The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on a good brand of contact cleaner to use on guitar pots as well as pots and controls on pedals and rack gear as well as where to buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Deoxit is the gold standard and priced like it. The problem I have is the residue it leaves. There is silicon in it and it does not evaporate completely. I use it, but in small amounts to finish up a cleaning job. The best I've found that evaporates completely is MG Chemicals. Clean with that and then a little Deoxit.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Ordered some at L&M and got it on Amazon.ca for $10 cheaper. Have the stuff and all looks good with the purchase. Cancelled my L&M order.

Update: I should have added that I only wanted something to spray on a few scratchy knobs on my old Yamaha EMX250 powered PA and the reviews online were very positive.

Cleaner Caig D5S-6 Deoxit Spray (5% Solution)
Sold by importcds__
Condition: New
CDN$ 22.95

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Whats better Ford or Chevy or Dodge?

Can we skip the quasi-technical bullshit this time around?

They all work. USE SPARINGLY.

IMG_0498.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Recommended by the guy who built $5000 worth of amps for me. But what does he know? Here we go again... lol.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Anything that leaves a residue will attract as much dust as WD. Just sayin.
Just be sure to pass on the brake or carb cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Anything that leaves a residue will attract as much dust as WD. Just sayin.
Just be sure to pass on the brake or carb cleaner.
But the dust will be highly conductive, resistant to oxidation, and lubricated to minimize abrasion.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Listen to JB. He da man.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
WD-40 stinks too.
Lol. OK you win!

dtsaudio claims deoxit leaves a residue as well. If so, I wouldn't use it or WD40 on a potentiometer or any other moving or visible part. OK for sockets and jacks. Also, one shot in an emergency on anything will hurt nothing (except your nose?). It ain't radioactive waste.

I wonder if a guy can still get that Blue Diamond Contact Cleaner. It says it is residue free. That can has been around forever. The Electrical 88 (even older) looks like nothing more than a Canadian rip-off of WD40. Not the best, even if it is as vintage as a tone wheel organ.

The Peavey Funk Out leaves no trace. Great stuff. Used it yesterday. Tiny squirt worked like magic. Do they still make it?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I use CFC brand because I get it for free from work. Personally I think they are all the same chemicals. I use the one that leaves no residue

1 - 20 of 61 Posts