The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's some new old stock floating around for a decent price. None left at L&M to try. The only review I can find (vs just wordless playing demos - it sounds pretty good - rather LPish with those pups) says he's sending it back for 'poor quality' but gives absolutely no details so I have no idea if he's just picky or there's actual issues with this run. Another vid I saw shows what looks like orange peel on the back of the neck but not sure if I'm botherred (this will be a mod platform to some degree at least; pickups and hardware to start) - also that could be a function of lighting vs meetalic finish.

Gibson - Non-Reverse Firebird Ltd in Vintage Copper

and that one kinda useless review:

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,444 Posts
I have a FB V.

I tried a 2015 non reverse made for Japan guitar at LM all prepared to like it.

It was nice but I like my FB a lot better.

Last time I looked they had a non reverse at Bloor and also at Steeles.

Be a good idea to play one first unless you're already familiar with them and even then they are all a little different.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless it’s a neck-thru it’s not really a Firebird.
Non- reverse firebirds were never neck thru ( not even back in the 60s when they came out). Agreed re regular reverse style firebirds though.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a FB V.

I tried a 2015 non reverse made for Japan guitar at LM all prepared to like it.

It was nice but I like my FB a lot better.

Last time I looked they had a non reverse at Bloor and also at Steeles.

Be a good idea to play one first unless you're already familiar with them and even then they are all a little different.
Those Japanese ones with the tv white transparent fin and 3 P 90s are hot, but literally double the price.

Thanks for the tip re bloor having one. I am familiar but it’s been a while. I just don’t think I can pull off a reverse. For the price Im seeing on these I might have to risk it. The return policy is flexible enough.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,444 Posts
I was reluctant to buy the reverse but it's turned out to be my best guitar. It was 2015 old stock and got more off it than I expected. Took awhile to get used to it. But yeah, the return policy is good so maybe take a run at the non reverse see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I have wanted a non-reverse for a couple of years now. L&M price is stuck at $1700. I want to pay a bit less than that, so I'm waiting. The ones I've tried are well-made, I love the design and want a mini humbucker guitar. Still pondering…

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was reluctant to buy the reverse but it's turned out to be my best guitar. It was 2015 old stock and got more off it than I expected. Took awhile to get used to it. But yeah, the return policy is good so maybe take a run at the non reverse see how it goes.
I meant the Vintage Copper Ltd Ed one online (L&M long sold out and their price wasn't as good because it was before the blowout). I am willing to risk the return shipping (it would be free shipping to me - checked), just trying to do as much research as I can first to avoid disapointment/ decrease risk of major issues (are they dogs, or is that one guy in the vid above too picky or have an issue about something I don't care about at all - all I care about is playability and the neck/fretwork really).

@Fuzzy dagger - Yeah, 1799 is not cheap; these ones online are almost half that, but they have full size PAF style pupss (classic 57 and 57+; pretty good from the demos I've watched). I am planning to change pups (already have a FB mini bridge pup which is the most important to me; thinking single coil in neck, but that can and probably will wait - I was considering a Bonamassa Sig but the one I played left me underwhelmed and these Copper ones are cheaper new than those are used). I'd just buy a body (e.g. from Stratosphere - they have these exact ones, as well as others) but I did the math and at the price these are being blown out for it's worth it to get the full thing. Been looking for basket case 'projects' locally and online for a year or 2 and the few that come up are too damaged for the price. Saw a 90s reverse with broken headstock (just the wood - no hardware at all) go for over US600 from a local seller for example. Unreal - for that much you can get a nonbroken mint new one from Stratosphere; 90s isn't a particularly good vintage or anything. These copper ones are actually very competitively priced compared to anything else I have seen.

Anyway, who the hell bought all these up from L&M 2 years ago; speak up!

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, am I missing something? Like how the heck does someone take a modern era instrument, litterally 2 model years ago (with finish wear/damage - see the butt end of the thing) and expect to get (for all intents and purposes) brand new current model year price for it on Kijiji. I mean, why would I even consider this:

Gibson Firebird Non-Reverse Pelham Blue | Guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

when I could just go to any L&M, any day of the week and grab one of these:

Gibson - Firebird Non-Reverse Ltd Edition - Pelham Blue

And have a brand spanking new not dinged up one, with warranty?

I get that there are 'upgrades' (the wiring one is not to my liking and I think most people would not be into it; cool about the pups; hardware isn't functional, just bling/preference ) but this isn't just a lone kijijiot; ebay pricing is similar (at least the asks; hardly see any of these moving at all).

The 2011 Studios are starting to look good - unlike a reverse; where the studio is set vs thru and lack the raised middle, or even LPs where they lack binding, the non-revs seem pretty much the same aside from pup config. I could deal with 3 P90s, same route size as a mini so can stick the one I got in bridge (or middle actually):

2011 Gibson USA Non-Reverse Firebird Studio Limited Run Pelham Blue | eBay

Still kicking myself for missing this though, hesitated and gone:

Gibson Ebony Black Firebird Non-Reverse Body & Neck | eBay

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, these are so dreamy, but the price is insane (2k used with badly filled hole from moved strap button). Also it always puts me off how these Japanese dealers list the exact same items 3+ times with a different price on each listing.

Le sigh.

Reactions: vadsy

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense, but for 300 bucks more I'd take a brand new one from L&M with 0% financing this month.

Also that Vintage Copper one up top is US$899 new. Used Studios are also <1k. I'll be modding them no matter which I get so makes little diff to me. Theoretically all I need is the body/neck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts