Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No thread yet?

What are your thoughts on the fight?

I have a couple of friends who are really into boxing and pretty offended by the whole thing. They love MMA, but they prefer boxing. They hate the cash grab and have a corksniffer attitude towards mma.

I personally prefer MMA. It's more exciting to me.

When I was younger, I owned a foosball table. There were two ways to play foosball: 1) with passing or dragging the ball, and 2) Fastball (just striking with one-timers)

My friends and I preferred 1, because it was pretty much anything you can do to get the ball in the hole (no spinning). It was more technical to attack and difficult to defend. Fastball was like playing with your hands tied. It was stupid.

That's how I (any many others) view boxing - it's fighting with your hands tied. Still, how about Lomachenko? Jesus, that guy is not from this world.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,845 Posts
No thread yet?

What are your thoughts on the fight?
From a marketing perspective t's a lose-lose for the boxing world IMO.

In simplest terms, if Conor wins by knockout boxing looks really bad. If he wins by decision, boxing looks even worse. Even if he loses but holds his own, boxing still looks pretty bad. The only way this goes for well for the sport of boxing is if Floyd knocks him out (which is highly unlikely), or puts on a picture perfect boxing clinic to a unanimous decision (which is likely to happen.)

The only chance Conor has is a puncher's chance. That chance is significantly reduced with the larger gloves.

I have a couple of friends who are really into boxing and pretty offended by the whole thing. They love MMA, but they prefer boxing. They hate the cash grab and have a corksniffer attitude towards mma.

I personally prefer MMA. It's more exciting to me.

When I was younger, I owned a foosball table. There were two ways to play foosball: 1) with passing or dragging the ball, and 2) Fastball (just striking with one-timers)

My friends and I preferred 1, because it was pretty much anything you can do to get the ball in the hole (no spinning). It was more technical to attack and difficult to defend. Fastball was like playing with your hands tied. It was stupid.

That's how I (any many others) view boxing - it's fighting with your hands tied. Still, how about Lomachenko? Jesus, that guy is not from this world.
Agreed on all points.

And Lomachenko? Unreal!

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
I prefer the old K1 kickboxing, now called Glory, then mma. Pure boxing does nothing for me.

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
I've watched boxing since the mid 70's or so, stopped following the sport maybe 10 years ago. Catch a little once in a while. but only know a few names any more and Lomachenko isn't one of them.

I watch as much MMA as I can find (free, I'm way too cheap to pay for a PPV) pretty much, love it.

I keep thinking Mayweather is going to dominate, and though not likely I'd say has a chance to KO CM. I don't see it going the other way at all.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I also love MMA. best trained athlete's in the world. Boxing has gotten really boring.
I find Mayweather to be a bit of a joke and an insult to the sport. He never fights. I would not be scared at all to step in the ring with him for a round. On the other hand, I would not step in the ring with Mcgregor as he could literally kill me in 25 seconds if he wanted to.
This fight, for all the hype will also probably be boring. Floyd is not gonna get anywhere near Conor.
I read somewhere, his training method is to run 25k a day...........................backwards.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I prefer MMA but I hate the obvious cash that this fight is. Mind you, I'll be watching it but I'd never pay for it.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's a cash grab, plain and simple. It won't do justice to either boxing or MMA.
That said ... I may grab a beer and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think every event is a cash grab - this one is just a juicier and more hyped product.

I also think it'll only do boxing harm. MMA guys will have pretty good excuses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Any guesses on fight time length?

We're playing a private party that night and wondering how long people will be completely distracted... :D

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,845 Posts
Any guesses on fight time length?

We're playing a private party that night and wondering how long people will be completely distracted... :D
Most likely? It will be a boxing clinic until the final bell. Expect at least 30 minutes of no one paying attention to you, followed by another 30 minutes of people half losing interest and sort of paying attention to you.

But, there's always a puncher's chance something else might happen.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
For me the most interesting part will be what Mcgregor does in the clinches. I hope he tosses Floyd to the turf at least once. Conor might get in a lucky punch, but the big wussy boxer has spent 20 years running away from people and has made close to a Billion dollars doing it. He's not gonna go toe to toe with a brawler.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That would be interesting. I wouldn't rule out McGregor losing his shit and throwing the rules out, especiallybif Mayweather pulls the evasive crap.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Anybody that pays for that crap is the biggest sucker of all time

McGregor will just get tired or missing and getting countered, he'll quit, just like he did against Diaz
Only this time, instead of lying flat on his stomach, he'll just lean against the ropes with his gloves over his face, waiting for the ref to stop it

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would be interesting. I wouldn't rule out McGregor losing his shit and throwing the rules out, especiallybif Mayweather pulls the evasive crap.
I'm pretty certain this all about the money for him, so I'd bet against him throwing it all away. One thing I've noticed about him is that he's not an emotional fighter, so he shouldn't lose it here. Still ,who knows?

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Anybody that pays for that crap is the biggest sucker of all time

McGregor will just get tired or missing and getting countered, he'll quit, just like he did against Diaz
Only this time, instead of lying flat on his stomach, he'll just lean against the ropes with his gloves over his face, waiting for the ref to stop it
I can't see connor getting tired or quitting here, just because mma is much more draining - it's essentially violent resistance training that drains your muscles to failure. I think that fact that he's getting punched with pillows will also help him.

If I've ever paid for UFC, it would have been UFC 2, 3, or 4. I can't remember if they were on PPV back then.

However, I will be paying for this one, because I'm having a bunch of guys over. You can appreciate that we'll be saving a lot of money on booze and food while avoiding potential scraps, since the local Hooters will be packed with 'tough guys'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts