and thanks......wayne

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
Welcome to the GC forum!

I know very little about bass amps, but I think you would be somewhat disappointed trying to use this amp for bass.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
As near as I can tell this is a stereo amp, meaning there are two power amp sections each driving one 4 ohm speaker. That also means they aren't in parallel. You could install the two 8 ohm speakers you're looking at, but that then brings up a whole other set of issues. Less power being one. The bigger issue is whether the replacement speakers would even give you more or deeper bass. They could be worse. Without knowing the specs on the original speaker (besides impedance) you are taking a shot in the dark.
Why not just eq the amp with the tone controls to give you what you want. If the tone stack isn't capable of the needed tone, then I doubt the speaker replacement will give you much more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info folks. The specs on the new little speakers I am looking at do go into lower freq compared to the stock rolands. The issue with EQ settings for the tone I want is I have to cut the bass a far bit to get rid of kind of a fluttering I am hearing with the lower frequencies so I am loosing too much low end. There is a sub out port on the back of the amp but when I try this to a little pwered seperate sub I have, the flutter sound is still coming from the Roland in the lower frequencies. Good point on the stereo at 4 ohms each, I need a set of 4 ohm i figure if I am going to try this.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I find for bass, the enclosure is more limiting on the low end than the actual speaker. In other words, a bigger box will do more than a replacement speaker.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You are trying to turn a Chevy impala into a dump truck.

Why not sell the Roland (you should be able to get $300,if in top shape) and cruise Kijiji for a small bass amp. Most cities have a dozen or more on sale at any time for $150 and up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ron, I am sure you are right. I just hate the hastle of selling stuff. I figured as the amp pretty much cost me nothing why not try and make it work for my instrument. I would never buy this amp at retail and then butcher it up like this that is for sure. Maybe I just give it to my son who playes 6 string and not mess with it as its a decent amp for its intended purpose. It was just too tempting not to throw 50 bucks at it if speakers would help but like you say Ron, why? It is the perfect size power and weight for what I want in an amp but maybe its time to just let it rest.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
You could easily get a decent used bass amp for less than $200. If you are going to use it for gigging, you might need to spend a little bit more than that

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I guess when I read about an amp like this one Acoustic Image Double Bass Amp - Coda S4 PLUS for Upright Bass I dont want or feel like I need a huge box.
Well, the newer way of thinking is to pump mega-watts ;) into smaller enclosures with smaller speakers. Note the power output of the amp you linked.
The old way was less power into bigger enclosures.
It's a matter of personal preference I guess, but any time I use a cab that seems extra deep (physical dimension) I'm impressed by how much better the low end response is. So I tend to suggest extra cabs to improve the bass sound.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wayne, the Acoustic Image amp has been engineered to be small, light and capable of reproducing the low end of the audio spectrum. They sound amazing, and they are expensive. The Roland AC amps were engineered for a whole different purpose and even if you could swap the speaker from the Acoustic Image amp you would not make the Roland a bass amp. The speaker is only one of the components in a successful design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts